Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

The article points to a problem today and that is HR. Purely anecdotal but I've personally witnessed HR more as a cover their butts for the company not a genuine go between for employee and employer. They know who signs the checks.

As for your slimming down of your "stuff". I never have room anymore for all of my different media. My book library alone has been buried beneath stacks. I still have some VHS too of old skate video from my teens I never replaced on DVD. They might turn to dust if I ever played them now. I should really upgrade if they're available.

I wouldn't be interested in any autographed stuff but anything on that basis but Trek or similar might get me interested. Keep us posted Kmart when you decide to post them on the auction sites.
By Kmart
She wrote some of the more sci-fi oriented eps of 6MIL, including what Harve Bennett called the best ep in the series -- ironically, it starred William Shatner as an astronaut who gets a weird electrical jolt in space that turns his brain into a supercomputer and lets him solve advanced math problems and talk telepathically to dolphins.

The thing that gets me is that we lose two of the best trek writers in the same year (Peter Allan Fields, who wrote or contributed to nearly all of what I consider to be classic DS9 shows, died in June.) Last year two of my alltime fave writers, William Goldman and Harlan Ellison, died. My other fave writters, John Ford and Trevanian, are dead for awhile now. And people wonder why I tend to just reread stuff I know is good rather than try new stuff (which is true for watching movies too.)
By Kmart
Fingers crossed, VFX VOICE asked me to look into covering the PICARD series. If you recall, I had zero success chasing DISCOVERY a couple years ago, so here's hoping history does not repeat itself.
By ShaneP
She wrote some of the more sci-fi oriented eps of 6MIL, including what Harve Bennett called the best ep in the series -- ironically, it starred William Shatner as an astronaut who gets a weird electrical jolt in space that turns his brain into a supercomputer and lets him solve advanced math problems and talk telepathically to dolphins.

The thing that gets me is that we lose two of the best trek writers in the same year (Peter Allan Fields, who wrote or contributed to nearly all of what I consider to be classic DS9 shows, died in June.) Last year two of my alltime fave writers, William Goldman and Harlan Ellison, died. My other fave writters, John Ford and Trevanian, are dead for awhile now. And people wonder why I tend to just reread stuff I know is good rather than try new stuff (which is true for watching movies too.)
Although I watch new movies all the time, I rewatch old favorites more often.
By PaulILMFan
RIP DC :e_sad:

DC was one of the big reasons TOS endured to this day as she really got the format & could tell some interesting stories. DC deserves as much credit as Gene Coon & Gene Rodenberry for TOS :thumbup:
By ShaneP
https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/12/ ... tarantino/

Sounds like Tarantino is backing away from doing a Star Trek film. It's on the second page about halfway down where he talks about "steering away" from a Trek film.

Here's the quote:

I think I’m steering away from Star Trek, but I haven’t had an official conversation with those guys yet.

It sounds like an original story might be his tenth, and final, film.
By Kmart
Well, he tried to do Bond and was rudely refused, and now Trek seems to wilting for other reasons. Those are my only two significant franchise likes, so I guess I may have to be content with rewatching KB1, PULP and INGLORIOUS. Probably seen them all ten times already, but no diminished enjoyment as of yet on that trifecta.
I'm okay living in a world where there's no Star Trek movie whose sole intent it is to remind the audience that the filmmaker grew up working in a movie rental store and wants to let you know that he likes movies more than you do. :P

In all seriousness, I would be interested in seeing how he would tackle it. He's a filmmaker with such a strong, unique vision (for better or for worse), that I can see a lot of studios being turned off by hiring such a strong-willed director. They wouldn't want a "Tarantino Star Trek movie", they'd want a Star Trek movie that happens to be made by Tarantino. It's the whole "Edgar Wright Ant-Man"-thing again.
By ShaneP
I never trusted for a second that Tarantino would have directed a Trek Movie. To me, it was all bullshit since the beginning. He will never make Kill Bill 3 too, mark my words! :D
Well he has said he has one more film to make and then he's retiring so I agree it is highly unlikely it will be a sequel(threequel?) to Kill Bill.
By ShaneP
Oh dear lord. So, rumor is that showrunner Michael Chabon has exited Picard. He was just named head show runner this summer after Kurtzman was sidelined. There were rumors last summer he was being sidelined just after S1 had wrapped.

Now it appears Chabon is out now for S2 as well.

It's been enlightening listening to Robert Meyer Burnett going off on his youtube channel today about Discovery and the Short Treks leading up to the premier of the show.