Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By TylerMirage
The Stan Winston School of Character Arts Facebook page (*pauses to take breath*) posted a cool little featurette on the creatures of R1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2N0Mn4i4Dw

I appreciate them going practical when they can - believe me, I do - but I really wish they'd stop with the clickbaity headlines like "Director Gareth Edwards favoured practical effects over CGI". :roll: Guys, it's not an us vs. them war. Use practical for what practical is good for, use CG for what CG is good for. Use both if you can. It's as simple as that.

Not to mention that it makes them look real silly when the marketing releases statements like that, and then follows it up with a trailer chocked full of massive CG AT-ATs, spaceships, planets, and every shot being tinkered with in some regard with VFX enhancements.

ShaneP wrote:Here is one of these really great "looks like the very best practical model looking shots that is not a model shot" with the lighting from what I assume is a nearby star. It looks just like the very best model shot you could ever get.

Image]

That shot with the ships is so photoreal it hurts. Like, it actually pains me knowing that it's completely CG yet looking exactly like a real, tangible model. :eek:
Ian talks to Neal Scanlan about the practical fx of Rogue One:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/vfx/rogue-on ... 46590.html

Here's a interesting bit:

But Scanlan is keen to go even further with that idea of building a creature practically and then augmenting it digitally. “It’s one I hope to explore more and more, where the two techniques come together,” said the creature effects designer.

“Where you can practically bring a significant amount of a character to the screen, but you can push in further than maybe the audience is used to by having the help of the digital world. I don’t think that’s been fully explored yet. I think there’s a lot of things that can be done in the future that will make for some extraordinary characters.”

I can't wait to see Lucasfilm and Neal explore these hybrid characters. 8)
ILM is back in the Jerry Bruckheimer fold with Horse Soldiers. Based on the book by Doug Stanton, it tells the story of the CIA and SpecOps move into Afghanistan to overthrow the Taliban just weeks after 9/11.

Robert Weaver is ILM's vfx supervisor, fresh off co-supervising the companies work with Jeff White for Kong: Skull Island.

Horse Soldiers stars Chris Hemsworth and is set for release sometime this year.

Richard McBride is the vfx supervisor on Ava Duvernay's A Wrinkle In Time, set for release next year.
Linda DeQuattro is supervising Alexander Payne's Downsizing. 8) Great filmmaker and great supervisor so should be great!

Granite Mountain is Kosinki's next and is being supervised by Eric Barba from Vancouver. That is not news. But it is also official that ILM Vancouver will serve as the hub for the film, if not be the sole provider. ILM might be trying to set Van up as a semi-self sufficient house outside of the Presidio projects such as SW, Marvel, etc.

Barba and Kosinski have created some great work together so it will be very interesting to see what they do with the film.

That's great!

:cheers:
We might have posted this video of Jimmy Fallon's Race Through New York ride for Universal Studios here before but I just caught something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5NoMa0dYxg

Is that Eric Brevig directing? Check out the guy on the right at 0:08. That is Brevig 100% certain. Wouldn't be the first time he's worked on a attraction but interesting to see him directing one with vfx by ILM.
Yes Wiebe is a fairly recent hire along with Mark Curtis, a veteran of MPC Vancouver. He is co-suping the The Mummy work with Pablo.

If you look over the last few years, their vfx supervisory ranks have grown substantially. And they have grown with some really talented and experienced people. Yet, they still just have ONE woman vfx supervisor. Has ILM really become that conservative?
Ben Snow and Samir Hoon were both ILM supes.

As for the movie itself, it was kinda meh, honestly. It was pretty to look at, but nowhere as batshit Yimou Zhang's other films. If I have time, I'll write a more thorough analysis, but don't hold your breath, because it's the kind of movie that I will forget about the next day.

I am, however, curious of how Chinese audiences reacted to the film.
By ShaneP
vfx fan wrote:Spotted ILM on the Mary Poppins Returns credits. Just an FYI...

Matt Johnson is the vfx supe.

What? Are they rebooting this?

Dame Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke or GTFO!