Announcements about the forums, like upgrades, features, etc.

Moderator: malducin

By malducin
Well in case anyone is actually reading this (doubt it), I'm finally actually bringing the site back (now that I'm between projects). Some might have noticed that I actually revamped the Credits section. Amazing my old scripts still worked. Moved it to a newer framework so it'll have more features and be more flexible. I only did a partial data upload, just the projects themselves (no directors, clients or actual credits). And the list hasn't been updated in a long time (I had Harry Potter 6 still listed with a November 2008 release date). Anyway hopefully I'll update that this weekend. BTW, the new layout is just something simple I whipped up just to have something to display, didn't want to spend too much time on that.

Also just updated the board software to phpBB 3.0.5, but haven't updated the styles. I'll probably reopen the boards just before SIGGRAPH.

Biggest problem is the main site (and not just the backlog). I'll probably update that software one last time. It's just too much hassle. I'll probably change it to Joomla or something else (even if I have to custom do it myself) eventually. I need to spend less time with the maintenance and more with the content.
By malducin
Just deleted all users that registered in 2009. Seems that a lot of registration spam started April 2009. Something like 400+ users. I'll still have to go through the list, probably a couple hundred bogus registration, though there was at least one valid as recent as Aug. 2008.
By malducin
Actually I just finished it seems there was only one bogus registration left. So I guess all maintainance is done. I just have to go through the old boards to see what's pending and then open the forums (probably till the weekend). But first I have to decide first what to do with the main site: upgrade the current system, migrate to something else or program something myself.

One thing I just realized is that the old content might not be in utf-8 encoding, so I might have to do some conversion.
By malducin
Did some minor fixes (mainly CSS) on the credits section. And planning for SIGGRAPH has taken a lot of my time.

On the other hand I evaluated the option and have decided what the next step for the main site should be. I'm hoping it'll take me a week, but it's gonna be tight. Stay tuned.
By malducin
Didn't have time to update the main site. It's been insane preparing for SIGGRAPH (I'm sorta helping organize the CGTalk Meetup). Anyway I'll be back Aug 10, and I should have quite a bit of free time (be3fore a few projects start) to get the site up.