Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

Needs more of that sweet, sweet Transformers/fast furious styling. Who wants great shot design and mindfulness when you can have screaming and incomprehensible mayhem? Give me a hate filled corruption of humanity for my short term gratification over this reminder that beauty exists.
Here is a really awesome video showing the Vulptex, or crystal fox, for SW:TLJ.

http://www.starwars.com/video/the-evolu ... -last-jedi

I really hope we see more of a hybrid approach with CG enhancements onto an animatronic in the same shot instead of the standard animatronic closeup cut. CG full shot cut. etc. Or, even worse, all-CG(except for the really top notch CG work out there).

Both approaches simply don't work(in most cases).

So I hope this video means we will see the synthesis of both crafts in the same shots rather than the old division.
ILM collaborated with Nissan to design six concept cars to promote the upcoming film:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... an-1062185

I would be curious to know who designed what at ILM. They even mention "a female artist" at ILM helped with the Phasma car. Well, WHO?

Also curious if Alex Jaeger worked on this at all because his website is full of auto concepts.
ICG's doing it as their cover story, with cinematographer and vfx interviews. If I see when it goes up online, I'll post a link (there is a separate interview with the director as well - am surprised I didn't get that, since I've interviewed him previously, but wound up doing WONDER WHEEL instead, which was cool cuz I got to talk to the Storaro.)
Kmart wrote:ICG's doing it as their cover story, with cinematographer and vfx interviews. If I see when it goes up online, I'll post a link (there is a separate interview with the director as well - am surprised I didn't get that, since I've interviewed him previously, but wound up doing WONDER WHEEL instead, which was cool cuz I got to talk to Storaro.)

8) A legend. Two, perhaps three, of the films he shot are some my faves of all-time.
ShaneP wrote:Pokemon? I hadn't thought of them like that but now you mention it…this and the porgs... :lol:

Wish I could take the credit for that joke, but alas, it's from the internet. Someone else made it.

On the topic of the creatures, though, I always love seeing what kinds of critters this franchise has. I rewatched Return of the Jedi the other day and remembered how much I loved the Rancor. Thinking about the CG Tyrannosaurus/Indominus/Spinosaurus work in the JP movies makes me so excited to imagine what they could do with a modern-day animatronic or full CG Rancor.
This might be one of strangest Star Wars promotions I've seen in all my years. I have no idea about shoe designers, shoe fashion,etc. But this is a pretty neat and cool behind the scenes video of this shoe designer's collaboration with ILM and Lucasfilm for The Last Jedi.

Here is a behind the scenes look at their collaboration, featuring the designer Louboutin, Doug Chiang, and longtime vfx artists John Goodson and R. Kim Smith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... SSVSFQbemY