Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By PaulILMFan
Looks fantastic Spielberg is bringing a serious 80s vibe to the trailer alone some very memorable cameos from 1980s pop culture icons :thumbup:

Looks visually like a cross between AI & Minority Report but some of those 80s cameos are just :omg: shame its not out until 2018 but I think this is going to be the Spielberg popcorn cinematic event of this decade :eek: VFX look fantastic as well ILM & Digital Domain are the main vendors it seems the work in the trailer looks pretty incredible :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znavw4akfoY
By vfx fan
...then suddenly, every millennial started jerking off...

The BACK TO THE FUTURE cues at the end of the trailer was a nice touch.
By PaulILMFan
Way too much was given away again :( Hope it does not rely too much on the VR world sequences they look pretty weak although seeing Chuckie was fun & more DeLorean shots is always welcome. That car plays a major part in the movie so its great Silvestri is also composer as John Williams was busy doing Star Bores 8 & The Post.
By ShaneP
I watched that first trailer I linked to but am foregoing further ones because I don't want to see too much. I want to go in as fresh as possible.

I will come back once the film is out and peek at this stuff.

Blackout commencing in 3...2...1.
By Kmart
I thought I was doing a cinematography/VFX story on this, but ten days ago, after my editor said the interviews had to be done by month's end, I reconfirmed that fact with the studio. Have not heard back since ...
By ShaneP
Kmart wrote:I thought I was doing a cinematography/VFX story on this, but ten days ago, after my editor said the interviews had to be done by month's end, I reconfirmed that fact with the studio. Have not heard back since ...

That sucks.
By Kmart
yeah, that's confirmed as DOA. Too bad, thought I was going to be on a 'streak' with two ILM movies in a row, instead of one every 7 years.
By aslan
This looks like the shittiest film in forever. Terrible 80s nostalgia for man children, flat looking performances, abysmal cg. Syfy channel knock off all the way based on a godawful book.
By ShaneP
Another Brit knocking the SyFy channel..first PaulILMFan and now you, aslan....is there something in the water over there? :mrgreen:

That said, I agree with you. This is not a movie for me. This virtual stuff is just not where my head is now. But it is Spielberg and ILM so I will see it just for that....and hopefully I am pleasantly surprised.
By ninja turtle
I have faith in Spielberg, but i fear thery are going down the route of " Since it takes place in VR, It's ok that the carachters look cg ".

Aslan, welcome back. Did you see any recent ILM work, like Kong or The Last Jedi?
By aslan
Well Shane, syfy channel over here is not what you have there. No Expanse or Galactica or any good stuff. Mostly Sharknado and next generation on loop :(

Thanks Ninja, nice to have a little time free again. I will post about what I have seen in the appropriate threads to keep this one free for talk about Spielberg's latest sci fi dissapointement.
By ShaneP
I am reticent about most of Spielberg's fantasy-adventure films now. It really goes back to the first Jurassic Park. That was the last fantasy-action Spielberg film I really enjoyed. Everything in that genre post-Schindler's List has just been a miss in my opinion. It's almost like he split in two after Schindler's into "serious film Spielberg" and "popcorn Spielberg" with the popcorn one losing the seriousness it needs to elevate those films above average to the former serious films.
I enjoy the serious films more today. The Bridge of Spies is my favorite Spielberg film in years. Hopefully, one day the quantum reality serious and popcorn Spielbergs can merge and we can get another genuinely great popcorn Spielberg film again.
I'm just skeptical that Ready Player One is it.
By PaulILMFan
AI that was a pretty decent effort so was War Of The Worlds & even Minority Report had a few good moments!

Last good Spielberg film I saw was Indy 4 so now he is about to start Indy 5 either later this year or early next but I think Harrison is too old now he looked past it in both TFA & BR2049 not sure how much CG they will need to de-age him with for Indy 5 :wink: perhaps Muren will need to come out of retirement & invent some new techniques :thumbup:
By ShaneP
PaulILMFan wrote:AI that was a pretty decent effort so was War Of The Worlds & even Minority Report had a few good moments!

Last good Spielberg film I saw was Indy 4 so now he is about to start Indy 5 either later this year or early next but I think Harrison is too old now he looked past it in both TFA & BR2049 not sure how much CG they will need to de-age him with for Indy 5 :wink: perhaps Muren will need to come out of retirement & invent some new techniques :thumbup:

Oh those all had really great moments especially seeing them in the theater for the first time, WOTW especially when the alien tripods first start their attack. That was terrific stuff.

They just need to hire Lola and have them do their de-aging. Best techniques for de-aging I've seen yet.
By PaulILMFan
ShaneP wrote:
PaulILMFan wrote:AI that was a pretty decent effort so was War Of The Worlds & even Minority Report had a few good moments!

Oh those all had really great moments especially seeing them in the theater for the first time, WOTW especially when the alien tripods first start their attack. That was terrific stuff.

They just need to hire Lola and have them do their de-aging. Best techniques for de-aging I've seen yet.
Hell yeah that scene with Cruise running away from the Tripod attack & the camera tracks him as people are turned to dust all around :thumbup: that is the sort of Spielberg I want to turn up for Indy 5 :wink: I also love the hill scene where Spielberg holds back on going into the actual battle you just see little snatches of it way more effective than a full on reveal :)