Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

They really can't find any new idea's for these films can they?
What're you talking about? Corrupt businesspeople want to exploit the dinosaurs for money and yearn to take them off the island in giant metal cag- oh.

:D

Frankly, it appears that the World trilogy is just rehashing the original trilogy's stories.

Movie #1.) Explore the "functioning" park.
Movie #2.) Taking dinosaurs off the island because old dudes in suits want money.

Ergo, Jurassic World 3: We Still Haven't Learned Our Lesson will presumably be about rescuing a child actor that they forgot on the island from Fallen Kingdom. :lol:
Mediocre at best, with some nice visual touches from Bayona and a couple of spectacular action scenes. The Vfx are good for the new hybrid predator ( Indoraptor?) and the volcano scene , but i was shocked to see how the compositing and lighting was much better in the 2015 movie than in this(especially in the daytime scenes ). Maybe they had to bring back Tim Alexander to supervise.
Nice little motion capture behind the scenes featurette showing Jurassic World: Blue VR experience from Felix and Paul Studios, Oculus Rift and ILM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... aBcCEGoHEk

Animation supervisors Glen McIntosh and Maia Kayser are in the video and McIntish talks a bit about it.

Thanks to Ian for the heads up.
Wow, this movie was Sharknado levels of awful, except where Sharknado was trying to be a tongue-in-cheek mockery of similar campy sci-fi fare, this one wanted to be taken seriously by putting socio-political commentary woven together by a collection of Internet memes that will undoubtedly date this movie in a few years, which arguably made it funnier.

And I don't care how much Jeff Goldblumy exposition dialogue you have in your movie, this installment does not feel like it belongs in the same universe.

It's a shame because...the fx work was phenomenal, much better than the previous installment, but the design of certain dinos, not so much. The cinematography and production design were also breathtaking, but they didn't belong in this movie. The film took risks in all the wrong ways, and not enough in the ways it should have.

With that said, however, I wasn't bored at any point, and it's certainly worth a matinee for entertainment and mockery purposes, but I think the Jurassic franchise has finally downgraded from an A-list B-movie to a Syfy Original...and I do foresee that happening in this franchise's future. Syfy and Universal are both owned by Comcast, correct?
Well, I enjoyed this infinitely more than Jurassic World. Was it good? I dunno', I still need to let it digest a bit more. At least Fallen Kingdom had the courtesy to be 100% unpretentious and not try to kid the audience into thinking that it was more than what it actually was. FK just said "screw it" and went full-bore ridiculous. If the movie has the balls to abritrarily double the size of the mosasaur (seriously, that thing is now in Biblical Leviathan league) and give us Hannibal Lectersaurus 2.0, I can't not have some fun.

I did roll my eyes at some of the more obnoxious references to previous movies, but whatever...

Also impressed at the mix of practical/CG work. It didn't feel like they put the practical/animatronic work in the movie "just because" or out of some misplaced sense of nostalgia. It felt a lot more organic because of the composition of shots - they just lent themselves more to using animatronic heads and claws and such than JW did.

Also impressed at the mix of practical/CG work. It didn't feel like they put the practical/animatronic work in the movie "just because" or out of some misplaced sense of nostalgia. It felt a lot more organic because of the composition of shots - they just lent themselves more to using animatronic heads and claws and such than JW did.
The best use of all of those practical fx today never should call attention to themselves as that but just be a part of the mix in delivering shots. Nothing bugs me more than "oh we are going practical...yay!" without considering if CG is better for a particular technique. It reminds me of some of the PR overkill for Star Wars Episode Seven where the producers crowed nonstop about practical fx yet the finished show ended up having as many or nearly as many CG shots in it than any of the prequels and Ep. VII didnt even use any models and miniatures like the prequels did! That was annoying how they oversold that.
The best use of all of those practical fx today never should call attention to themselves as that but just be a part of the mix in delivering shots. Nothing bugs me more than "oh we are going practical...yay!" without considering if CG is better for a particular technique. It reminds me of some of the PR overkill for Star Wars Episode Seven where the producers crowed nonstop about practical fx yet the finished show ended up having as many or nearly as many CG shots in it than any of the prequels and Ep. VII didnt even use any models and miniatures like the prequels did! That was annoying how they oversold that.
As usual, we're all preaching to the same choir. :lol: The press stuff for pretty much any of the recent Star Wars films is the worst offender for this (but honestly, any action/FX movie that's been released in the last three years has had obnoxious levels of "hur dur doin' it all 4 realz" in their home media behind-the-scenes).

That's what I loved about that brief Youtube link about Scanlon's work in FK - they were proud to be contributing practical work, but nobody was turning their nose up at the CG work or bragging about the practical work. And the fact that they straight-up say "these shots were specifically planned for practical work" - THAT is how you do it. You know the mediums, you know their strengths, you break down the script and say "this can be achieved practically, but that can't" and so on. FK simply had more story-based reasons to see dinosaurs in more restrictive close-ups and laying on tables or covered with blankets that lend themselves so well to animatronic work.

I rewatched JW in prep for Fallen Kingdom, and I tried to specifically pay more attention to the composition of shots and how they relate to the potential use of practical work/animatronics/puppets. I know that I've said this before, but the high-octane nature of the action and just the way the dinosaurs are filmed do not lend themselves to a lot of in-camera work. They just don't. But I did notice some shots that could've (note: could have, not necessarily should have) used animatronics.

-Instead of just the head/first five feet of the neck of the Apatosaurus, I'm a firm believer that the entire creature's body could've been practical. It's viewed in all of, like, two shots (a big wide shot showing the whole thing and then a medium that follows Crisp Rat as he walks from the tail to the head).
-Many close-ups of the Raptor heads as they're held in restraints (minimal movement, all that's visible is the head and neck)
-The odd baby-dino in the petting zoo as they're held or eat food out of kids' hands
-If they wanted to be ambitious, an Indominus Rex hand and head could've been built for certain shots that have lots of interaction with the actors on set

A small handful of shots or moments, but enough that I feel it might've appeased those nostalgia purists crying for more animatronics (not that we really need to try and please them...). But then of course the problem becomes making sure that the animatronics and CGI blend between or within shots, since that's the main problem these days.
By ShaneP
And FxGuide's article about the numerous challenges for Vickery, Wuttke and the ILM London,Vancouver, and San Francisco teams:

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/jurass ... reloaded=1

Ian's article for Thrillist covering some of the interesting on-set and in-camera tricks to mimic special movements or actions of actors, dinos, and lava:

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment ... effects-fx
Some more behind the scenes from Important Looking Pirates' work on JW:FK.

https://vimeo.com/299012527?fbclid=IwAR ... NyD1b2y2Ss

They worked on basically the entire opening night sequence, some Blue shots in the final including the dinosaur itself and wire removal.

Very cool that they shared dinosaur work with ILM. I've always been fascinated when different companies take the same character and both work on it.

Also, it serves as a good reminder of just how much is CG these days, and simultaneously, what they still do practically. Building small portions of the submersible as practical elements, the truck that the T.rex flips starts out as practical, and yet the 'upload device' that Mr. Opening Act Casuality drops before getting stepped on was digital. Like, blows my mind that even us 'savvy' VFX peeps can be fooled by what's real and what's not.