Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

ShaneP wrote:The film broke opening day records in China:

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office ... 201791346/

It's not an North American centric box office world anymore ladies and gents.

Honestly, it's been an international box office-centric world for the past few years. With a few exceptions, the last several years have been (relatively) wimpy for domestic box office returns. 2014 in particular was pretty pathetic. But overseas? Most movies are making mad bank over there, moreso than in the past.

As for Warcraft, with any luck the international box office will off-set a potential bombing in North America.
Indeed it has been shifting for some time towards the Pacific Rim and global takes. A case in point is Pacific Rim 2. :p It was greenlit it seems because China and other overseas markets saved it and helped make it profitable. Transformers are other films that have done big overseas. TMNT 2 was also possible due to the success overseas.
But Warcraft needs mentioning because, as you pointed out, the NA BO success is far from assured yet it might not be the sole reason for judging its success in the end. We will have to see what happens here in NA and internationally.
ShaneP wrote:Indeed it has been shifting for some time towards the Pacific Rim and global takes. A case in point is Pacific Rim 2. :p

I'm man enough to admit that I had to read this a few times before it clicked. :D

ShaneP wrote:Indeed it has been shifting for some time towards the Pacific Rim and global takes. A case in point is Pacific Rim 2. :p It was greenlit it seems because China and other overseas markets saved it and helped make it profitable. Transformers are other films that have done big overseas. TMNT 2 was also possible due to the success overseas.
But Warcraft needs mentioning because, as you pointed out, the NA BO success is far from assured yet it might not be the sole reason for judging its success in the end. We will have to see what happens here in NA and internationally.

To be fair, the first TMNT was no slouch. $125 million budget and it made ~$191 million domestically and $300 internationally. Basically a success on all counts individually: domestic, international and combined. Not record-breaking, but enough all-around to make them greenlight a sequel. Pacific Rim was a bit of a different story. That was legitimatelly a case where international box office saved it ($190 million budget but only $102 million domestically [which is a crime]).

Even just in general there's been a major shift in the spread between domestic/international box office. The lion's share of movies pre-2007 were usually split 50/50 between domestic/international. Transformers 1 was 45/55. Transformers 2 was 48/52. Then suddenly Transformers 3 came along and made major bank internationally to make it 31/69 and then #4 followed suit with 22/87, yet each movie making more and more money as they're pumped out, despite the difference in domestic vs. overseas! :eek2: But you've also got franchises like Hobbit, Mission Impossible, James Bond, Fast & Furious, Ice Age, the latest Marvel movies, etc. where you're seeing similar results. Major bank overseas. Not that they're necessarily less successful domestically, it's just that suddenly international box office is expanding exponentially. That's just where the money is these days. I'm not sure if it has to do with the ubiquitous nature of streaming shows, Netflix, iTunes, On Demand, etc., but North America is just kind of steadily dropping.

At this point with Warcraft, it'll at least be considered a "success" internationally. No doubt about that. $170 million in, like, a week?

Plus, so much of this depends on what greedy studios view as "success". Consider that Batman v Superman's "pitiful" $872 million failed to meet their $1 billion expectations. :roll:

(thanks to Box Office Mojo for making me look smart)
Even just in general there's been a major shift in the spread between domestic/international box office. The lion's share of movies pre-2007 were usually split 50/50 between domestic/international. Transformers 1 was 45/55. Transformers 2 was 48/52. Then suddenly Transformers 3 came along and made major bank internationally to make it 31/69 and then #4 followed suit with 22/87, yet each movie making more and more money as they're pumped out, despite the difference in domestic vs. overseas! :eek2: But you've also got franchises like Hobbit, Mission Impossible, James Bond, Fast & Furious, Ice Age, the latest Marvel movies, etc. where you're seeing similar results. Major bank overseas. Not that they're necessarily less successful domestically, it's just that suddenly international box office is expanding exponentially. That's just where the money is these days. I'm not sure if it has to do with the ubiquitous nature of streaming shows, Netflix, iTunes, On Demand, etc., but North America is just kind of steadily dropping.

At this point with Warcraft, it'll at least be considered a "success" internationally. No doubt about that. $170 million in, like, a week?

Only issue with measuring int'l gross is that the studio/production company nets much less than they do in NA. its about a 50% return domestic, with anywhere between 15%-40% internationally. China is about a 25% net, if I recall. If they even get the money (China has a habit of taking years to get studios their cut.
So, I saw the movie last night. And my God, this was a horrible movie. I was shocked by how bad it was with a director like Duncan Jones. Sure, fans seemed to love the movie, but that's because they understand the backstory. This works for WOW fans, not for moviegoers. To me, the movie sure did seem like a fan fiction story for those who already understand the lore.

It also seemed like it was meant to be a three-hour movie but the studio demanded it to be trimmed down to less than two. Perhaps with a director's cut, the movie may be better, though still not good, as part of the problem is that all the characters looked the same, and had some of the most forgettable goofy fantasy names. I did not give a shit about the characters and I did not even give a shit about what was going on. If this movie was truly Blizzard's strategy to get more people interested in their already immensely popular MMORPG, then they have failed miserably; I threw out the free subscription card I got with my 3D glasses as soon as I walked out of the theater.

And now we bring ourselves to the less unsuccessful aspects of the film. Whoever said how shitty the fx were (with the exception of a couple of shots and characters), what the fuck are you smoking? I thought the orcs were amazing. I was mesmerized at how realistic and detailed they were, and how seamless they looked in their environment. The only exception for me was the evil life-sucking king orc...sometimes he looked too CG. But the Cinema Snob (Brad Jones) was comparing the orcs to the Scorpion King in THE MUMMY RETURNS in his Midnight Screening show, and while I generally like the Cinema Snob and agree with him most of the time...WTF?!? I mean, I know he didn't like the movie, just as I didn't, but come on!!!

But it's a shame that such wondrous animated characters had to share the screen with the rest of this elitist mess. And it's a shame, too, as I really did think that, even with the lame trailers, that this was the movie that would break the video game movie curse. And truly, the fx are worthy of a vfx Oscar, but since they were the only redeeming quality, it seems less and less likely to happen.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-o ... 201793569/

This movie is outpacing Furious 7's record setting foreign film for China as it has already made $145 million in four days. Might not seem like much but this is faster than Furious 7 took and it ended up with $390 million in China.

The film in the U.S. looks on track for a very low $27 million but we will see what the actuals are. It's opening in several other countries this weekend too.
Jedi wrote:Only issue with measuring int'l gross is that the studio/production company nets much less than they do in NA. its about a 50% return domestic, with anywhere between 15%-40% internationally. China is about a 25% net, if I recall. If they even get the money (China has a habit of taking years to get studios their cut.

Is that how it breaks down? That's pretty interesting info. Goes to show why they're trying to get more business out of international markets.

ShaneP wrote:http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-warcraft-china-1201793569/

This movie is outpacing Furious 7's record setting foreign film for China as it has already made $145 million in four days. Might not seem like much but this is faster than Furious 7 took and it ended up with $390 million in China.

The film in the U.S. looks on track for a very low $27 million but we will see what the actuals are. It's opening in several other countries this weekend too.

Yeah, this movie is crazy overseas. Shockingly so.

If I had to predict what this movie will be like at the end of its theatrical run, I'd say it'll be lucky to get $100 million domestically, but just utterly smash through $500 million internationally, ha ha.
TylerMirage wrote:
Jedi wrote:Only issue with measuring int'l gross is that the studio/production company nets much less than they do in NA. its about a 50% return domestic, with anywhere between 15%-40% internationally. China is about a 25% net, if I recall. If they even get the money (China has a habit of taking years to get studios their cut.

Is that how it breaks down? That's pretty interesting info. Goes to show why they're trying to get more business out of international markets.

I phrased that weirdly - I should have said that the studios get 25%, Chinese government/theater chain keeps the rest. Studios get more money from domestic gross, not international.

Either that, or I'm reading your response oddly. Didn't get much sleep last night, brain isn't working....
ShaneP wrote:How will that all break down with this film though since Legacy is now owned by Wanda? Wouldn't that make China the domestic market for this film?

Pretty sure that it still works like a US film in China - the US domestic split is a deal with the studios and the theater group, NATO. Would imagine it's the same in China, except replace NATO with Chinese government. I am no expert though, so I could be wrong.