Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

#33547
Like the title says, currently there's 20 movies in the running for the Oscar.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/9 ... ects-oscar

Alien: Covenant
Beauty and the Beast
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
Ghost in the Shell
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Justice League
Kong: Skull Island
Life
Logan
Ojka
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
The Shape of Water
Spider-Man Homecoming
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Thor: Ragnarok
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
War for the Planet of the Apes
Wonder Woman

Some surprising and some not-so-surprising omissions and entries.

I'll try to keep this thread updated when they narrow down the list each time.

My personal guess as to the Bake-Off 10 from this list:

Alien: Covenant
Beauty and the Beast
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk (Academy can't resist Nolan and his "doesn't use CGI" VFX movies)
Kong: Skull Island (for Kong, duh)
The Shape of Water (artsy film that isn't bombarding the audience with CG monsters or robots)
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (because it's Star Wars)
Thor: Ragnarok
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
War for the Planet of the Apes (duh)
Last edited by TylerMirage on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#33549
Okja is a South Korean Movie by the great director Bong-Joon Ho(Memories of a Murder, Snowpiercer, The Host). While the movie itself is ,imho, the worst film of this director, it has some really great cg animation for the title creature, the Okja.
About the 20 vfx contenders, i'm a bit surprised of Transformers 5 snub and i agree with Tyler 's 10 list.
#33550
Okja had some really great creature animation, especially when you consider that it's NOT a huge American studio Hollywood kind of movie, and that it had a relatively small budget of $50 million.

ninja turtle wrote:About the 20 vfx contenders, i'm a bit surprised of Transformers 5 snub and i agree with Tyler 's 10 list.


Yeah, Tran5formers being left out is the most surprising, personally. I know you're probably all thinking that I'm just a butthurt Transformers fan who's mad that they left it out (you wouldn't be wrong :lol: ), but...really? Sure, there were some less-than-stellar shots (there always are, with any movie), sure it didn't offer up much of anything new compared to the previous four movies (but in my opinion, neither did Guardians, Jumanji, Justice League, Logan or Wonder Woman and especially not Spider-Meh), but not even in the top 20? I'll even admit that TF5 wouldn't deserve the win - and heck, it doesn't deserve to be in the final five nominees - but it's a joke that it's not in the top 20.

Grumblegrumble I wouldn't be so mad if the first Transformers won the Oscar grumblegrumble ;)
#33554
ShaneP wrote:Well, this last Transformers movie was absolutely awful. But the vfx was some of the best of the year IMHO. Leaving it off a long list is pretty ridiculous.


You thought it had some of the best stuff of the year? Good to hear. :) Off-topic, so feel free to reply in the TF5 thread (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2930&start=20), but what's your full, detailed breakdown of thoughts on the VFX?
#33555
Yeah, now that you mention it, I forgot that TRANSFORMERS 5 wasnt on the list. Yes, it was awful, but the way the film didn't give a shit made it a bit artful. I thought the butler robot was amusing, alomg with Anthony Hopkins's ridiculous one-liners like, "What a bitchen car!"

I thought it was ultimately the most enjoyable of the sequels.

Oh yeah, and fuck you IMDb for moving fx studio information over to IMDb Pro. :evil:
#33557
vfx fan wrote:Yeah, now that you mention it, I forgot that TRANSFORMERS 5 wasnt on the list. Yes, it was awful, but the way the film didn't give a shit made it a bit artful. I thought the butler robot was amusing, alomg with Anthony Hopkins's ridiculous one-liners like, "What a bitchen car!"

I thought it was ultimately the most enjoyable of the sequels.

Oh yeah, and fuck you IMDb for moving fx studio information over to IMDb Pro. :evil:


Well we've mentioned off and on here about how user unfriendly IMDb is becoming. I guess they just want to clinch it now with paywalls.

Yeah, let's make lotsa lotsa money. It's not enough that Bezos' Amazon is riding a Post Office subsidy to save on shipping and swamping that agency under mountains of parcels and low morale, but now lets pay wall and commoditize the simplest trivia to death on IMDb.
#33583
And now we've got our 10.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/9 ... fects-race

Alien: Covenant
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Kong: Skull Island
Okja
The Shape of Water
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
War for the Planet of the Apes

Looks like I was 8 for 10.

But how can Dunkirk still be in the running when we all know that Nolan hates CGI? :P (Yeah, I know, VFX =/= CGI). Just jokes. I was just at the theatre the other day, and part of their pre-show was to advertise some snippets for Dunkirk's re-release, and two of their points were "In order to avoid using CGI, director Christopher Nolan actually used real Navy ships, sometimes as many as 60 in a single scene" and "Cardboard cutouts were used to help imply large crowds of soldiers".

I'm happy that Valerian is in there, considering it got ripped apart critically. :(

Based on this, my guess for the final five are:

Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
Kong: Skull Island
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
War for the Planet of the Apes

Runner-up alternate option would be Valerian swapped in for either Kong or Blade Runner.
#33588
My five:
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Last Jedi
War for the Planet of the Apes
Kong: Skull Island

Winner:
War.

Weta's work was brilliant even though the movie was not. Well deserved.

My personal pick would be Dunkirk but there is no way it's gonna win, not against those bigger spectacles.
#33589
I'm sorry, am I living in a world where DUNKIRK wasn't a spectacle? It was essentially GRAVITY with airplanes (and absolutely no CGI whatsoever)!

I hated WAR, not for the fx work, but for its preachy on-the-nose political messages. Everytime I see a movie like this, I can just picture the writer smugly sitting back thinking to himself, "I am a goddamn genius." I just want to punch him in the face. I don't care about your politics, Hollywood, just shut up and make movies!

BLADE RUNNER 2049 was certainly impressive, but nothing like what they were able to pull off back in 1982 without computers.

SKULL ISLAND was just so much fun, and probably the best Kong interpretation yet. I liked Jackson's KONG and wasn't bothered by the runtime or Jack Black, but this one was a pure monster movie and I really hope it gets a nomination. (Speaking of Jack Black, he was highly entertaining in the new JUMANJI movie.)

And THE LAST JEDI? Well...it was no doubt the best-looking STAR WARS to date, but I think I overstated it by previously calling it the best since EMPIRE, but it's still quite good. I didn't hate it like the basement dwellers did. An fx, sound, and sound editing nomination are likely a dead lock, but I also think it should score for art direction (aside from Hugh Hefner's, I mean Snoke's chamber, which looked like an incomplete red screen set from STARSHIP TROOPERS) and cinematography.
#33590
vfx fan wrote:I'm sorry, am I living in a world where DUNKIRK wasn't a spectacle? It was essentially GRAVITY with airplanes (and absolutely no CGI whatsoever)!

I hated WAR, not for the fx work, but for its preachy on-the-nose political messages. Everytime I see a movie like this, I can just picture the writer smugly sitting back thinking to himself, "I am a goddamn genius." I just want to punch him in the face. I don't care about your politics, Hollywood, just shut up and make movies!

BLADE RUNNER 2049 was certainly impressive, but nothing like what they were able to pull off back in 1982 without computers.

SKULL ISLAND was just so much fun, and probably the best Kong interpretation yet. I liked Jackson's KONG and wasn't bothered by the runtime or Jack Black, but this one was a pure monster movie and I really hope it gets a nomination. (Speaking of Jack Black, he was highly entertaining in the new JUMANJI movie.)

And THE LAST JEDI? Well...it was no doubt the best-looking STAR WARS to date, but I think I overstated it by previously calling it the best since EMPIRE, but it's still quite good. I didn't hate it like the basement dwellers did. An fx, sound, and sound editing nomination are likely a dead lock, but I also think it should score for art direction (aside from Hugh Hefner's, I mean Snoke's chamber, which looked like an incomplete red screen set from STARSHIP TROOPERS) and cinematography.


? Hey now! True it is a spectacle of a different kind though. I just like historically-based war movies so this was a personal pick. Again, I don't think it will even get a final nod against those vfx juggernauts.
I think War will win. But, I have to expand on why I didn't like the movie that much: all of those Apes films have been absolutely pedestrian story-wise. Same with the characters. The only thing that differentiates them from a bazillion previous movies is….wow….ground-breaking character animation. It is fabulous. But the movies are just dull.

The Last Jedi deserves a final slot for the Muppet Yoda and Porgs alone.

Muppet Yoda or Get Out!
#33594
In regards to Dunkirk, I'd be really surprised if it wasn't in the final five noms.

We can all observe the trend of the VFX Oscar (and other "technical" categories) starting to give the "artsy" movies more love. Gone are the days when having robots or monsters or superheroes in your movie would automatically get you a nom for VFX/sound editing/sound mixing, because the arthouse "Best Picture" flicks are sneaking their way in there. Gone are the days where only the big FX spectacle extravaganzas that shove CGI in your face are the only ones nominated. More and more we're getting movies with "supporting" VFX work nominated.

The Dark Knight (2008)
Inception (2010)
Hereafter (2010)
Hugo (2011)
Life of Pi (2012)
Interstellar (2014)
Ex Machina (2015)
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
The Revenant (2015)
Deepwater Horizon (2016)
Kubo and the Two Strings (2016) - Unless I'm mistaken, the first entirely animated movie to be nominated.

Three of Christopher Nolan's last four movies have been nominated (with two wins). The Academy loves Nolan, society loves the whole "he hates CG"-mentality that he's been saddled with, and although I haven't seen it yet, the movie does seem to do the classic Nolan thing of brilliantly blending practical and digital work together. All of those things together make it a shoe-in for a nomination, in my opinion.
#33596
Good point about AMPAS loving Nolan. It might squeak in after all. And if Ex Machina can win in 201, well…maybe all bets are off?

The CG work is substantial in Dunkirk but it is done seamlessly. DNeg's hard surface work with this and Beyond puts them right up alongside ILM's best.
#33600
ShaneP wrote:Good point about AMPAS loving Nolan. It might squeak in after all. And if Ex Machina can win in 201, well…maybe all bets are off?

The CG work is substantial in Dunkirk but it is done seamlessly. DNeg's hard surface work with this and Beyond puts them right up alongside ILM's best.


I mean, it's still possible that Dunkirk will miss the cut, don't get me wrong, but it's just got so many things going for it that I feel it's unlikely to not make it.

Man, Ex Machina... great movie, great VFX, but I still chuckle to myself when I think of its win. :lol: "Is this the Academy's way of saying "Sorry, A.I Artificial Intelligence, here's a post-humous win for you"?"

The FX work is probably the only reason I want to see Dunkirk, to be honest.
#33602
ninja turtle wrote:To be honest the cg make-up in A.I. is more effective than anything in Ex Machina. Btw, Merry Christmas to all.


Merry Christmas to you as well. And Happy Festivus to the other true believers.

To all the non-believers, Happy ___________ to you too!
#33670
The official nominees are:

Blade Runner 2049
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Kong: Skull Island
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
War for the Planet of the Apes

I was 4/5, given that I had Dunkirk in there instead of GOTG2.

Not really sure what GOTG2 had to offer that was fresh or innovative, and the "blue blob of death" they had was pretty cringey, but whatever.

With those five, my guess for winner is either Apes or Blade Runner, given the "return to old school" that the latter was promoted with.