Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By boneheadfx
Speaking of plane shots:
One of my all time favorite group of FX is in Raiders of the Lost Ark-those shots of the Pan Am clipper flying over the Golden Gate Bridge fooled me when I first saw them-I almost thought they found a real China Clipper and got it flying again!
Again, good shots of this model in the Lucas Archives book-real great model.
By Kmart
I think the plane crash is covered in CINEFEX; they originally just crashed the plane into a model mountain, but without a fireball, since IT WAS OUT OF FUEL. But Lucas didn't think it was exciting enough, so they superimposed that sucky fireball.
By Kmart
On 2002-08-30 18:49, boneheadfx wrote:
Speaking of plane shots:
One of my all time favorite group of FX is in Raiders of the Lost Ark-those shots of the Pan Am clipper flying over the Golden Gate Bridge fooled me when I first saw them-I almost thought they found a real China Clipper and got it flying again!
Again, good shots of this model in the Lucas Archives book-real great model.

Put that with the DreamQuest shot in INDY2 of the plane over the great wall - BOTH super efforts!
By boneheadfx
Absolutley!

I remember an issue of Starlog where they showed how they did use a real Pan Am clipper for the matte shot where Indy is boarding the plane-the clipper was unflyable, only one engine worked, AND it was on dry ground-they did some pretty tricky matte work to make it look like it was sitting in water.
By malducin
Yes that shot of Indy boarding the plane on Raiders is in the first ILM book and it shows the original plate, the separate matte painting and the finished shot, plus a photo of Muren as the German spy.

I thnik the plane crash in Temple of Doom was OK, after all it was smal in the frame . I guess the fireball is too evident though. It's not worse than the Hoth generator explosion in ESB.

splinebender:

Thanks for the info, really fantastic. I keep accumulating all this little tidbits that need to be updated on the FAQ. Too much controversy on the digital comp issue. In the VFX newsgroup there was a post, might have been Chriss Watts, that even mentioned one earlier that the CFC or ILM one. Apparently a guy did an almost full frame digital comp (1500 lines resolution if memory serves me) but it might have been done for video or something special, not really a theatrical release. Anyway thanks for the anecdote.
By ninja turtle
what do you think about the shot with the men falling in the river and eaten by the crocodiles.When i saw the movie for the first time ,at the age of 13, i was very impressed by the sequence.Because seemed that the camera followed them while they're falling.
By vfx fan
Another problem I had with "Temple of Doom" was the shot where Mola Ram falls off the bridge-turned-latter is that it seems like a longer fall than what was originally depicted when we are first shown the bridge. I thought the physics in this shot were extremely hokey, as well.

However, I did like the lava pit, even though some of the compositing was kind of off - but hey, that was 1984. How did they do the lava in the pit? Was it made with the same ingredients as the lava in "Congo?"

By the way, did anybody think "Starship Troopers" was an underrated ILM movie? Personally, I thought so, but I like the kind of satirical humor in Verhoeven's films. To me, "Starship Troopers" was the most similar to "Robocop" than any other Verhoeven movies.
By malducin
Well again it depends how people here are referring to about under rated. Starship Troopers was certainly not underrated it was a film that everyone talked about the special effects. Maybe not everyone was aware of the work besides the one from Tippett and SPI. But by that logic Titanic would be the most under rated.

Anyway about the lava pit I don't remember any composites, I guess I have to watch the film again. Are you referring to the flames that burst out of the first victim. After all that was a puppett lowered to the miniature lava flow.. Ahhh if only the movies would come out on DVD.
By vfx fan
Though I do think "Starship Troopers" was overlooked by much of the general audience. It should have made more money at the box office, and the film deserved a sequel. I actually thought the campy acting and the overall campy style of "Starship Troopers" are what made the film work.

I'm also waiting for the "Indiana Jones" trilogy, though I doubt George Lucas will allow it to be released until after "Indiana Jones 4" is released and comes out on DVD. I liked "Raiders" and "Last Crusade," but I didn't like "Temple of Doom," and I suspect that when the movies do come out, they will only be availible as a set, like the "Back to the Future" DVDs will be when they come out.
By The Cynic
I have friends at Paramount that tell me they are currently working onthe Indiana Jones DVDs.

Has anyone else noticed that 'Raiders' is now titled 'Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark' in the VHS trilogy pack?
By Frank666
Why is everybody picking on "Temple of Doom" ? Besides the F/X from ILM, the first 15 minutes REALLY kick ass !
By vfx fan
On 2002-09-01 00:40, The Cynic wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that 'Raiders' is now titled 'Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark' in the VHS trilogy pack?

Yes, but I'm just used to simply calling it "Raiders of the Lost Ark." That's its original title.
By Ahem
Last edited by Ahem on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ninja turtle
ok,Ahem ,i think that critters has some of the best effects in the history and deserved the oscar for 1986 ,and Wes Craven New Nightmare has the best computer animation in the last 10 years.
By malducin
LOL, oh well. Problem with The Last Starfighter is that it was probably seen like Tron, in the sense that the Academy might have thought they cheated. Trek 3 also suffers the surse of being perceived of more of the same. Now 2010 was a real contender and in a sense I was pissed when it didn't win other awards, particularly for costumes.
By Shane
I like 2010. Sure it followed 2001, but it works well for a more literal, straight forward, story than what Kubrick told.

Kubrick had a ambiguous take on Clarke's story. Hyams and Clarke just wanted to tell a straightforward story. They did that well,IMO.
By vfx fan
Almost all of the Kubrick movies I've seen make absolutely no sense, especially "2001." I'm glad that "2010" was released because "2001" surely needed something that could explain what was going on. After watching "2010," I've begun to like "2001" much better.

Also, "The Shining" has an ending that makes little sense, however, if you read the book, then it becomes more clear to you. For "The Shining," I think Kubrick left out some important plot points that were in the book, thus making a below average movie, in my opinion.
By splinebender
-quote-
I don't have to keep repeating myself Re: Temple's lamentable, sub-Phony Imageworks 'quality' "special" effects work. And the fact it won an Oscar proves why the Academy is a steaming pile of Donkey Doo concerning talent.

Temple of Doom's FX are not even laughable. They are highly offensive to anyone who has ever participated in watching movies either on the big screen or on TV. the matte paintings and mine cart aside, TOD has the worst FX since Dellaurentiis King Kong outraged Jim Danforth enough that he quit the academy.

-unquote-

To each their own and all that, but I find it impossible to take anything you say seriously after reading this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: splinebender on 2002-09-03 13:57 ]</font>
By EwanMagic
On 2002-09-03 13:55, splinebender wrote:
-quote-
I don't have to keep repeating myself Re: Temple's lamentable, sub-Phony Imageworks 'quality' "special" effects work. And the fact it won an Oscar proves why the Academy is a steaming pile of Donkey Doo concerning talent.

Temple of Doom's FX are not even laughable. They are highly offensive to anyone who has ever participated in watching movies either on the big screen or on TV. the matte paintings and mine cart aside, TOD has the worst FX since Dellaurentiis King Kong outraged Jim Danforth enough that he quit the academy.

-unquote-

To each their own and all that, but I find it impossible to take anything you say seriously after reading this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: splinebender on 2002-09-03 13:57 ]</font>

Right On!

I couldn't agree more.
By Ahem
Last edited by Ahem on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.