Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

On the subject of the Solo movie there is still not a single official image or any video whatsoever and it launches in just over 3 months so its either a gigantic mess or they are still editing away either way its not a good sign but I think Solo is not someone you can recast it just does not work without a younger Harrison playing the part.
I totally agree that it seems odd with how quiet it's been, but I'm of the mindset that everything's under control. I mean, this is Disney we're talking about. This is Star Wars we're talking about. I'm sure everything's going according to plan - they want to have a late reveal for the movie. And really, it wouldn't matter if they didn't show a trailer AT ALL...the movie will still make $900 million at the box office at least. :lol:

My guess is that they'll either have a super secret didn't-see-it-coming trailer drop randomly in the next month, or they'll officially announce that it'll be paired with Black Panther's release.
Superbowl Sunday is the hot rumour for the big reveal trailer so not long! Its still a film no one asked for, does not need to be made & can only be a letdown not sure why Disney bothered. I hope they are more careful about future spinoff movies but they must also be concerned than Rogue 1 is the only decent SW project they have made so far!
Superbowl Sunday is the hot rumour for the big reveal trailer so not long! Its still a film no one asked for, does not need to be made & can only be a letdown not sure why Disney bothered. I hope they are more careful about future spinoff movies but they must also be concerned than Rogue 1 is the only decent SW project they have made so far!
Oh, wow, how could I forget SuperBowl Sunday? :oops: That makes a lot of sense.

On the subject of the Solo movie there is still not a single official image or any video whatsoever and it launches in just over 3 months so its either a gigantic mess or they are still editing away either way its not a good sign but I think Solo is not someone you can recast it just does not work without a younger Harrison playing the part.
There is a thread here somewhere I started announcing Rob Bredow supervising the vfx for Solo where I essentially said they should be bold and go the Lola route and cast Harrison and then de-age him ala Michael Douglas in Ant Man,'cept for the entire show. It would be incredibly difficult but...that's the point. Give ILM a massive challenge! They could collaborate with Lola even.
I was always dubious about a Solo spinoff set before ANH because...what can you do with the character that is beyond what he is in ANH without leading to more questions than answers? It was the most problematic of all of the announced SW films for me.
But I am sure it will at least look nice. Visually these new films have all been top-notch. But the storytelling has been problematic.

What would have maybe been nice is to save Han's death for this movie. Bookend the film with Han in the sequel era and then flashback to his youth....it's like he is reviewing his life. Have him make amends with Leia(giving Fisher a proper sendoff). Then the last bookend has Han die. That way a Solo movie is really consequential. But this...ehh. Way back when they announced the sequels and spinoffs, this was the one I was concerned about the most.
Oh, wow, how could I forget SuperBowl Sunday? :oops: That makes a lot of sense.
Touchdown :wink:

There is a thread here somewhere I started announcing Rob Bredow supervising the vfx for Solo where I essentially said they should be bold and go the Lola route and cast Harrison and then de-age him ala Michael Douglas in Ant Man,'cept for the entire show. It would be incredibly difficult but...that's the point. Give ILM a massive challenge! They could collaborate with Lola even.
I was always dubious about a Solo spinoff set before ANH because...what can you do with the character that is beyond what he is in ANH without leading to more questions than answers? It was the most problematic of all of the announced SW films for me.
But I am sure it will at least look nice. Visually these new films have all been top-notch. But the storytelling has been problematic.

What would have maybe been nice is to save Han's death for this movie. Bookend the film with Han in the sequel era and then flashback to his youth....it's like he is reviewing his life. Have him make amends with Leia(giving Fisher a proper sendoff). Then the last bookend has Han die. That way a Solo movie is really consequential. But this...ehh. Way back when they announced the sequels and spinoffs, this was the one I was concerned about the most.
De-aging Harrison is a great idea I mean if ILM are doing that for De Niro & Scorsese it must work well by now (although Netflix effectively have an unlimited budget on that one!) The thing is Shane the LFL Story Group run LFL nowadays they do not make fan friendly decisions at all at any level so until Disney decide to toss them away I can see way more pain for existing SW fans from older generations like us sadly which is why I have decided to no longer support the franchise financially !!! They can live without my money I know but TLJ box office blowback shows them you can only discard the older fans so many times before it hurts the one true thing they really notice.....$$$$$$ :e_wink:
Yeah I am still undecided if I will even see this one in the theater. That has never happened before on a SW film but I was never really enthused about this ever since they announced it and then said they were recasting it.

As for the Story Group, I watched something the other night on my Seinfeld DVD set from Season 8. They had a writer for the show. I think it was Peter Mehlman. He wrote the famous Yada Yada Yada episode among others. He said the great thing about the show was you would get to write a script, then a second draft and then a third, all by yourself without interference, and only then would it go to Larry and Jerry for a small rewrite. Then it was ready to shoot. But essentially, he said it wasn't like most tv shows where a writer submits a script and then it goes into room full of decision makers that all jump in and make it bland. He said that was what led to so much "homogenization of tv". That was his phrase.

I thought about that and then the Lucasfilm Story Group. One thing about Seinfeld is it was a distinct show. It had a distinctive voice. Now that Lucas is gone, there isn't that distinctive voice anymore guiding Star Wars. It is just a gaggle of people getting their checklists out and creating a mashup.

And it shows.
I think i quite liked a lot of this film, but i feel like i dislike it too? For me a lot of The enjoyment of star wars is in it's presentation. Sweeping grandeur, New places and cool vehicles, and with this it felt small. Any new stuff barely registered. The spin-off films seem to have more of the epic and new than the saga films so far. It actually made me wish for some of the prequel scope at some points, never thought that would happen.

Vfx were good in General, but then when aren't they these days? Smoke looked great, bit greenscreeny in some of the end battle, but nothing in the film was at the level of war of the apes, which is the best work I have seen to date.
I liked the movie better than TFA, but i can see how these new Star Wars "products" lack the ambition and the scope of the originals and even of the prequels trilogy. One of the main reasons is because, thanks to internet and social media, those pathetic individuals called " fans"( not all of them, but most) could influence creative choices and even dictate them.
Ben Morris talks to Barbara Robertson for Studio Daily about the film:

http://www.studiodaily.com/2018/02/vfx- ... last-jedi/

One of his favorite moments was seeing Frank Oz back doing Yoda. So apparently, Oz didn't just do the voice but also puppeteered him. :eek: Very cool.
Not really surprising, to be honest. Do you think they'd even entertain the idea of "only" have Oz do the voice and not the puppeteering as well? ;) If you're going to Nostalgiaville, you fill that tank of gas right up.