Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By PaulILMFan
That's an interesting film the opening sequence at the time was one of the most complex 5,000 flying saucers I think by Warner Digital (what happened to them!). The thing I like about Mars Attacks is the goofy 1950's retro style wrapped around a mega budget & Burtons quirky directing style.
By ShaneP
PaulILMFan wrote:That's an interesting film the opening sequence at the time was one of the most complex 5,000 flying saucers I think by Warner Digital (what happened to them!). The thing I like about Mars Attacks is the goofy 1950's retro style wrapped around a mega budget & Burtons quirky directing style.

Yes Warner Digital did the opening and the ships flying as well as the large sized robots.

The movie also had at least four current ILM vfx supervisors that worked on it: Linda deQuattro worked at Warners, Ben Snow, Roger Guyett, Robert Weaver, all at ILM on the show.

I loved the martian language, the eerie music, and the idea that Slim Whitman's music was their achilles. And the martians just looked so cool. Like little puppets. Plus the movie was shot by frequent Cronenberg collaborator, and DOP of The Empire Strikes Back, Peter Suschitzky. Quite an entertaining movie I've only grown to appreciate more over time.