Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

I'm doing another story about FIRST MAN for STUDIO DAILY, this one focusing on the model work. Only just found out (AFTER the ICG article already got published) that Ian Hunter was the model supervisor on this show! That's direct from model DP Tim Angulo, who you guys probably remember from The Chandler Group days and a lot of New Deal work in years since then.

Am hoping to talk with Hunter about it (the production designer had told me that the art department 3d printed all the models, but now I know Hunter oversaw the model work, which isn't surprising considering how good it looks in the trailer and various scenes I've glimpsed online.) Still don't understand how I could talk to DP, prod des and vfx super for FIRST MAN and not have Hunter's name come up once (he only became listed on imdb's credits in the last few weeks, I think.)
Watched THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE miniseries on Netflix, and as dumb as Jan de Bont's 1999 interpretation of Shirley Jackson's novel was, at least stuff happened in it. This miniseries was boring and unnecessarily drawn out. It was more of a soap opera with a guest appearance by ghosts, but at least it had more chilling moments than AMERICAN HORROR STORY. Perhaps if it was a two-hour movie about a family in a haunted house, they might've had something.
Enjoyed the hell out of THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES, though it should've gotten a bigger fx budget and a theatrical release. (The elves looked like they were from a cheap animated movie when they should've looked more like Gremlins.)

I thought a few things about the movie dragged down the film's ambition, namely a subplot where Santa goes to jail, which was often a lot of fun but seemed to chew up too much of the run time. I loved how Santa's technology worked in this movie and would've rather explored that more...but Netflix budget, I guess.

It goes without saying that with Chris Columbus as one of the producers and its Chicago setting, the film will remind you of ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING, including a blues performance scene and children being kidnapped and taken to a chop shop hideout. I didn't mind...

Kurt Russell was also a great Santa and definitely carried this movie. I hope they make more of these.
Andy Davis and John Hughes shot in Chicago a lot too, didn't they? Shows how little I know about geography, I think of Chicago and NY as interchangeable (Nolan might too, shooting Chicago for Gotham), except NY has nifty deco aspects to some skyscrapers.

Never been a Columbus fan (except BABYSITTER) think that he started the POTTER films off in the worst most literal-minded way possible, and especially dislike the flying 'smack my snitch up' scenes.

I always start with #3 when I rewatch the POTTERS.
Not a movie but I'm interested in the upcoming Bob Zemeckis-produced tv series on the History Channel, Project Blue Book, about the USAF UFO CYA, I mean investigation, program.

I love this topic and Zemeckis hopefully will bring the production value it deserves.

Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58CZKPavOtE

...and a clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uf6RT4Tzu4

On regular cable too so most people will have a chance to see it. Premieres January 8.
Kmart, yeah Chicago was a stomping ground for Davis and Hughes, and they were also from the area, and I believe Nolan partially grew up there.

Speaking of Nolan, that was the big problem I had with THE DARK KNIGHT; Gotham City was obviously Chicago, at least with BATMAN BEGINS they extended it to look like it's it's own city. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES was largely shot in Pittsburgh.