Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By ShaneP
Avengers: Endgame

The Irishman

Star Wars: The Rose of Skywalker

The Lion King

I think TLK will win but I would also keep a look out at 1917 for the upset.
Last edited by ShaneP on Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By aslan
Of course 1917 is going to win, and be the most undeserved win since golden compass. It just won the Bafta.

Even when ILM get all the needed requirements, ground-breaking artistry and technology, fx that service the story, critical acclaim, and a great director whom the academy love, fuck you ILM, you worked for the wrong film studio!

I know the world is shit right now, but does every single little thing have to be shit too?
By ninja turtle
Absolutely undeserving win. Really forgettable and unremarkable vfx work in "1917". The movie itself is a 2 hours long gimmick that turns a bloody war into a videogame. There is still hope for an ILM oscar , but it's very hard.
By Kmart
Of course 1917 is going to win, and be the most undeserved win since golden compass. It just won the Bafta.

Even when ILM get all the needed requirements, ground-breaking artistry and technology, fx that service the story, critical acclaim, and a great director whom the academy love, fuck you ILM, you worked for the wrong film studio!

I know the world is shit right now, but does every single little thing have to be shit too?
I can't turn anywhere without seeing the shit pile up faster & heavier than ever right now, on micro and macro levels. I've felt cynical about the world since age 10 in Little League, when I found out it isn't how you play the game, it's whether the other team's first baseman's dad is the league president and he starts umpiring his own son's games when they fall to 2nd place and your own team is in first place, and you start getting called out on strikes with pitches that bounce across home plate, and your coach gets kicked out of the league during a game by this same guy for no damn reason other than competence and honesty intimidated him. That was pre-Watergate, by the way. But under all that cynicism I still have held out a sliver of hope, and honestly, that died this last week. I have no faith or trust in anything or anyone outside of my wife at this point. The few celebrities I admired and trusted have died (a surprising number in the last two years, presumably of broken hearts and spirits after putting themselves on the line for various human rights.)

It's getting so recalling something mildly funny happening at work -- boss demonstrating how tough tupperware is by stomping on it, and her being surprised to see it explode into shards under her shoe -- is enough to set me off laughing hysterically when I think about it ... that's desperation setting in.
By vfx fan
1917 deserved every award that it was nominated for except for its fx. Not because they were bad, but because there were more qualified titles nominated. I still loved 1917, and it was one of the best war movies of all time. What I especially enjoyed was how it was structured and shot like a horror movie rather than a drama. The cinematography was nothing short of amazing, but as far as fx, ENDGAME and THE IRISHMAN (and AD ASTRA and ALITA) were more qualified.

But at least THE LION KING didn't win. That movie was straight-up offensive to the human imagination, and the fx were really not much better than THE JUNGLE BOOK.
By ShaneP
Avengers: Endgame

The Irishman

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

The Lion King

I think TLK will win but I would also keep a look out at 1917 for the upset.
I knew when it was nominated that it had a big shot at winning over the general Academy voter. The Lion King simply disappeared.
By ShaneP
3rd time in the last 5 years that ILM was robbed at the Oscars. The Academy criteria are quite simple:find a way to not give the prize to ILM .
I assume the other two years are 2015 when The Force Awakens lost and 2018 when Avengers: Infinity War lost to First Man.

I actually haven't agreed with many of the wins for several years, including 2017 when Weta lost for War of the Planet of the Apes to Blade Runner 2049. And sorry but First Man was not Best Vfx over Avengers: Infinity War. Thanos alone was a huge achievement.

Over the last five years, here is who I would have picked:

2015:
The Force Awakens
2016:
The Jungle Book
2017:
War of the Planet of the Apes
2018:
Avengers: Infinity War

Can't say this year yet as I haven't watched all the nominees.
By ninja turtle
yes, Shane. I prefer a little bit more Ready Player one to Avengers: Infinity War, but IW was obviously the frontrunner in 2018 and deserved to win over The First Man. And i don't know what the hell happned in 2015 with Deus ex Machina winning, when you had The Revenant ( also a best film frontrunner) and Star Wars, both with terrific Vfx work. And don't let me start with this year...