Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

So....episode 4 is out now. Watched it. It wasn't as strong as the first three episodes but it was still very entertaining. Bryce Howard did a very fine job.

But, baby Yoda continues to steal the show. Mandalorian is a bad ass and Cora is a great addition. But, who cares when baby Yoda is waddling around eating frogs?We have now reached the halfway point on season 1. Four more shows to go.

By the way, where is the merchandise for this show, including baby Yoda?

I cant find anything in stores anywhere.
I'm going to have to see if I can get this Disney+ thing. My wife wanted to watch CBSAA for DISC s2, but we haven't found any way to get that through our TV because it seems that it doesn't get recognized by certain services because it is more than 2 years old. The option would be to watfh on the (much smaller) computer, so we have skipped that. and I definitely don't want to watch MANDALORIAN or any of the other high-rez Disney stuff on it either. Ditto for the Apple series FOR ALL MANKIND -- if I watch it, I want to see it properly.
Thanks for the mention. My rough on this one was like 6000 words, there is just so much to the way the various vendors and processes have to come together to make it work! Even sent something to Focal Press suggesting a whole book on this, starting with ancient history of Magicam and IntroVision as basis for in-camera virtual production, but never even got an acknowledgement.

(also lost a small sidebar piece on the miniature work -- while mocon ship stuff was ILM guys, there were other miniatures done by Dave Asling's CCI -- that'll probably turn up online at VFXVOICE in a month or so.)
I first found out about your piece on twitter.

I thought that Mos Eisley painting looked familiar! 8)

But what is moire? Is that the screen looking appearance these things could have if not done right?

How much of what we are seeing in the ships is the miniatures? Any idea about the percentages?

Did you ever find out about Glenn Derry? Last I read, he was a vfx executive at Fox. Technoprops hasn't updated their twitter for about two years.
Not sure about Derry.

The moire effect manifests if you see the screen too clearly -- kind of like getting the jaggies on a computer screen. I remember seeing moire effects on the PATTON laserdisc, and on cable when seeing Harrison Ford's suit in Venice in LAST CRUSADE, it's like there's too much info to resolve.

I still haven't seen the show because my TVs aren't supported for apple+, so I have no idea what shots were, let alone how they were broken up, outside of them saying that they tried to Razor Crest as a miniature whenever there weren't radical maneuvers -- the usual business of 'if you have to change the mount in mid-shot, better to CG it.'

I'm not on social media at all, I guess I better wake up and smell the 00s and the teens before it's too late.
Some ILMers have mentioned that they were changing things up right on set. I assume that is the Brain Bar crew Kevin? What is a Brain Bar? I keep thinking of Cantina Crew every time I hear that. :lol:

This stuff is exciting. It seems like real time Rear Projection. One crew member mentioned they were asked for a different angle and they were able to do it. I would be curious to know the "down time" in between changes.
BB is, if I remember it right, are like realtime TDs, the group that handles stuff like the re-lighting, changing things so the plate -- along with the DP and director -- can 'inform' the lights on set to mimic direction and intensity and create appropriate shadow effects. If they were doing this for trek it would probably be called the 'make it so' crew! I really need to reread my longer cut and go over the AC article very carefully when I'm out from under the QUIET PLACE and CALL OF WILD stories and a book review I've got to deliver tomorrow.

Still not sure if Bond and Picard will happen for summer VFX VOICE or not -- CBS strangely silent for a LONG time now (reminds me of how DISCOVERY article didn't happen) and Bond people still trying to figure out if they can put a supe on the phone with me in time and provide pics for print deadline.

Still not sure if Bond and Picard will happen for summer VFX VOICE or not -- CBS strangely silent for a LONG time now (reminds me of how DISCOVERY article didn't happen) and Bond people still trying to figure out if they can put a supe on the phone with me in time and provide pics for print deadline.
I would like to know your thoughts on Picard. Have you watched it yet?
Saw ep 1 on youtube and thought it was pretty alright, though the contemporary slang really bugged me, along with the action staging, which made me think folks had watched too much of ALTERED CARBON without knowing how to actually do ALTERED CARBON. Have a credibility issue with the premise, that Picard just dropped out, but then again I was never a fan of the character to begin with, or at least how Stewart seemed to play him a lot of the time. The enlightened aspect was one thing, but he often seemed to have some kind of serious retro-Old-King aspect that seemed inappropriate given the much-touted enlightenment.

I do like the idea of Starfleet/Fed gone bad a whole lot, wanted that explored decades ago with original crew in feature era, since they already had a political paranoia thing going in ST3 and ST6 with Fed security telling McCoy what he could and couldn't talk about in public!

It's miles better than DSC, I'll give it that ... so far, anyway.