Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

The Spy Who Loved Me was a great film though. I really liked that Moore Bond I will say.
I loved that movie so much as child and saw it several times back in 1977. Had such an impact on me I even eventually as an adult bought the Lotus Esprit car from it :thumbup:

Slightly cooler than that though was in the mid 1990s I got a VIP behind the scenes tour @ Pinewood saw from about 1ft away the legendary water tank (they would not let us enter for insurance reasons but allowed us to walk right up to it) they used for many of the Bonds including the Spy Who Loved me sub scenes before it got filled in & also got to chat for a few minutes to a couple of VFX technicians who had been @ Pinewood for over 40 years mainly doing matte paintings, bond title sequences & a few other bits of uncredited work. These old guys (they never gave us their names due to NDA!) even showed us their showreel on film via a little 16mm projector they had in their Pinewood workshop it had a few glimpses of unused Bond title sequences with the famous gun barrel :thumbup: and they showed us how they would do an incamera optical composite of their matte painting with the actual film via mirrors & lenses then film the composited image :D
The Spy Who Loved Me was a great film though. I really liked that Moore Bond I will say.
I loved that movie so much as child and saw it several times back in 1977. Had such an impact on me I even eventually as an adult bought the Lotus Esprit car from it :thumbup:

Slightly cooler than that though was in the mid 1990s I got a VIP behind the scenes tour @ Pinewood saw from about 1ft away the legendary water tank (they would not let us enter for insurance reasons but allowed us to walk right up to it) they used for many of the Bonds including the Spy Who Loved me sub scenes before it got filled in & also got to chat for a few minutes to a couple of VFX technicians who had been @ Pinewood for over 40 years mainly doing matte paintings, bond title sequences & a few other bits of uncredited work. These old guys (they never gave us their names due to NDA!) even showed us their showreel on film via a little 16mm projector they had in their Pinewood workshop it had a few glimpses of unused Bond title sequences with the famous gun barrel :thumbup: and they showed us how they would do an incamera optical composite of their matte painting with the actual film via mirrors & lenses then film the composited image :D
Wow. That must have been a heck of an experience!
Thanks Tyler, but i was joking:))
Well, now I'm going to have to break the news to my friend... he's alone in the world. Again.
Don't get me wrong , Lazenby is good in that movie, but the one and only Bond? :)
Well, of course he doesn't truly think Lazenby's the "one and only Bond". You can't make a dogmatic statement like that which is quantifiably incorrect, but yeah, Lazenby's my friend's #1 choice. :) It's Lazenby >>>>> Everyone Else

Wow. That must have been a heck of an experience!
Sure was :wink: also got to see many other cool things like key original physical makeup FX creatures from some 1980s horror classics (the wonderful person who gave me the tour owned their own VFX company based @ Pinewood! so they could do whatever they wanted tour wise back in that era).

What was slightly sad to see were iconic set pieces tossed away with the garbage from Superman The Movie (statue of liberty giant headpiece just lying there rotting!) and a few key pieces from Batman the Movie 1989 like the giant church bell model :eek: No-one was interested in rescuing them they were just rotting away with the wind, rain & snow removing all the layers of paint & craftwork. Nowadays someone would sell those for big money but back in that era few people were interested in preservation :cry:
Sure was :wink: also got to see many other cool things like key original physical makeup FX creatures from some 1980s horror classics (the wonderful person who gave me the tour owned their own VFX company based @ Pinewood! so they could do whatever they wanted tour wise back in that era).
Was that the Effects Associates guys? I talked a bit via email with one of the supes there in the early 00s about their work on the Potter films(Hogwart's Castle, etc). They were out of Pinewood.
Was that the Effects Associates guys? I talked a bit via email with one of the supes there in the early 00s about their work on the Potter films(Hogwart's Castle, etc). They were out of Pinewood.
Sorry nope do not think so did not get their names they were very old even back in the 1990s been there about 40 years. Very nice people took the time to show us exactly what they did via mirrors & compositing to achieve in camera matte & travelling matte magic composites!