Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By Kmart
TMP is still very schizophrenic for me. It was the biggest moviegoing disappointment ever for me (even over the matrix sequel), but by the time it hit laserdisc I had really fallen in love with the cloud passage, and by the time of DVD I even started liking (most) of Apogee's vger flyover.

I've actually seen it more times than just about anything else, even 2001 (which I have always absolutely loved) or BLADE RUNNER (which I have always loved) or KHAN (which I always got a kick out of); I watch parts of it every month, and my wife lets me see it straight through about twice a year (when she is doing baking marathons.) But my god, it has such storytelling problems! And there are so many filmmaking choices that seem so wrongheaded, from the split field diopters to lighting aging actors with light coming from below. And while I'm now finally used to the 'procedural' feel, it is antithetical to TREK stylistically.

And it misses dramatic ops right & left. Sulu steering this ship 500 meters above that monster while flying at warp 7 plus should be a gut wrenching nerve wracking exhausting experience, but there's no indication of any hardship at all -- like nobody even considered the dramatic suspense aspect ... for a movie!

Reading RtT, you get a really serious idea of some issues facing the makers, but you could say the same thing about EXORCIST 2 if you read that making of book, which is about 535 pages shorter!
By TylerMirage
No, they are tomorrow night. Be sure to tune in at 8pm tomorrow.
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be sure to- wait a second...

And the Oscar goes to... First Man! And ILM worked on it, so I guess this means ILM can share in the Oscar glory, right? Right? Guys? :cry:

Congrats to everyone involved, and it strengthens the trend that the Academy is putting their votes towards the more "subtle", supporting VFX work rather than in-your-face space lasers, dinosaurs and robots.
By ninja turtle
No, they are tomorrow night. Be sure to tune in at 8pm tomorrow.
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be sure to- wait a second...

And the Oscar goes to... First Man! And ILM worked on it, so I guess this means ILM can share in the Oscar glory, right? Right? Guys? :cry:

Congrats to everyone involved, and it strengthens the trend that the Academy is putting their votes towards the more "subtle", supporting VFX work rather than in-your-face space lasers, dinosaurs and robots.
well , i was completely wrong about this. It Looks like that the Academy criteria in this category change every year, or every month, or every day.

Congratulations to the artists of DNG, but First Man winning is a traversty , just like The Golden Compass and Ex- Machina.
By ShaneP

No. ILM did a small amount of uncredited work. The people named on the award are who it goes to, and to the companies they represent by extension. So NO SOUP for you ILM!

From the time First Man was nominated, I just felt it was going to be the dark horse in the race and the potential upset. From DNegs previous wins on Interstellar and Ian Hunter involved again as well, I thought it had a good chance of winning.
And Marvel continues its losing streak. Now, I wouldn't be surprised to see Avengers: Endgame be nominated and win next year as a sort of culmination win for Marvel at the very end of its current MCU run, but who knows? But Avengers: Infinity War itself continued the MCU trend of just shoving so much vfx into a film, great, good, and just okay, that I'm not surprised it didn't win. Thanos was very good as was the Black Order but the rest? It was just good, but not great in my opinion.

ILM stock in trade is working on these big huge spectacles and they live by it....and die by it at the Oscars apparently.

I've said for years I wish ILM worked on more smaller or even mid-size films with the kind of work shown in Ex Machina and First Man but that is easier said than done for a huge company that made its legacy on vfx blockbusters.