Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

I get to go first! Yippie!!!

So anyway, I got back from TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: OUT OF THE SHADOWS yesterday, and in general, it's an improvement over the first film in nearly every way. While with the first film, the filmmakers weren't sure what direction to take it in, this sequel has much more focus. It sets out to be a live-action Saturday morning cartoon, and no movie in recent memory has come this close to replicating that feeling. It was dumb, colorful, and fun, with none of the awkward attempted realism of the first one. It really does seem like it was written by an imaginative child playing with his toys, for better or for worse.

While by no means a good movie, the movie gives its all in being probably the best TURTLES movie we're likely ever going to get in this day and age. Yes, it has Michael Bay's fingerprints on it again, but it doesn't feel as if the director is trying too hard to replicate his style with the distinctive camera movements and such.

Much of the problem, however, is in the climax, which feels overstuffed, and the film simply has way too many major villains (I counted at least 5 or 6). And despite Krang having about 5 minutes of screen time, he too is treated as one of the main villains. I think it would've been better with just Bebop and Rocksteady, with Krang perhaps making a post-credits cameo to set up the next sequel.

As far as fx work goes, the turtles look downright amazing this time around, totally blending in with the live action environment. Bebop and Rocksteady are mostly on the same level as the turtles, but Krang on the other hand...what the hell happened? I mean, it's not that he's poorly rendered, it's just that every scene he's in is overstuffed with other CG elements. And there are a lot of other excessive uses of CGI in the movie, such as a CG pizza on the bottom of a basketball player's shoe. To be honest, it looked cheaper than an actual pizza in New York.

Overall, I found the movie mildly entertaining. It doesn't set out to be anything more than it is, and it doesn't look to take comic book adaptations to a higher level, something I truly appreciated about it.
I get to go first! Yippie!!!

So anyway, I got back from TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: OUT OF THE SHADOWS yesterday, and in general, it's an improvement over the first film in nearly every way. While with the first film, the filmmakers weren't sure what direction to take it in, this sequel has much more focus. It sets out to be a live-action Saturday morning cartoon, and no movie in recent memory has come this close to replicating that feeling. It was dumb, colorful, and fun, with none of the awkward attempted realism of the first one. It really does seem like it was written by an imaginative child playing with his toys, for better or for worse.

Overall, I found the movie mildly entertaining. It doesn't set out to be anything more than it is, and it doesn't look to take comic book adaptations to a higher level, something I truly appreciated about it.
Pretty much exactly my thoughts on it. Only I found it extremely entertaining. It was exactly what it needed to be, nothing more and nothing less. It's big, dumb, loud, dumb, colourful, over-the-top and fun. And dumb. And I loved every second of it.

Bebop & Rocksteady stole the show for me. For being a comedic actor and a wrestler/CG pig and CG rhino, they had...surprisingly great chemistry together. Made them genuinely enjoyable to watch.
As far as fx work goes, the turtles look downright amazing this time around, totally blending in with the live action environment. Bebop and Rocksteady are mostly on the same level as the turtles, but Krang on the other hand...what the hell happened? I mean, it's not that he's poorly rendered, it's just that every scene he's in is overstuffed with other CG elements. And there are a lot of other excessive uses of CGI in the movie, such as a CG pizza on the bottom of a basketball player's shoe. To be honest, it looked cheaper than an actual pizza in New York.
Again, agreed. Turtles were spectacular this time around, even better than last time. I can't remember if it was in another thread here that somebody mentioned this (so forgive me if I'm stealing your lines), but what the artists did with the faces - and especially eyes - of the turtles made a world of difference. We get A LOT of good close-ups of their faces, and their eyes are brighter coloured and in general have more key light on their faces so that you can see more detail. Plus, we get more scenes of them in the daylight, which is always a plus.

Bebop and Rocksteady are perfect examples of where the trailer footage was so far off from the final product. People were looking at the trailers and saying that Bebop and Rocksteady looked like they were ripped from video games (which was hard to deny), but they looked ten times better in the final film, even if they still weren't up-to-snuff with ILM's Hulk or Warcraft creatures.

As for Krang, I personally felt that the problem wasn't so much having a busy frame with lots of elements, but that he was constantly moving around, jerking in and out close-ups vs. medium close-ups. Very frenetic character, and thus the animation had to reflect that. He was just a little too ADHD, so it was hard to get a beat on him, if that makes sense.

What other examples of "excessive CGI" did you find, vfx fan? The pizza is a good example, but there was also so much practical work and work that necessitated being CGI that I really can't think of any off the top of my head.