Announcements about the forums, like upgrades, features, etc.

Moderator: malducin

By malducin
Just for control and so people can have an idea of the progress a special thread for this.

OK, just updated the copyright notice in all sections (main, forums, articles and filmography) to 2007.
By malducin
OK finished going thorough all the OpenEXR mailing list emails (going as far back as April 2006) to get all relevant news.

Also finished going though all the Academy's Oscar site and Bafta press releases, plus found a few other interesting things on their site as well. So these two sites are done.

Currently the list contains 34 news items, most from Dec. 2006-Jan 2007.

As I've been compiling the list and thought about the process a few interesting issues have arisen:

* I'll probably need help for someone to check specific sites. Problem is how to go about it?

* Should I up the number of news visible on the main page? Say from 10 to 15 or even 20? On the plus side this would probably shorten the timeframe when all pending news are posted (and so I could reopen the forums sooner). On the other hand if the list is too long people might not check the bottom news, so they would have to stay longer before I could post the next batch.

* The really scary issue is that I need to update the software of the main site. I'm already two versions behind the latest stable release. And since they went from a 0.10 to a 1.x there were major changes in how things work. I did make a quick test on an update and it failed. It's not going to be a trivial update like before, and it'll even require probably minor changes to the theme. Complicating matters, I don't have a computer to do tests of upgrades (surprise surprise, my laptop burned out last week where I did that). I'll probably leave that until after I get the main site totally updated, unless a new version of the software is released (don't wnat to be 3 versions behind). It's a huge headache and at the moment I don't have any way to tackle it.
By malducin
Forgot to mention. Also finished reviewing the Features section of CGSociety.
By malducin
Upgraded the forums to phpBB 3.0.0 so one less thing to worry about. Still have to figure all the settings.

My life just go very uncomplicated, for the time being. Next step will be to upgrade the main site to the latest phpwebsite. This will be a bit more complicated since it's a 2 step progress. Hopefully this weekend it'll get done so I can start posting news again by next week.
By malducin
Woohooo, just did a test conversion of the main site to phpws 1.4.0. And it didn't require a 2 stage upograde (to 1.2 first), just install and convert. The only thing minor detail is if I need to do a users conversion. Right now I don't have it visible. It still needs a bit of configuring and of course to change the default look and feel. Biggest mystery is that news entries are in ascending order as opposed to descending. And of course a bit of cleanup is in order.

Speaking of which is going to be a beyocht to do it on the forums. The forums standard themes has a lot more files than the 2.x series including about a dozen CSS files. I guess I'll just change the header for the time being.

Hopefully I'll be able to enable the main site within a day or two.
By malducin
Well besides just changing the logo (crappy one but don't have time for something better right now) in the forums I'll leave the style in the forums like that for the the time being. Now on to work on the main site. Still haven't figured out how to make news posting to display on descending order.
By malducin
Ahhhh finally figured out the post order thing. Turns out it's a problem (bug) in the conversion progress. The module conversion only converts the creation date of the post, but zeroes the publication date. So of course the it displays the news by publication date and since they're all zeroes it apparently uses the key in ascending order.

I created a PHP script to update the update and publication date. There's still a few errors (when a few posts have the same publication date), but easily fixable. Now I can proceed to correct the category icons, (re)create a theme and put the new main site online. Good thing it's a long weekend here.
By malducin
Well all the dates are corrected (I think). But the big mess was that html tags in the posts were translated again. So something like <em> would be stored as &lt;em&gt; in the database, instead of the raw html. Argggghhh big mess, especially for backup and portability considerations (in case I ever need to change to a different cms, maybe I should consider Wordpress). So again a bit of coding work to translate those back. The big prober were all the <a href tags. I had to find a good regular expression for that (I'm no regexp guru) and then make it work on a php script. Well it didn't work but it was because I had a tiny quoting error :-P. Anyway I just finished cleaning all the news posts (and at the same time created a good backup of posts). I'm just visually confirming that everything looks good. At 1544 posts it'll take me a little bit but I think after that I can finally put the site online next week and start updating.

Also figured out the category icons. While the instructions mentioned just to copy them over, actually you have to reupload them, since it uses the filecabinet module for that as well as opposed of just placing a folder in the appropriate place. Anyway no biggie.

Also corrected the users, and just pending is correcting the menu. I've started working on the theme as well but it's not finished yet.

I need some coffee.
By malducin
OK just corrected the Categories (they show up fine now), eliminated the unnecessary blocks (like the original SW DVD one) and partially cleaned up the menu (still need to relink some of the pages, which need to be redone anyway).
By malducin
Updated the filmography: deleted Next and added Rush Hour 3, National Treasure 2, Lions for Lambs, Iron Man, Speed Racer, Indiana Jones 4, Star Trek XI and Harry Potter 6.

Yet to confirm: There Will Be Blood (opens here in 2 or 3 weeks), Touching Home, Pig Hunt, Golf in the Kingdom and The Happening.

Also corrected the footer in th articles and filmography pages.
By malducin
OK finished working on the forums, mainly put the new header with the search box and the ILMfan navigation bar. I don't intend to work on the theme for quite a while (more important things to do). Maybe some new avatars but we'll see.

I won't open the forums right now but probably within a week,or as soon as I get time to review all the old posts. Making some real progress, so I'm confident.

Added There Will Be Blood to the filmography (just confirmed). I also added all the pending posters in the filmography (basically every project since Nightmare Before Xmas 3D).
By malducin
Deleted the old forum files and database (had them just in case). I think that's pretty much done.

Just finished the basic theme for the main site and it's working fine. Even the random headers are working. It's still not ready since I have to do the styles for news postings, webpages and blocks (the default ones use DIV tags and nonexistent styles in my theme. Should be straightforward.
By malducin
Updated the main site: core files, search module and calendar. Pending: the calendar templates.
By malducin
Finished the calendar templates. Also finished reviewing all calendar postings (660), all html looks good though there might be a few typos left :-P.
By malducin
Phew, just finished cleaning up 1544 news posts. I started slow but really made progress last few days. I'll just check them on the browser and then we're good to go on the main site. Hopefully it'll take me a couple of days at the most.

On another note, another unconfirmed project, ILM might be working on Spike Lee's Miracle at St. Anna. If anyone finds out something let me know.

And dang, what a shocker last night. Anyway back to work...
By malducin
Woohooo just finished checking all 1544 news posts! All looks good (cleanup I mean, typos is another story ;-). My eyeballs are literally bleeding. Why was this needed? Not only for people wanting to check old news but I constantly need to check older news when posting new ones for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, this means I can bring back the main site tonight or tomorrow. Just need to do some backups, cleanup a few things (the pages mainly) and adjust the main site.

After that I'll start reviewing the forums so I can open them up again. I expect the forums to be open in a week at most, maybe sooner.
By malducin
OK the main site is finally up!!!

Unfortunately there is still some work to be done. I lost power today (go figure) and also it took me a while to figure out the new menu/pages system. Plus the pages need quite a bit of cleanup. It'll probably take me a day or 2 to bring the other pages, except for the people related ones, since those require heavy editing and research.
By malducin
Didn't do much today. Anyway eliminated the announcements page and a few empty pages.

I also reworked the ILMfan FAQ. Not only was it 4 and a half years old (missing stuff like the Presidio, Kerner Optical and Zeno), but it was badly redacted! I can't believe I wrote that thing, even less no one complained before!!! Anyway it's much better now. Not great I'll have to revise it later on. I also moved it to the root level of the main site menu. I'll just link it from the forums as well.
By malducin
Ughhhh I've seriously fallen behind schedule mainly my misadventures with the 1.5.1 upgrade. Anyway I've been working a bit on the site:

* Updated the credits and upcoming projetcs page to include The Happening (supe Ed Hirsh). Pretty entertaining.
* I posted athe Basic Sources of Info Bibliography page.
* Created a new page called Timeline to illustrate ILM's history. Right now I just have the first part of the history before ILM.

I also started cleaning my news list. Hopefully I'll start posting this weekend (right now I can only work on the site very late at night). Been busy lately trying to get ready for SIGGRAPH (schedule is a mess but there are some cool Indy 4 presentations by ILM).