Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

Kmart wrote:Wondering what you mean about LAST JEDI getting stuff wrong VFXwise, cuz it mostly looked very good to me, except for some slightly cartoony fireballs.
Looked very generic to me nothing that the PT did not do way better with flair as well. For example in AOTC the camera zooms in a couple of times in the final battle. Or the Yoda vs Dooku fight some ambitious shots in there as well. Even the final tracking shot of the Dooku shuttle flying over that vast cityscape as he goes to speak to the Emperor contained more scope in it to me than all of TLJ (except for some of the skellig Michael island exteriors).

TLJ to me looked very pedestrian & dated. The Yoda used looked horrifically bad for the budget they had it was wasted AFAIC. I hated the movie more than TFA does not help either but even subjectively without that emotional baggage I could not believe how limited in scope it was VFX design wise.
I think the new Star Wars films have been superior vfx-wise and cinematography-wise than anything in the prequels albeit with one caveat: I really miss the models and miniatures of the older films. But these new films have really pushed CG modeling and sims forward in some really terrific ways. Just my two cents.
The problem with the new films has been story, story, story and I fully expect that to continue with the upcoming Solo movie, which sounds like it might be a real mess. I hope I am wrong.
This movie has been a monster at the worldwide BO. To demonstrate the difference China makes to today's worldwide total combined with a successful NA bow, this film has already passed the $300 million worldwide in its first week. The last Spielberg film to cross that $300 million worldwide was 2011's The Adventures of Tintin, which made $374 million in its entire run.

:eek:

Here is the story:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ce-1100475
It's always fascinating to see where movies make their money. China loves Transformers and Fast & Furious, but Star Wars is a big ol' meh for them.

Like, when I found out that Frozen was Japan's most successful movie in, like, forever...blew my mind.

Glad to see Spielberg get another blockbuster movie. Those dramas just don't pay the bills. ;)
TylerMirage wrote:It's always fascinating to see where movies make their money. China loves Transformers and Fast & Furious, but Star Wars is a big ol' meh for them.

Like, when I found out that Frozen was Japan's most successful movie in, like, forever...blew my mind.

Glad to see Spielberg get another blockbuster movie. Those dramas just don't pay the bills. ;)

Yeah I don't quite understand why Asia is soft for Star Wars.

By the way, Spielberg has also said he is making an adaptation of The Talisman with Stephen King....this is a book he's been trying to adapt in different ways for decades. He tried to make it into a mini series in the early 00s but was unsuccessful.
Also, Tintin sequel is still on the table as is another Indiana Jones after this next one. Now with RP1 a big success I'm sure the pressure will be on for him to do another one. He really should let someone else do it. Just produce it. He already has a very full directing plate with West Side Story and Indy 5 up next along with his numerous producing gigs.
Grady Cofer and Roger Guyett talk to Vincent Frei at ArtofVfx about ILM's work on Ready Player One.

http://www.artofvfx.com/ready-player-on ... ght-magic/

ILM did a total of 900 shots, with most of the work done at their London and Singapore studios.

Grady Cofer was on the show for 3 years and Guyett, 2 years.

The Shining sequence was created at Singapore supervised by Dave Dally.
Only 900 shots? they seemed 3000!
Btw, stunning enviroment work , the avatars are stylized , but the performance capture is perfect. Loved the design of Sorrento's Henchman, it looks like a carachter from "The Masters of the Universe" toy line, wich i loved as a kid:) .
Last edited by ninja turtle on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninja turtle wrote:Only 900 shots? they seemed 3000!
Btw, stunning enviroment work , the avatars are stylized , but the performance capture is perfect. Loved the design of Sorrento's Henchman, it looks like a carachter from "The Maters of the Universe" toy line, wich i loved as a kid:) .

Well ILM did the Oasis part of the movie, which constitutes the 900 shots while DD did the "real world" portion of the film. I'm their shot count is high too.
Barbara Robertson at AWN talks to Guyett about the challenges of the film:

https://www.awn.com/vfxworld/inside-oas ... player-one

and Ian at Cartoon Brew talks to ILM Singapore's animation supervisor Kim Ooi about the challenge translating mo cap and previz into final animation:

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/vfx/how-rea ... 57821.html
Decided to see this last week. Didn't blow me away as a movie or as a VFX reel. I never read the book that it was based on, so I didn't go in with a certain set of expectations, it just...didn't wow me.

Impressive work, don't get me wrong. And the deliberately "not 100% photoreal" aesthetic in the OASIS is still really good work. The designs of original characters were cool, the cameos were appreciated because they weren't just "hey guise remember THE DELOREAN?", but instead seemed to just be incidental (outside of Iron Giant, Gundam and MechaGodzilla*) and not in-your-face. Plus, who wouldn't love a triple-team fight of Iron Giant and Gundam vs. MechaGodzilla? The only way they could've made it better (for me) would've been to include Bayformers Bumblebee for maximum movie mech mayhem. (I'm actually really surprised that they didn't include any Bay Transformers or even G1 characters)

It just overall didn't click with me besides those things. But hey, it still got my movie theatre money. And it got my money for the "Art and Making Of" book. And it'll probably get my Blu-Ray money (depending on what kind of bonus features it comes with). :oops:

*Also, mad ups for using Ifukube's original Godzilla theme. I definitely fist-pumped the air when the happened. :D
TylerMirage wrote: And it got my money for the "Art and Making Of" book. And it'll probably get my Blu-Ray money (depending on what kind of bonus features it comes with). :oops:

*Also, mad ups for using Ifukube's original Godzilla theme. I definitely fist-pumped the air when the happened. :D

How are those Art of and Making of books for this? I wont go for them unless there is vfx coverage in them. They do that all the time though. Not including vfx coverage for films like this in books today is like missing at least half of the story.