Announcements about the forums, like upgrades, features, etc.

Moderator: malducin

By malducin
Well technically speaking it opened yesterday morning though I still had a few minor adjustments. Won't bore you with details, can't believe it took over 4 years. I'm also provisionally opening the forums, probably won't get too rowdy.

Now comes the hard part, updating.
By malducin
Finished doing some stuff that should cut down spambot nuisance (I'll still have to take care of human spam nerf herders). Leaves more time for updates. I did massive deletes of users the last few days so if someone legitimately registered but got deleted , sorry! Drop me a line or register again.

I have one week to go on a project, so I won't update much. First priority will be to try out some new features of the credits section.
By malducin
OK seems the credits and awards sections are working ok. Also added featured stories slider in the main page for the time being. Since I don't know when I'll start updating the regular news, thus will do for the time being, I might take it off when things get back to normal.
By malducin
Haven't done an update in a while. Even though I had the Credits and Awards sections up and running I still ironed out a few kinks here and there that only became apparent when I started filling those. Also did some backend improvement because filling out the credits information was taking too long. After you have a couple hundred people listed it starts getting tedious and error prone, and I'm still barely in the early 80s!

Currently there are 4 projects listed.

I also decided starting to work on the Articles, just to activate that section but also work out any kinks. The was the articles were done before will probnably require a bit of cleanup.
By malducin
OK now that I worked the kinks in the Credits system, adding them will be a lot easier and less error prone. It might still take me half a day just to complete one and that's not counting writing them down in the first place on a Excel (from DVD screenshots) to verify them. The part that slows me the most is adding new people to the system since it breaks the workflow, but as more people are added, later adding the credits should be easier.

On another front I uploaded the 4 oldest articles: Draco, TyRuben Ellingson interview, Joshua Pines SIGGRAPH 98 interview, and the Beth Sasseen interview on recruiting. Cleanup wasn't too bad as long as there are not to many photos. I should try to finish the rest real quick. I decided not to include my SIGGRAPH album which were filler anyway (maybe they'll come back one day in another form).

Seriously considering finding some goodies for any volunteers to do new interviews ASAP. Will meditate this memorial weekend.
By malducin
Uploaded 4 other older articles: the ILM tour, SIGGRAPH 2003 special session report, the interview with Nigel Sumner and dr. CGI's report on eDIT/VES 2003.