Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By ShaneP
Really. There is a time and place for everything. Some would say it should have ended in 2005 with the release of Revenge of the Sith, but it didn't. Disney has now had their shot with the sequel trilogy full of mediocrity and a very good Rogue One and okay, not terrible, Solo(the spin offs have been the best thing about Disney SW. Never thought that would happen but here we are!).

But really, if you are not going to respect the legacy of the franchise that allowed you to get to this point, end it. Have some dignity and end it. Stop embarrassing yourselves and fandom and end it. You don't need to milk it like a mindless corporate entity to tick up quarterly earnings! End it.

It is sad too because ILM's and Scanlan's work on the Disney era films has been exceptional. A+ all the way. I like the aesthetic they have employed to capture stuff in camera and the animatronic and practical creature work and inventive ideas employed for some creatures. But the story and characters dont rise to that same level.
By aslan
It's time for this site to end, really. Three or four people post here and it's a hollow voice in a vacuum. If we're going to respect it's past as an interesting site then we should just have some dignity and let it die.

ILM should also end. Others do the work better now and they no longer win Oscars or dominate the field. It's just a business now, and if it's employees really respected the legacy of past achievements, they should just walk away.

America needs to end. It's betrayed it's noble ideals and is now just Christian Isis. Sure, the aesthetics were sometimes good, and there were great people, but it's not good today, and as things don't ever get better it needs to stop.

The human race has to end. It's a failed evolutionary experiment that is now just damaging it's creator. Sure, the aesthetics were sometimes good, and there were great people of kindness and intelligence, but if we truly respect the legacy of this planet we should just all kill ourselves.

The universe should end if it has any pride or dignity. It's too big, and cold, and uncaring. Sure, the aesthetics were sometimes good, but there was too much mediocrity and empty space.
By ShaneP
America needs to end. It's betrayed it's noble ideals and is now just Christian Isis. Sure, the aesthetics were sometimes good, and there were great people, but it's not good today, and as things don't ever get better it needs to stop.
America would end but the Brits are getting in our way at the apocalyptic door.

And America can't end yet. Kmart has all of those guilty pleasure movies on blu ray to tell us about.

And what is going on with the latest Bond film? First there was an explosion on set and the Craig gets hurt.
By Kmart
See, we can reach consensus on world-dividing issues with just a few posts. Why aren't WE in charge of brokering peace in the Middle East (like I'd really want to touch that one with a 3,000 km pole!)

(edit addon: I even manged to post that response without mentioning Craig ... till a minute later, now.)
By PaulILMFan
Really. There is a time and place for everything. Some would say it should have ended in 2005 with the release of Revenge of the Sith, but it didn't. Disney has now had their shot with the sequel trilogy full of mediocrity and a very good Rogue One and okay, not terrible, Solo(the spin offs have been the best thing about Disney SW. Never thought that would happen but here we are!).

But really, if you are not going to respect the legacy of the franchise that allowed you to get to this point, end it. Have some dignity and end it. Stop embarrassing yourselves and fandom and end it. You don't need to milk it like a mindless corporate entity to tick up quarterly earnings! End it.

It is sad too because ILM's and Scanlan's work on the Disney era films has been exceptional. A+ all the way. I like the aesthetic they have employed to capture stuff in camera and the animatronic and practical creature work and inventive ideas employed for some creatures. But the story and characters dont rise to that same level.
When Lucas sold to Disney it did end really :wink: But now when they need Lucas & the last 2 movies were financial underperformers low & behold the creator is suddenly welcome again & Disney actually used some of his original fan pleasing ideas for the next movie :omg:

Underwater Death Star ruins
Emperor (clone or original?) return
Luke Skywalker being given more to do & may or may not still be alive

Disney probably only have half their $4b investment back on Lucasfilm they are going to have to make many more Star Wars products before they see the original investment let alone a profit so I think its safe to say sooner or later there will be more TV series & more movies :roll:

Until these big event movies fail its just going to be more of the same mindless boring VFX blowouts (never thought I would say that either!).

Give adults real stories, real drama, physical onset FX, incamera opticals & creative but interesting writing otherwise watch the streaming industry become the home to anything not a $200m plus comicbook or blockbuster tenpole :e_sad:
By ShaneP
When Lucas sold to Disney it did end really :wink: But now when they need Lucas & the last 2 movies were financial underperformers low & behold the creator is suddenly welcome again & Disney actually used some of his original fan pleasing ideas for the next movie :omg:

Disney probably only have half their $4b investment back on Lucasfilm they are going to have to make many more Star Wars products before they see the original investment let alone a profit so I think its safe to say sooner or later there will be more TV series & more movies :roll:

Until these big event movies fail its just going to be more of the same mindless boring VFX blowouts (never thought I would say that either!).

Give adults real stories, real drama, physical onset FX, incamera opticals & creative but interesting writing otherwise watch the streaming industry become the home to anything not a $200m plus comicbook or blockbuster tenpole :e_sad:
I've been reading about Lucas being a part of IX. I hope they involve him in the final film of the Skywalker saga.
By PaulILMFan

I've been reading about Lucas being a part of IX. I hope they involve him in the final film of the Skywalker saga.
They did involve Lucas by reusing his story ideas which were rejected for The Force Awakens! Lucas also spent some time with JJ on these story points. As always when money is concerned they go back to the source (Lucas) when the last 2 movies unperformed maybe just maybe Lucas was right all along about how it is possible to go too far & destroy a franchise with a single movie :frown: