Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By aslan
Fuck this.

Exactly the dumb fuck bullshit I knew it would be. I loathe, loathe, loathe this sack of shits hateful output.
By ShaneP
Calm the Bay-rage. :D

And I forgot this was a Netflix. I think when it was first announced was before The Irishman was fully picked up by Netflix and Bay's movie at that time was the most expensive for Netflix.
By TylerMirage
Usual admirable blend of practical and VFX work, so of course I'm going to watch it.

Hot take: Worst part of this movie will be Ryan Reynolds giving us his Deadpool performance #29.
Calm the Bay-rage. :D

And I forgot this was a Netflix. I think when it was first announced was before The Irishman was fully picked up by Netflix and Bay's movie at that time was the most expensive for Netflix.
I see that the budget is $150 million, apparently, and that just blows my mind. Blows my mind that Netflix (You're Greenlit) would green-light something so expensive given that seems like a hefty chunk of change to try and recoup and also because Bay would agree to that budget. Transformers films aside, he usually likes to keep a mid-range kind of budget. So unless this movie is secretly 3 hours long or has an extended fully CG sequence, I'm interested in seeing what the money's being spent on...
By TylerMirage
Actually 150 milion $ is the average budget of a Micheal Bay' s motion picture since 1998.
If you count the five $150-$220 million Transformers films, yes, but that's why I said:
Transformers films aside
:) Take that franchise out of the equation and his average budget is more in the $50-$100 million range. He's not a filmmaker that wants bloated costs.

Consider his recent non-Transformers movies like Pain & Gain and 13 Hours had budgets of approximately $30 million and $50 million, respectively.

His negotiations to direct Lobo were based on WB bringing the budget way, way down from what it was originally.

The films he produces like the horror movie remakes have pretty economical budgets ($10-$40 million) and even the live-action TMNT films that you'd think would have budgets of a super large scale were roughly $130 million each, and those had a lot of costly effects work in them.

Heck, The Rock's $75 million budget in 1996 would be something like, what, $115 million in today's time? Maybe $125 million? In the age of ballooning budgets, that's still on the lower end of the "big budget" spectrum.

So that's why I'm interested in knowing where this reported $150 million is going in the movie, because at first glance it seems like the kind of movie that should be more mid-range for budget, especially for a Netflix release. $150 million is pretty pricey for a movie with a.) no CGI robots, alien planets or motion-captured leads b.) from a director who likes to keep things tight and c.) for a 'studio' that doesn't seem to be primed for making huge profits. :eek:
By vfx fan
I still think it looks really fun.

On a semi-related note, the second SONIC trailer is much improved. I don't know, but was this one of the movies ILM was involved in for character design?
By Kmart
In terms of where the budget went, I can contribute reading in the last couple days that Reynolds is getting 27 mil for this. It was a piece showing how current salaries are going, mentioning Phoenix got 4.5 for JOKER and Chastain got 2.5 for IT pt 2.
By ShaneP
I still think it looks really fun.

On a semi-related note, the second SONIC trailer is much improved. I don't know, but was this one of the movies ILM was involved in for character design?
Oh I agree it looks like fun. It's just the trailer is full of signature Bay stuff.

About Sonic, I'm not really sure if ILM worked on the design development or not. But I'm glad Paramount changed his look. The original movie one looked terrible. This new one is close enough to the classic.

Kmart, Reynolds gets 27 million for this?! :eek: