Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

This movie looks fantastic to me. I think its going to be a mega hit for Spielberg before he moves onto Indy 5 next (I hope!!).

Those brief glimpses of the DeLorean looked incredible the way the camera quickly pulled away from inside the car drivers VR helmet to do a 360 degree tour was so brief but watch it in slow motion (download the trailer here then step by step its stunning & complex work!). http://trailers.apple.com/movies/wb/rea ... h1080p.mov
PaulILMFan wrote:This movie looks fantastic to me. I think its going to be a mega hit for Spielberg before he moves onto Indy 5 next (I hope!!).

Those brief glimpses of the DeLorean looked incredible the way the camera quickly pulled away from inside the car drivers VR helmet to do a 360 degree tour was so brief but watch it in slow motion (download the trailer here then step by step its stunning & complex work!). http://trailers.apple.com/movies/wb/rea ... h1080p.mov

:eek:

I missed that the first time out!

This has the potential to be a massive childhood trip for fans. I am hoping Spielberg is bringing his peak powers to it. I thought Bridge of Spies was excellent but the BFG was not aside from some great WETA visuals.
ShaneP wrote:
PaulILMFan wrote:This movie looks fantastic to me. I think its going to be a mega hit for Spielberg before he moves onto Indy 5 next (I hope!!).

This has the potential to be a massive childhood trip for fans. I am hoping Spielberg is bringing his peak powers to it. I thought Bridge of Spies was excellent but the BFG was not aside from some great WETA visuals.
Yeah its easy to miss so much detail packed into a few frame also look for the DeLorean in the background of those VR race shots & the opening VR headset trailer shot is the DeLorean coming out of time travel or going into it doing that fancy reverse & turn around the fountain (probably either the start or end of the VR race sequence from the Atari Pole Position game). I love the look of the Stacks in the trailer (filmed live action in Birmingham, England!). Also the actor who plays Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) looks like a 1:1 young Steven Spielberg clone :wink: Look closely at his face in the trailer he could almost be Spielberg in his Universal TV days from the early 1970's :eek: Alan Silvestri is doing the score as John Williams does not have enough time as he is currently scoring SW Episode 8 & The Papers (Spielberg's serious movie about journalism).

So having the DeLorean & Silvestri completes the BTTF connection you just know he is going to re-use or rescore some of his superb BTTF Trilogy score :D Author Ernie Cline is also a massive BTTF fan and owns a DeLorean )which he says he drove to Amblin when he met Spielberg :) ).

Finally, I would not be surprise if Spielberg being Spielberg he manages to slip in a few famous ships from Star Wars & Star Trek either :wink:
PaulILMFan wrote:
ShaneP wrote:

Yeah its easy to miss so much detail packed into a few frame also look for the DeLorean in the background of those VR race shots & the opening VR headset trailer shot is the DeLorean coming out of time travel or going into it doing that fancy reverse & turn around the fountain (probably either the start or end of the VR race sequence from the Atari Pole Position game). I love the look of the Stacks in the trailer (filmed live action in Birmingham, England!). Also the actor who plays Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) looks like a 1:1 young Steven Spielberg clone :wink: Look closely at his face in the trailer he could almost be Spielberg in his Universal TV days from the early 1970's :eek: Alan Silvestri is doing the score as John Williams does not have enough time as he is currently scoring SW Episode 8 & The Papers (Spielberg's serious movie about journalism).

Finally, I would not be surprise if Spielberg being Spielberg he manages to slip in a few famous ships from Star Wars & Star Trek either :wink:

Night Gallery Spielberg!

I would love to see Trek and Star Wars thrown in just to complete the whole 80s pop culture references.

My three main questions remain: which Spielberg will show up? Will it be the Spielberg at the height of his spectacle prowess or the aged legend who seems uninspired by fun adventure movies?

The final question is Janusz Kaminski. I really hope he delivers a good looking film. I haven't been a fan of most of his adventure films for Spielberg from day one. His look works for Saving Private Ryan and Bridge of Spies. It is less successful for these big vfx spectacles.
ShaneP wrote:
PaulILMFan wrote:
ShaneP wrote:

Night Gallery Spielberg!

I would love to see Trek and Star Wars thrown in just to complete the whole 80s pop culture references.

My three main questions remain: which Spielberg will show up? Will it be the Spielberg at the height of his spectacle prowess or the aged legend who seems uninspired by fun adventure movies? I think part of each similar to Indy 4 old & new styles probably more AI than popcorn style though (I loved AI so that's ok with me).

The final question is Janusz Kaminski. I really hope he delivers a good looking film. I haven't been a fan of most of his adventure films for Spielberg from day one. His look works for Saving Private Ryan and Bridge of Spies. It is less successful for these big vfx spectacles.
Well on this movie do not think it matters as much. What I have seen so far of the live action is an AI\Minority Report combo style which again I am cool with. The big make or break on this movie is going to be how to balance the Oasis VR sequences with a worthy 2044 dystopian story you can stay with. Many of Spielberg's recent movies run out of steam mainly due to the way they are structured if Spielberg can balance that out this could be a massive hit. If he can pull a The Matrix style balance & mix then this is going to be special 8)
http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news ... rg-latest/
http://i.imgur.com/MjMD6Yo.jpg
Well on this movie do not think it matters as much. What I have seen so far of the live action is an AI\Minority Report combo style which again I am cool with. The big make or break on this movie is going to be how to balance the Oasis VR sequences with a worthy 2044 dystopian story you can stay with. Many of Spielberg's recent movies run out of steam mainly due to the way they are structured if Spielberg can balance that out this could be a massive hit. If he can pull a The Matrix style balance & mix then this is going to be special 8)
http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news ... rg-latest/
http://i.imgur.com/MjMD6Yo.jpg[/quote]

If the story is good enough the cinematography will likely work for me. I loved elements of A.I. so that would certainly work. And so much of this looks to be vfx heavy so ILM will likely be responsible for the look of it as well.
vfx fan wrote:Well, Alan Silvestri is my favorite movie composer, but it just seems so wrong that John Williams isn't scoring a major Spielberg movie.
Could not fit it in between SW EP8 & The Papers. Let's face it John Williams is most likely not the sort of person you could easily see being into VR & Future technology nowadays either!

I think Alan Silvestri is a great choice I can envisage the score being a mixture of BTTF & Contact 8)
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/john- ... 202490105/

Williams also has to save himself for Indiana Jones 5 as he will be scoring that sometime 2019 :D
ShaneP wrote:You really do want Indy 5 don't you Paul? :lol:

As long as it doesn't have manic monkeys in trees and pixelated prairie dogs, I'm good.
Hell Yeah its one of the few movies I would pay to go see at the cinema nowadays (along with ST4, Blade Runner 2049 & Ready Player One :wink: ). Seeing Harrison one last time in a Spielberg Indy movie has to be a special cinematic event :) Back on topic Shane what did you think of the Freddy Krueger in the trailer I thought it looked pretty accurate!
PaulILMFan wrote:
ShaneP wrote:You really do want Indy 5 don't you Paul? :lol:

As long as it doesn't have manic monkeys in trees and pixelated prairie dogs, I'm good.
Hell Yeah its one of the few movies I would pay to go see at the cinema nowadays (along with ST4, Blade Runner 2049 & Ready Player One :wink: ). Seeing Harrison one last time in a Spielberg Indy movie has to be a special cinematic event :) Back on topic Shane what did you think of the Freddy Krueger in the trailer I thought it looked pretty accurate!

Ha! Cannon fodder Krueger.