Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By vfx fan
AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR
BLACK PANTHER
READY PLAYER ONE

The other two:
FANTASTIC BEASTS 2
FIRST MAN

Once again, AQUAMAN got robbed, presumably by BLACK PANTHER...
By ShaneP
From bafta.org:

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Kelly Port, Dan Sudick

BLACK PANTHER Geoffrey Baumann, Jesse James Chisholm, Craig Hammack, Dan Sudick

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD Tim Burke, Andy Kind, Christian Manz, David Watkins

FIRST MAN Ian Hunter, Paul Lambert, Tristan Myles, J.D. Schwalm

READY PLAYER ONE Matthew E. Butler, Grady Cofer, Roger Guyett, David Shirk

Here is a link to all the nominees:
http://www.bafta.org/film/awards/ee-bri ... nners-2019

To me, it is amazing that Christopher Robin was slighted, which had some of Framestore's best work EVER. That was top tier character animation, lighting, fur, composting, everything. Just exceptional and demonstrates how important the presentations for each film is and how strong all the work is this year.

I actually found the Black Panther more bland than any complaints I may have had about unexceptional digidoubles and the virtual camera work surrounding them. It just didn't work for me as a film. I like Wakanda in Infinity War better and felt Black Panther's appearance in Civil War was stronger than anything in Black Panther itself.
By ShaneP
I still have a feeling First Man will win. DNEG has seen this situation before with Ex Machina at the Oscars and they pulled it off. Yes, I know this is Bafta so the voting is different but I would still bet it wins. Plus, Marvel seems to have a propensity to get nominations but no outright wins. If I'm not mistaken they haven't won either and Oscar or a Bafta for vfx.
By TylerMirage
I agree with Shane. No Christopher Robin? The BAFTA's seem to have more "artistic integrity", for the lack of a better term, than the Oscars, so Christopher Robin being snubbed for something like Black Panther is :roll: I guess I just missed the last ten years of VFX films that did everything Black Panther did but better...

(Is it obvious that I'm bitter?)

I'm thinking First Man for the BAFTA's.
By aslan
Well, I might have been a little facetious, I certainly don't think it has the best fx overall. But I've no problem with it winning. I love the film and ILM's work on it was great.
By ShaneP
Congrats to Craig Hammack and the entire ILM team on the win!

ILM's Wakanda was great in BP. The actors were great. I just didn't care for the film. It falls into the inconsequential MCU films for me along with Dr. Strange(which had some great vfx), Captain America 1, and the Thor films.