Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By aslan
That's an unexpected choice. You would think him busy with his roles as tech exec and leading Xlab. Maybe they are incorporating that tech more fully into this production.
By ShaneP
That's what I was wondering. Interesting since he is also the CTO of Lucasfilm. Do you remember the interview Kathy Kennedy gave a year ago where she said a third Anthology film was being considered but they weren't sure if the technology was there yet?

Maybe it was to do with some sort of VR or similar and the xLab's explorations allowed it to be moved up into the Solo project?
By aslan
Yes I saw that Kennedy interview, intriguing. I feel ambivalent about major changes to film viewing formats. I hate 3d so virtual reality doesn't appeal much. I don't really want gimmicks in my star wars. Leave it to transformers.
Hopefully it's just using the process to improve production methodology, real time rendering and the like.
By ShaneP
aslan wrote:Yes I saw that Kennedy interview, intriguing. I feel ambivalent about major changes to film viewing formats. I hate 3d so virtual reality doesn't appeal much. I don't really want gimmicks in my star wars. Leave it to transformers.
Hopefully it's just using the process to improve production methodology, real time rendering and the like.

Yeah I don't have any real experience with VR as a viewing experience so don't have an informed opinion of it. 3D works only for certain films(big spectacles) and certain platforms(like large screen theaters). As you said, VR really stands out beyond its entertainment niche by enabling filmmakers to use it for preproduction and visualization.

It will be interesting to see how Inarittu is using it for his next film he's developing with ILMxLab.