Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

I've never been a Top Gun fan but did hear they were trying some innovative stuff to improve the cockpit footage and that caught my interest. If they could just make this in IMAX and have Tom Cruise without dialogue flying F-18s through canyons for 60 minutes it might be great. That footage looks incredible and completely convincing(judging from the trailer).
I've never been a Top Gun fan but did hear they were trying some innovative stuff to improve the cockpit footage and that caught my interest. If they could just make this in IMAX and have Tom Cruise without dialogue flying F-18s through canyons for 60 minutes it might be great. That footage looks incredible and completely convincing(judging from the trailer).
That has to be real footage with the cameras hidden or speeded up no way its all VFX if it is then the detail is staggering next level work :thumbup:

I suspect either cockpit VFX replacement or some kind of fancy camera rig with a special zoom lense.
That has to be real footage with the cameras hidden or speeded up no way its all VFX if it is then the detail is staggering next level work :thumbup:

I suspect either cockpit VFX replacement or some kind of fancy camera rig with a special zoom lense.
Cruise made a surprise showing at San Diego to premier the trailer and said they had developed camera that could be mounted and capture as much of the flying for real.So your hunch was accurate about the camera rigs.
I'm wondering though if maybe the vfx is, like you suggested, cockpit enhancement to make it look like Cruise is the main pilot when maybe he was merely the co-pilot? I do know he was a co-pilot in the original for some of the footage and maybe they took it a step further with the sequel and used the vfx advancements since and will rework the cockpits to move Cruise into the pilot position and paint out the real one.
Roughly five years ago Prime Focus bought DNEG. Yesterday it appeared PF ankled DNEG and, per final approval of shareholders, will sell off DNEG.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 65731.html

But check this part out:

"...approved the sale of its business division, VFX business, as a going concern, on a slump sale basis, to DNEG Creative Services Limited, a subsidiary of the company," the media services provider said in its BSE filing."

So PF sold DNEG back to DNEG? :?:
Roughly five years ago Prime Focus bought DNEG. Yesterday it appeared PF ankled DNEG and, per final approval of shareholders, will sell off DNEG.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 65731.html

But check this part out:

"...approved the sale of its business division, VFX business, as a going concern, on a slump sale basis, to DNEG Creative Services Limited, a subsidiary of the company," the media services provider said in its BSE filing."

So PF sold DNEG back to DNEG? :?:
Guessing that it's kinda like what happened with the ILM model shop after the move to the Presido - "sold" to people that worked for the company so that they can spin it off from the mothership.

Or, I'm just pulling info out of my behind...
The Irishman is being distributed by Netflix and will have a very limited theatrical release. There is a lot of positive works of mouth about this film but people will have to wait until the first of November to see it unless they are in one of the limited and larger markets.

I think Netflix has been great allowing subscribers to access a library of titles. I've been a member for well over a decade now and love the ease of it. No more trips to the video store in time to avoid late fees or in order to get my hands on a new release before they are all rented out.

But, it is at a point now that there are a number of competing streaming services, Hulu, Netflix, soon to be Disney +. Now you have to be a member of multiple services to watch a wide array of titles.

It is also cutting into the theatrical experience as many services like Netflix are just releasing their original titles to a limited number of markets so they qualify for awards. But, who is really getting to see these movies aside from a small number of people? This has coincided by tv networks like HBO, Showtime, etc increasing their budgets for shows and casting film casts and crews. The result are tv shows with theatrical-like production values and scope. But we're still watching it all on a tv.

So while The Irishman appears to be getting Scorsese some of his best reviews in years, the show itself may elude most viewers due to the limitations of the streaming service industry right now. That's too bad.
Hearing there will be a ST4 is no surprise (though I'm going to have to find some new writing outlets -- I've already written about the first 3 seasons for three different outlets.)

But that TP news is really a stunner. I read Lynch was going to be doing some new project with Laura Dern, but I don't think that is for Showtime. We got done rewatching season 3 a couple months back -- I think that's the sixth time through! -- and had just about convinced ourselves that FWWM along with the original series plus the Showtime really did add up to a pretty complete experience. Also, the number of people on the show who have died since they finished shooting s3 seems to be significant too, so the cast attrition is going to make itself felt. Overall, my excitement level about more TP is higher than if we were getting a Craig-free Bond film, so I'm over the moon!