Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

Rabbits in Australia
Tribbles on space station k7

porgsy & bess ?
:lol:

edit:

Important to add that Leap's "augmented reality" technology is supposedly distinct from other forms of VR in that it overlays real backgrounds we see out of a headset. It will be interesting to see how ML and ILM incorporate the Porgs into the "real" world.
Got an assignment to do a piece on the state of 'hyper-reality' for ICG, so have contacted ILM about xLAB work. Do you think Porgs are the best way in?
That or Carne y Arena for Innaritu. That film won an special achievement Oscar. A first for a VR short. I think they also have some VR stuff planned for the Disney parks Galaxy's Edge SW themed land.

The cool thing about VR and AR is they are both a bit different. As Augmented Reality suggests, it is inserting virtual images into our space that looks nearly indistinguishable from whatever real we are seeing around it. It also has the potential to provide for numerous applications for entertainment and commerce. AR is what Magic Leap has focused on.

Here is a short demo for AR app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwRdUTvQ39o

You can see online retailers going crazy for this stuff by allowing people to "try out" different styles without having to stock them.

VR is more full immersion in a virtual space. ILMxLab has worked with ML and filmmakers in both VR and AR.
I finally got to talk with a couple guys there about SECRETS OF THE EMPIRE and WRECK IT RALPH. Latter needed its own unique character animation pipeline, since ILM didn't have anything for squishy cartoon-acting characters (RANGO being more photorealistic.) Am actually kind of intrigued by some of what I heard, but don't think they have any of these The VOID theaters up here, so don't imagine I'll be experiencing virtuality (sounds like a Florence Hendson commercial!) anytime soon.
Interesting about their Wreck it Ralph VR. yeah, the closest Void theater to me might be at their HQ in northern Utah. They're tried to make it more repeatable for customers too by making Secrets of the Empire's characters you become when inside the experience as individualized so you can come back. It's almost like a game experience where you build your characters and strength for their next challenge.

Let us know when your work comes out with them on these. I would be interested in reading what they have to say about them.