Announcements about the forums, like upgrades, features, etc.

Moderator: malducin

By malducin
Dang RSS seems to be broken, probably from the last update. Thanks to Vampus for pointing it out.
By malducin
OK added one new Iron header to the main site and 3 Iron Man avatars for the forums. Thanks to Davy_Jones for the images and prodding. This reminds me I've got to fix all avatar images.
By malducin
Corrected 4 empty old news posts (125, 147, 149, 156).

I checked some phpws sites and the Search function for news posts seems definately broken. On the other hand the RSS feed work if I use short URLs. The system includes a mod-rewriting url tool that works in RSS and would help make more user friendly short URLs. Apparently it might work on internal pages too but seems I would have to reenter them. Hmm something to think about.

For those keeping score, ILM is indeed working on Terminator Salvation (aka Terminator 4). Charlie Gibson is the overall supe The trailer premiered today on Yahoo Movies. Official confirmation was about 6 weeks ago. For those that missed it ILM and Kerner Optical were involved in the live action sequences of WALL-E (marvelous film), with Dennis Muren and Marty Rosenberg in charge respectively. Also there are rumors that the Harry Potter 6 trailer will make its debut infront of the Mummy 3 film.

I'm going to be out this weekend though I hope to make some progress this next few days.
By malducin
Well in about 12 hours I should be heading towards SIGGRAPH. After that a week off in the Bay Area.

Everything on the site is in place. So I should start posting soon after I get back.
By malducin
Well I kinda got slammed after SIGGRAPH so I couldn't update. But for the past month or so I've been able to work on it again. The credits section is basically done except for 2 details: need to update the info (assign directors and clients, put up new projects, start filling in credits, etc.) and a minor technical thing about awards that won't really impact the system. The Credits section will be much better than the previous version, it includes an RSS feed, numerous ways to search for projects and people and it'll be the central place to search for awards (taking it out from the main site).

Also I moved ILMfan.com to a new hosting provider effective December 1st. It reduces my costs now that there isn't much traffic (and I'm bringing my other site to the same account). Nothing really bad with my last host (except one server wasn't upgraded to a more recent PHP until recently).

Currently I'm working on the main site. I already got news posting working. It was a bit difficult reconverting the old data, took me about one week of work, mainly to get some HTML backups nicely indented and reconvert HTML entities to UTF8. Since there are 1544 posts it was not trivial. I'm still working on getting the content pages, categories and maybe articles working in a week or so. Bad news is that I just got a new project that I need to finish by December 31st. But I won't be available Dec 19 - Jan 1st due to some previous commitments. So... I have to finish this project in 2 weeks and see if I can finish the basic functionality of the main site so I can activate it. Plus of course going to Se Avatar in Imax 3D ;-).

It'll be difficult to have everything functional before New Year's but I expect by January to have the Credits section more or less updated, maybe the basic main site and hopefully open the boards. Stay tuned...

Oh and if someone has a way to do screencaptures of DVDs, and have DVDs/BDs os movies ILM worked on, contact me if you want to help.
By malducin
Made some minor adjustments to the Credits site. Maybe some updates tomorrow.

The main site is coming along fine. News system is already working fine as well as content pages and articles (need to check one detail). Navigation is what is holding me back. Not sure if I should try to finish it before Dec. 18 or just used some fixed links in the time being.