Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By vfx fan
With nominations for their work in:

-DEEPWATER HORIZON
-DOCTOR STRANGE
-ROGUE ONE

This marks the most Oscar nods in one year for ILM since 1992 (1991 movie year), where they had a clean sweep. Just a bit of random trivia.

Oh, and the other two nominees are:

-THE JUNGLE BOOK
-KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS

Most disappointing omissions in this year's Oscars?

-SAUSAGE PARTY not scoring a nod for Best Animated Feature or Best Original Song. Fuck MOANA, she's the ugliest Disney princess to ever grace the screen! And it's from the same two directors who made some of the hottest Disney princesses ever!
-SUICIDE SQUAD getting nominated for Best Makeup over DEADPOOL (I mean there was no chance DEADPOOL would've been nominated in any big category, but no nominations?!)

Welp, I guess the only other thing I can hope for is that none of the winners make a big annoying political anti-Trump acceptance speech...there is a chance...right? :-? :-? :-?
By ShaneP
Hallefrickinglujah Deepwater Horizon was recognized!

Congrats to all of ILM's teams on their 3 films and the vfx teams for The Jungle Book and Kubo and the Two Strings as well.

I'm rooting for Deepwater Horizon but they all had great work.
By aslan
I guess it will be jungle book to win, but at least it's not the slam dunk that would have been Arrival had it received a nom.

Hoping for a surprise ilm win, no preference really, but congrats to all nominees.
By TylerMirage
Could this...could this be a year for an ILM win?!...Probably not, but even if Jungle Book wins, I'm happy. :)

Congrats to all nominess!

vfx fan wrote:-SUICIDE SQUAD getting nominated for Best Makeup over DEADPOOL (I mean there was no chance DEADPOOL would've been nominated in any big category, but no nominations?!)

I dunno, I really don't feel like that's an upset. Whatever your thoughts are on the movie itself, I don't think that ugly avacado burn make-up on Ryan for a handful of brief scenes warranted a nomination when compared to a movie that several key characters featured with a variety of make-up designs.
By vfx fan
Maybe it's because DEADPOOL was a much more memorable movie.

The only thing memorable about SUICIDE SQUAD was Margot Robbie being hot and having an on-and-off Brooklyn accent while trying to be Harley Quinn. Sigh...that movie had reshoots that were just painful to watch.
By TylerMirage
vfx fan wrote:Maybe it's because DEADPOOL was a much more memorable movie.

The only thing memorable about SUICIDE SQUAD was Margot Robbie being hot and having an on-and-off Brooklyn accent while trying to be Harley Quinn. Sigh...that movie had reshoots that were just painful to watch.

Well, mileage may vary on the memorability (memorabilia? rememberocity? memberingness?) of the movies, but I don't believe that wishy-washy accents or reshoots are criteria on the Academy's roster when considering nominess for the make-up category. ;)