Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about Kong and Godzilla teaming up eventually in the vs film. The thing is, this next movie has Godzilla's main nemesis, Ghidorah, in it so who would they have face off against them that wont seem anticlimactic, new kaiju?
Guessing kong needs to be a lot bigger if he is to be 'v' Godzilla, but also guessing eventually they club together again kaiju as they are both antiheroes and have a similar role!
A lot of people have that concern, which I think is why they made sure to have that awkwardly-inserted line by John C. Reilly's character during his exposition-dump in Skull Island. "...something something...and he's still growing...something something...". Just a throwaway line that addresses the size discrepancy.
Guessing kong needs to be a lot bigger if he is to be 'v' Godzilla, but also guessing eventually they club together again kaiju as they are both antiheroes and have a similar role!
A lot of people have that concern, which I think is why they made sure to have that awkwardly-inserted line by John C. Reilly's character during his exposition-dump in Skull Island. "...something something...and he's still growing...something something...". Just a throwaway line that addresses the size discrepancy.
I dont remember that at all but I guess that would explain his increase in size if they do have giganto-Kong.
I dont remember that at all but I guess that would explain his increase in size if they do have giganto-Kong.
It's a pretty easy line to miss. It's sandwiched between a bunch of exposition, so it's definitely "blink-and-you'll-miss-it".

This is just a random guess, but even if they're beefing up Kong, I think they're going to go for a still-deliberate size difference. Definitely not eye-to-eye, but more of an underdog scale. Rocky vs. Ivan Drago, Iron Man vs. Thanos kind of thing. Like George vs. Lizzie in Rampage. Some potentially cool fight choreography for Godzilla to try and grapple with something that's 2/3 of his size and faster.
Lynch's Dune.....what a fascinatingly strange film. There are parts I really like(the spice worms) and parts I don't, but that is every Lynch movie for me.

Richard Edlund told CFQ years ago that ILM bid on the show and were originally going to work on it but then it was delayed. We covered some of the really terrific miniature work in the film here years ago. The thread is still around somewhere.
Yeah we posted some links to Emilio Ruiz del Rio's work on Dune, Conan, and other films. There used to be a website that had an entire batch of photos featuring his work. Great stuff!

I still love the entire concept of hanging and foreground miniatures when done very well.

edit: Found the thread!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=542

:lol: It's a much shorter discussion than I remember. But the links to the Atreides ship foreground miniatures are no longer available. The pictures are still out there but I dont know if that page dedicated to Emilio still is.
Almost two years of post production, and the editor hasn't seen a single scene with completed vfx? I suspect ILM is in troubles with the de-aging effects.
The film has only been in post for just under a year, not two.

edit:

In other ILM news:

First look at Will Smith's Genie from Aladdin
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls053181649/v ... f_=vp_pl_0

Hmm....
The Irishman is clearly a project ILM were trusted to deliver before the technology was almost ready but its proving harder than expected. I did not think their de-aging work for Carrie Fisher or Peter Cushing really worked at all it was way too unnatural looking. Close but not close enough did not stand up to scrutiny.

The Irishman has world famous actors so as its half the movie they will most likely have to go the soft filter route if ILM cannot please Scorsese enough with current technology.

Either that or keep hoping Netflix will foot the ILM R&D bills! (they probably have no choice now in too far for too much money to get out without it being finished).

As no finished footage exists yet no way will it release anytime in 2019!!
Almost two years of post production, and the editor hasn't seen a single scene with completed vfx? I suspect ILM is in troubles with the de-aging effects.
The film has only been in post for just under a year, not two.

edit:

In other ILM news:

First look at Will Smith's Genie from Aladdin
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls053181649/v ... f_=vp_pl_0

Hmm....
You are right, it's less than a year, but it's seemed forever to me since it's in post-production. i don't know why.
Btw, one year with very little scenes completed for the editing is still worrying. But then again, i don't know wich tech they are using: building in 3d the younger version of the actors a la Arnold in the last Terminator movie, or Tarkin in Rogue One, or the more common de-aging technology used in the last Marvel Movies? I only hope the final result won't be like Will Smith in Aladdin:))