Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By ShaneP
Infinity War....this film is notable for two things: the Wakanda battle and Thanos. Those were both very well done, especially when Thanos is on Earth.
Thanos and his Black Order were superb. But honestly, was anyone out there actually praising the Wakanda Battle for its VFX work? Serious question. People applaud the finale, but most of it seems to stem from the general "ooh wow cool epic final battle" or "such dramatic stakes"-angle rather than genuine praise for the effects work. Anything involving Thanos/Black Order/Hulkbuster was great stuff, but everything else was just generic "actors/digital doubles fighting a disposable alien army against a green-screen"-schtick. Like, there's not even much (if anything) to appreciate from the perspective of visual effects enhancing/being enhanced by practical on-set effects or miniatures. :e_confused:
Don't you mean the battle of Naboo in The Phantom Menace? :P It shares some very interesting parallels to it, down to defensive and offensive tactics, enemy landing force, disposable army, and a battle to buy time.

Some of the stuff Marvel gets praise for Lucas did twenty years ago and people bitched about.
By TylerMirage
Don't you mean the battle of Naboo in The Phantom Menace? :P It shares some very interesting parallels to it, down to defensive and offensive tactics, enemy landing force, disposable army, and a battle to buy time.

Some of the stuff Marvel gets praise for Lucas did twenty years ago and people bitched about.
Yousa bettah bein careful witten da comparin of Meesta Lucas to da highinmightee MCU. Yousa mite bein ostrichinsized like meesa.

But yeah, the similarities are pretty jarring, especially the videos on Youtube that splice together the two movies. :lol:
By vfx fan
READY PLAYER ONE is the only movie on the list I'd pop in more than once. I had a really good time at that film. And I want to fuck Art3mis.
By Kmart
4 out of 5 for me! I don't think First Man has any chance. Avengers will win ,even if imho Ready Player One and Solo have the best work.
Really? I finally watched FIRST MAN last night and kept stopping the movie to go back and look at VFX shots to figure out if they were enhanced stock or full on modelwork. I knew the nightime Saturn shot was a miniature but didn't see any red flags in the shot itself. I was utterly blown away by the space stuff, I think there were maybe two shots I had problems with in the whole film, and I'm (as most here well know) picky as all get out on spaceship stuff!

I'm particularly angry that the cinematography wasn't cited, between this and BATTLE OF THE SEXES, I am totally mesmerized by Sandrgren's evocative period work, though I can see how the actual film doesn't generate much love among filmgoers.

I'd figure if FIRST doesn't win, it is APOLLO 13/CE3K syndrome, where voters don't even know how many of the shots are VFX.
By TylerMirage
Guys, I just realized something.

1994: ILM got the Oscar for Forrest Gump.
2006: ILM got the Oscar for Pirates 2.

Notice the pattern? 12 years. Could...could 2018 actually be ILM's year again? :lol:
By ShaneP
Guys, I just realized something.

1994: ILM got the Oscar for Forrest Gump.
2006: ILM got the Oscar for Pirates 2.

Notice the pattern? 12 years. Could...could 2018 actually be ILM's year again? :lol:
By ShaneP
So are we all prepared for anyone but ILM to win tonight??? Despite their body of quality work as with every year 😕😕
I picked First Man months ago and am sticking with it. That's not necessarily who I am rooting for but it is who I am predicting will win.

I would actually LOVE IT if Solo won.
By Bigjonr
I watched first man yesterday, it's good visually and the extension to actual footage very impressive, but surely the amount of work that went into solo or the others is or should be the deciding factor The quality shown in that film is remarkable and more so the imaginative use of effects and techniques.
By Kmart
I don't get the SOLO love at all. The screen stuff in the FALCON cockpit is great, granted but the movie itself looks so ... well, available-light that it seems anti-cinematography to me, and having effects that blend seamlessly with that look seems like something less than an accomplishment. Plus, crucify me if you have to, but the train caper stuff didn't sell to me at ALL.

FIRST MAN all the way for me, though I'm not over the moon about the movie itself (and yeah, I actually wrote those words before I realized the pun in them, but figured whatthehell.)
By Kmart
Infinity war won!!!!!!!!!!
Thanos will accept, and in so doing cause the elimination of half the voting members of the academy.
By ShaneP
I don't get the SOLO love at all. The screen stuff in the FALCON cockpit is great, granted but the movie itself looks so ... well, available-light that it seems anti-cinematography to me, and having effects that blend seamlessly with that look seems like something less than an accomplishment. Plus, crucify me if you have to, but the train caper stuff didn't sell to me at ALL.
Okay, Star Trek: The Motion Picture for the win. You happy now Kmart? :P It's only thirty years late but maybe AMPAS finally caught up with its sheer genius(and expense). Maybe Abel would still be working on it and barely finishing it to qualify? :(

Seriously though, Solo is a middling movie but I enjoyed the different fx techniques employed. Plus, fish tank explosions man! There are you tubers out there inspired by this very act of filmmaking.*

*seriously there are youtube videos of people blowing up fish aquariums.
By TylerMirage
Wait, the Oscars are tonight?!?

This is seriously the first year in more than a decade that I not only haven't been glued to my screen for the Oscars, but straight-up forgot about the timeline. :lol:
By ShaneP
Wait, the Oscars are tonight?!?

This is seriously the first year in more than a decade that I not only haven't been glued to my screen for the Oscars, but straight-up forgot about the timeline. :lol:
No, they are tomorrow night. Be sure to tune in at 8pm tomorrow.
By Kmart
Okay, Star Trek: The Motion Picture for the win. You happy now Kmart? :P It's only thirty years late but maybe AMPAS finally caught up with its sheer genius(and expense). Maybe Abel would still be working on it and barely finishing it to qualify? :(

Seriously though, Solo is a middling movie but I enjoyed the different fx techniques employed. Plus, fish tank explosions man! There are you tubers out there inspired by this very act of filmmaking.*

*seriously there are youtube videos of people blowing up fish aquariums.
`I'm still more bummed about AP13<BABE.

And SILENT RUNNING apparently losing to NO AWARD!

In 79, I think I was rooting nearly as much for 1941 as I was TMP, because the model work was just so ambitious. Plus '41 was the only movie (sf or otherwise) that didn't massively disappoint me that whole month. It was bracketed by greatness, with APOCALYPSE in October and ALL THAT JAZZ getting to San Jose in January, but dec79 was a whole lot of blue mondays for me, between my initial response to TMP (I had pre-bought tickets to FOUR screenings in the first week, and wasn't able to unload any of them) and my eye-rolling/outright-laughter/dismay at THE BLACK HOLE.

Now that I'm thinking about things ... did EVENT HORIZON and SPACE COWBOYS not even get nominated?
By Kmart
Maybe Abel would still be working on it and barely finishing it to qualify? :(
Barely finishing it in time for the 82 Oscars, maybe.
By ShaneP

`I'm still more bummed about AP13<BABE.

And SILENT RUNNING apparently losing to NO AWARD!

In 79, I think I was rooting nearly as much for 1941 as I was TMP, because the model work was just so ambitious. Plus '41 was the only movie (sf or otherwise) that didn't massively disappoint me that whole month. It was bracketed by greatness, with APOCALYPSE in October and ALL THAT JAZZ getting to San Jose in January, but dec79 was a whole lot of blue mondays for me, between my initial response to TMP (I had pre-bought tickets to FOUR screenings in the first week, and wasn't able to unload any of them) and my eye-rolling/outright-laughter/dismay at THE BLACK HOLE.

Now that I'm thinking about things ... did EVENT HORIZON and SPACE COWBOYS not even get nominated?
No noms for either Event Horizon or Space Cowboys. Too bad too as both of those films still have some terrific space vfx.

I suppose TMP has aged well for you then over your initial response or is it still frustrating to you? It's grown on me a lot over the last several years....decades. I couldn't get into it at the time. I was six and it was way too slow and intellectual for me. Star Wars action was more my thing(which is probably why I loved The Black Hole at the time too :P ). It wasn't really until the 90s that I started to appreciate TMP and its story.
1941....I vaguely recall the Ferris wheel coming off its hinges and rolling somehere. Was it into the bay onto the Japanese sub? What a crazy movie. Sometimes it seemed as much like a John Landis movie as a Spielberg one but maybe that's just because of the cast?