Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By vfx fan
I thought the best fx in "Jumanji" appeared in the mosquito and spider sequences. The stampede looked good, too, but I think the vine was mixed; the head of it looked like an animatronic, but the stems were really well done. I didn't really think much of the miniature dividing house sequence. When I first saw the movie I could tell how that sequence was accomplished. Other cool fx in "Jumanji" included the quicksand sequence and the cyclone that sucks the creatures back into the game.

By the way, "Jumanji" had an early bullet time effect, which has been forgotten in recent times. I think you guys know what shot I'm talking about. See? ILM practically pioneered the bullet time stuff in "The Matrix."
By vfx fan
Oh, I've got an underrated ILM feature: "Last Action Hero."
By vfx fan
Oh, and how could I forget "Mission to Mars?"
By Shane
Dude, wait a minute. Are you looking for underrated, meaning great work not appreciated, or forgotten, work not readily recognized as being ILM? I'm confused because you just said MTM and that may be underrated, in your eyes, but it's not forgotten.

And if your going to list a film, give your opinion why you think it should not be underrated or remembered.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shane on 2002-08-23 16:50 ]</font>
By vfx fan
I meant how could I forget this underrated movie: "Mission to Mars." Of course it hasn't been "forgotten."
By boneheadfx
What did ILM do in Mission 2 Mars?
I know they didn't do the vortex-did they do the alien stuff at the end?
By vfx fan
Yes, they did the alien stuff and the planetarium sequence. Also, they worked on the spacewalk, and the awesome shot where Tim Robbins's character takes off his helmet...in the void of space!
By boneheadfx
Oh yeah-I forgot about that part. That was cool.
By vfx fan
And if my memory serves me right, I believe Tippett Studio did secondary stuff on the vortex sequence, like one of the shots in which the astronaut holds onto the rock, and the part where the astronaut spins and blows up, yes?
By boneheadfx
The Secret Lab did most of the Vortex-(I've got a making-of that scene on my Maya demo disk-pretty freaking cool!) I couldn't remember on Tippet as to all they did-I'll have to dig up my Cinefex on that when I get home.
By Kmart
Tippett had to match to a lot of DQI's stuff, doing closer shots while DQI did wider, as I recall. They also had to match their dust storm stuff to other companies views. A few dozen shots, maybe 100 altogether.
By boneheadfx
"They also had to match their dust storm stuff to other companies views. A few dozen shots, maybe 100 altogether."

That had to have been extremely difficult-having to match the density of dust, particulation, color value etc. Those particle generations were pretty complex.
By vfx fan
I'm not sure what CIS did on the show. They couldn't have done wire and rig removal because that was handed to Jim Henson's Creature Shop. Though CIS could have completed some wire removal shots. Anybody know more?

Speaking of CIS, it seems that they're attempting to get into bigger-scale fx movies with "The Core." I saw a trailer of it when I went to see "XXX." It looks interesting, but given that I'm a sci-fi geek, who wouldn't think it's interesting?

Other fx houses besides CIS working on "The Core" are: Creo (I've never heard of this one), Rising Sun Pictures, and I think Cinesite. This should be interesting; I'd desperately like to see what Rising Sun could do, the only other project they worked on that I heard of is "Red Planet." We'll just have to wait and see...
By vfx fan
Now back to forgotten films: I was surprised nobody has put "The Flintstones." Well, I just did. :smile:

Rather than post another post, I'd put "Explorers" and "Enemy Mine," as well. Both are forgotten ILM features, and to some, underrated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vfx fan on 2002-08-25 19:00 ]</font>
By malducin
First things first. Are we talking most under rated or most obscure. To me under rated means something that was top notch but didn't get the recognition.

Anyway as far as Jumanji it was Johnston edict that the animals be a bit cartooney to keep some of the spirit of the book. I thought Jumanji was great and maybe a bit under rated, especially since it was one of the first major uses of CG hair on film.

M2M. Tippett did the ripping apart of the astronaut. As far as the vortex stuff that was mainly DQI but Tippett added many of the debris and rocks that fly out. certainly it wasn't an under rated ILM film, FX wise. heck wasn't the film on the bake-off and it got a lot of publicity and buzz before the release, even though it tanked.
By vfx fan
"Casper" was definitely an underrated movie. It had some of the greatest character animation for a movie of that time and people just seemed to forget about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vfx fan on 2002-08-29 13:54 ]</font>
By ninja turtle
agree with you ,vfx .
By Shane
I asked the same thing above Mal for clarification but no one gave an answer.

If we're talking underrated, 101 Dalmations. Great Character Animation and split screen stuff. Not much made about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shane on 2002-08-29 14:37 ]</font>
By vfx fan
Yeah, "101 Dalmatians" had some great character animation. I think the movie was one of vfx supervisor Michael Owens's best project. What pisses me off is that Owens has never been nominated for an Oscar. He's one of the most important people in ILM's history and he was never recognized by the Academy. His work in "Space Cowboys" is probably some of ILM's finest.

As for underrated and/or forgotten ILM projects, "Willow" should have gotten more recognition than it did as a movie (the film's fx were phenomenal). And if it hasn't been mentioned already, ILM was wrongfully accused for creating the bad fx for "Spawn," which we all know wasn't true. Most of their work was excellent in classic superhero-cartoon style.
By ninja turtle
the only bad effects in spawn were in the hell sequence(that i remember was done by another effect-house).