Announcements about the forums, like upgrades, features, etc.

Moderator: malducin

By malducin
Almost 24 hours ago (around 3am Thursday February 23, 2006) I finally cleared the backlog of announcements for the main site. This happened because for about 6-7 weeks (from September to about October 19, 2005) I didn't post anything because I had computer problems, which actually only lasted about a week or two or so. Unfortunately by then the amount of news coupled with personal problems prevented me from posting.

Even worse, even though I requested help, I only received about 3 news submissions in those 7 weeks. So searching news for those 7 weeks to start posting became a huge endeavor. Coupled with the huge amount of news that came at the end of the year (a lot for Harry Potter and Narnia, but also surprisingly for Jarhead and lots of other non-movie news like the Presidio move and the like) multiplied the amount of the backlog to an unimaginable size (when I started posting again there were probably 60+ news items pending, and I consolidated a few when possible). This made the 7 week posting absence turn into a 5 month job trying to catch up to the current date!!!

I was initially encourgaed by the great response to posting news again. I expected to finish by Xmas 2005. If I had known it would be so much work that would take till late Feb. 2006, I would probably would have quit and closed ILMfan (which I seriously considered when the site payments were due late 2005). Even after I started posting again I probably have only received between 10-20 announcements in those 5 months (in which about 138 postings have been made). And of course this doesn't take into account software updates, my little accident or trying to more or less keep an eye on the boards.

Technically he backlog is not cleared, there are still 2 movie reviews pending which I'll take care soon, but I just wanted to get the announcements out of the way. The other unfortunate casualty is that most other work ceased in the site, worst of all 2 articles I had for the site interviewing ILM people that should have come out in September, and without any support this is extremely difficult. I have updated a few things on my spare time, most noticeably the Upcoming Projects page, but I hope to upload updated versions of other sections soon. Some of the award pages already are updated. I'll document the other site changes in this thread for control and keeping everyone updated.
By malducin
OK one of the first changes I did, quite a while ago so I don't even remember when (but probably around the time I started tackling the backlog), was changing the ILMfan copyright so the initial year is 1996, not 1995 as I initially had it. I could swear I saw ILMfan first back in 95, but thefan mentioned that as far as his records and recollections that it started sometime in 96. So this means we celebrate 10 years of ILMfan this year. Wow!!!
By malducin
I added new random headers for the main site (the small images in the top left of the main site that show shots ILM has done) on October 3, October 17 and November 10, 2005. This images includes shots from Lemony Snicket's, The Island, Star Wars Episode 3 (the bulk), Jarhead, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, War of the Worlds, Mars Attacks!, Flubber, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Hulk, AI, The Day After Tomorrow, THX1138 Special Edition, Son of the Mask, Peter Pan, The Mummy Returns, Space Cowboys, xXx 2 State of the Union and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

It was a total of 46 new images.
By malducin
OK updated all the awards pages to reflect the results so far in 2005 (Saturns take place May 2nd though).

Also added a search box to the main page on the main site. While I still don't like how the webpages results are presented, it should help newcomers or sporadic visitors look for info, especially since the announcements are presented first.
By malducin
Added a new page for Lucasfilm Animation people. Even though it's a separate company they'll share or have people and technology from ILM.

Next step is revamping the other people pages. Already have some progress on that.
By malducin
Duuuuhhhhh!!! the lucasfilm animation people page didn't show because I didn't activate it fordisplay. Fixed now.
By malducin
OK hid the Original Star Wars DVD petition, updated the Recent changes box and changed the Welcome to ILMfan at the bottom of the main site with an introductory message.

Also added a few days ago 2 Poseidon and 1 MI3 image to the rotating header images.