Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

Yes amazon still lists it as coming in October(I think it is). I have mine reserved as well in the vain hope Rinzler is just mistaken and it pops up in my mailbox one afternoon. :)

I've read it might have to do with potential spoilers for the future sequels in the manuscript for the book and they're waiting until the trilogy is done.

Not sure what's going on.
Upping this topic after forever, but there is an interview with JW Rinzler about his work on the Making of TFA book co-authored by Mark Cotta Vaz that never happened. Bit of a Trek tie-in book too that never happened.

https://www.herocollector.com/en-us/Art ... e-in-books

Here is an excerpt:

Star Wars fans got a taste of this when the book on the Making of the Force Awakens never came out. The book was written by J.W. Rinzler and Mark Cotta Vaz and was supposed to come out in October 2016. The Amazon listing promised “exclusive reflections from George Lucas, Kathleen Kennedy, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher...this authorised, all-access book... will be an indispensable work for all movie fans”. Which begs the question: if this was fully authorised, what happened to it?

“There was no chance that book was going to be published,” Rinzler tells us. He joined Lucasfilm on October 1, 2001, mid-way through production of Attack of the Clones. He remained there, writing some reference books – including the comprehensive ‘making-of’ books about the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones films – and editing others, until after the sale of the company. “I knew when I started writing it that it would be cancelled... there were a lot of things that were known to the public that I think Disney and Kathleen Kennedy just didn't want to rehash. This is just speculation on my part, but even stuff like changing the date of the release, that Brad Bird was approached first, that Harrison Ford was almost killed… they were not comfortable with the book rehashing those issues.”

He goes on to say that Disney/Lucasfilm are sitting on a ton of Indian Jones archival material and he unsuccessfully pushed Lucasfilm to publish a book covering some of it.

Very unfortunate to read that they dont desire to cover things from the past either. This bolsters claims something a few years ago about JJ and Lucasfilm not wanting to cover some of the more difficult situations behind the scenes on the film.
I've read the Piller manuscript and it really does indicate that Patrick Stewart's input (coupled with what producer Rick Berman wrongly anticipated would be Stewart's response) did a lot to sink INSURRECTION.

It wasn't very critical of anyone, but I guess in the age of offend nobody, it was not going to fly. I mean, look at RETURN TO TOMORROW, over 35 years after TMP came out and he still couldn't get Par to provide images w/o cutting the manuscript to suit them, which he wouldn't do. And RtT wasn't a muckraking book, just honest.
I've read the Piller manuscript and it really does indicate that Patrick Stewart's input (coupled with what producer Rick Berman wrongly anticipated would be Stewart's response) did a lot to sink INSURRECTION.

It wasn't very critical of anyone, but I guess in the age of offend nobody, it was not going to fly. I mean, look at RETURN TO TOMORROW, over 35 years after TMP came out and he still couldn't get Par to provide images w/o cutting the manuscript to suit them, which he wouldn't do. And RtT wasn't a muckraking book, just honest.
One thing corporations seem to avoid these days is any little criticism, even constructive or enlightening. It's as if they feel that there isn't a market for people to read about how difficult films are to make.

The Rinzler bit even point out how Lucasfilm and JJ didn't want to talk about Harrison's injury on the set of TFA or the difficult writing process behind the film or anything interesting at all. I guess they would rather have video interviews with gauzy, hazy footage of all the crews talking about how wonderful everything is.

Even vfx interviews now are so damn canned it's very disappointing. I can figure out most of the answers before I even read them. "Working with this director was great!" or "The 10 weeks we had to create 500 shots while working around the clock was fantastic!" Come on!

So much in our culture now has to, must be, affirmational. It cannot be difficult or display any adversity, challenges, or difficulties.

I'm going to buy that Trek book. Frankly, I would rather read a candid discussion about the making of a film than a book full of great pictures but a muddling narrative.

edit: Ordered RTT from the publisher, Creature Features(hehe!) Should be here next week.

Lucasfilm, please listen to your fans. There is a market for these kind of books.
Just so you know, there ARE some errors in RtT, but most of them are by the interviewees misremembering stuff, confusing Bill Norton with Steve Bochco, that kind of thing. Considering the volume of info presented, it still seems amazing to me. I'd have probably edited down 50 pages of redundancy, but really it does answer a lot of questions (though not all.)
Just so you know, there ARE some errors in RtT, but most of them are by the interviewees misremembering stuff, confusing Bill Norton with Steve Bochco, that kind of thing. Considering the volume of info presented, it still seems amazing to me. I'd have probably edited down 50 pages of redundancy, but really it does answer a lot of questions (though not all.)
Oh, errors are fine. That happens with primary sources, especially if they are recalling things. But.....Steve Bochco? The Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue guy? What? Was he involved in TMP's development or was it Bill Norton?