Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By vfx fan
Yesterday, (Wednesday) I saw one of the best movies of this year, the Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring. Although slow and talkative at times, LotR delivers some of the best action sequences I have ever seen in a medieval period movie. There were more than just sword fights, in fact, I don't recall sword fights having as big of a part in this movie as opposed to classic movies like Excalibur and other King Arthur movies. I enjoyed watching actual sorcery fights, which also had a sense of humor, and I like that in a movie.

Unlike most medieval movies, LOTR uses magic well. It seems that it has become mature for this movie. And at times, it becomes overly intense. Keep in mind, that this is not a bad thing, as long as the movie is carrying a PG-13 rating. It was just amazing how somebody could create bloody battle scenes without ever showing the blood. The film also includes some clever cinematography and the color of the film is absolutely brilliant. I enjoyed some of the gliding camera shots as well.

For those of you who are disappointed in the ending of the film, remember, there really was no ending; the two sequels will be coming out in the years 2002 and 2003. I know that I will be seeing both of them.

*THE FX--CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Director Peter Jackson's New Zealandic fx house WETA produced the fx for Lord of the Rings. Digital Domain and Rhythm & Hues along with a few others produced a few shots as well. For the most part, the fx were flawless. I especially loved the fireworks fx. Every shot in this sequence was astounding. Another shot that really impressed me was a sequence where the river starts to overflow and gallons of water shaped like horseriders rush to wash away the bad guys. This was another beautiful shot. There was a lot of great character animation done by WETA, but I don't really want to ruin anymore for you.

While Lord of the Rings contains creatures and such, much of the fx work could have never been done if it weren't for the production designer (Forget his name). There are glorious matte paintings throughout the film; all of them looked stunning. Some of the camerawork could have never been done without some kind of computer generated imagery. Overall, the fx were very nice, and I guarantee that Lord of the Rings will be one of the top Oscar contenders in the technical categories at least.

*THE TRAILERS*

First of all, I saw the trailer for Rollerball, which looked action packed. At times, it almost looked exactly like the Fast and the Furious, but that could have been the background music; both trailers featured songs played by Limp Bizkit.

I also saw the trailer for Queen of the Damned, starring the late Aaliyah. It basically looks like a horror version of the Matrix. It seems that MVFX, the fx house that worked on both the Matrix and this movie, is doing nothing more than the stupid slow motion fx which got old the second time I saw the Matrix.

Next, I saw the teaser of Austin Powers in Goldmember. It looks absolutely hilarious if what was shown in the trailer will be in the movie. I guess that the movie will revolve around a Mini-Austin Powers.

Then I saw a trailer of Minority Report. I got a glimpse of ILM's work, although it was hard to determine what I was seeing. The trailer was a lot like Steven Spielberg's A.I. in aspects of a white background in some shots.

The last trailer was the one for Signs. Hardly anything is said in the trailer. All that could be seen were mostly crop circles. I suspect that most of them will be computer generated. I will definitely see this one just because it's by M. Night Shaymalyn. Both of his films with Bruce Willis were brilliant.