Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By TylerMirage
The noms are in! Congrats to all involved! :thumbup:

Ex Machina - Andrew Whitehurst, Paul Norris, Mark Ardington and Sara Bennett
Mad Max: Fury Road - Andrew Jackson, Tom Wood, Dan Oliver and Andy Williams
The Martian - Richard Stammers, Anders Langlands, Chris Lawrence and Steven Warner
The Revenant - Rich McBride, Matthew Shumway, Jason Smith and Cameron Waldbauer
Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan and Chris Corbould

Wow, I am both pleasantly and unpleastantly surprised. I was only 2/5 (Star Wars and Revenant were the only guesses of mine to actually make it). I don't think I've ever been lower than 3/5 for my guesses for nominees.

Martian and Mad Max are the ones that surprise me, as well as the absence of Tomorrowland and either JW or Age of Ultron as the other token "big budget balls out robot/dinosaur/explosion"-option. Not often that majority of the nominees are the "supporting" VFX kind of work.
And Ex Machina wins it! Congrats to those involved!

Definitely did not see that win coming. I loved the movie, but *picks up shield* I didn't really think it brought anything new (VFX-wise) to the table that Artificial Intelligence didn't do 15 years ago. :e_confused:
I know I'm late to the party, but I only just watched the full Oscars yesterday, because we had them PVR'd.

Anyone else notice that Andy Serkis was introduced as "Actor and Performance-Capture Artist"? I was unaware that being a mo-cap actor warranted distinction between being a "normal" actor. I didn't recall Leo being introduced as "Actor and Humanitarian" or JK Simmons as "Actor and Voice-Actor" or Patricia Arquette as "Film Actress and Television Actress"...

Is my bitterness to Andy's attitude regarding mo-cap showing? :P
By The Cynic
I loved EX MACHINA, it's my favorite among the nominees, but based on the actual Oscar odds that were given the fact it won makes it one of the biggest upsets in the history of the Oscars..Surprised this was rather downplayed in the media...

I've been chirping for years about how the Oscar voting differs from the VES and this year is no different. I find it strange that the VES did not nominate EX MACHINA for a single award yet it won the Oscar. I truly love the film and the effects work but I think the fact it won is a head-scratcher to me. I would really like to see the voting breakdown...
By ninja turtle
I loved EX MACHINA, it's my favorite among the nominees, but based on the actual Oscar odds that were given the fact it won makes it one of the biggest upsets in the history of the Oscars..Surprised this was rather downplayed in the media...

I've been chirping for years about how the Oscar voting differs from the VES and this year is no different. I find it strange that the VES did not nominate EX MACHINA for a single award yet it won the Oscar. I truly love the film and the effects work but I think the fact it won is a head-scratcher to me. I would really like to see the voting breakdown...
It's a totally ludicrous winning, i agree with you. In my opinion they wanted to give the award to a woman( one of the vfx supervisors of the film). Tomorrowland, to make an example, has much better and more interesting vfx than EX-Machina , and it wasn't even nominated. It's ok to recognize vfx that serve the narrative, it's ok the political correctness(well, not so much), but you can't completely ignore the technical and artistic merits.
By ShaneP
I will go out on a limb here(please don't saw it off behind me :P):

I think they gave the film the Oscar because most of the Academy is made up of actors and the bulk of the vfx work,brilliantly done as they were, was centered on a fellow thespian(Vikander).

It would be interesting to see the voting breakdown.

The film and vfx were terrific. Said so early on in this forum here(maybe in the General Movie thread?).

Ex Machina wasn't my first pick…..or second…..or third.

Whenever I go down the list of Osacr or BAFTA winners there's is inevitably one every so many years where I think "what the hell?" The BAFTAs got it right this year but the Oscars…ehh not really.

And a film like The Revenant was underserved by the filmmakers and the studio by concealing the vfx work to the point of absurdity. Seriously, it was borderline offensive at times how much they didn't allow to be said or attempted to conceal and downplay. There were two glaring examples of that type of treatment by the filmmakers: The Revenant and Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. The latter's failure to allow even an Cinefex article BTS vfx pictures was the worse offender of all.
By The Cynic
Just watched SPECTRE on Blu-ray and they have a feature on the opening sequence of the film. Visual effects and ILM are not mentioned once...
Just watched SPECTRE on Blu-ray and they have a feature on the opening sequence of the film. Visual effects and ILM are not mentioned once...
What. The Heck.

But I bet they had lots of interviews of that Daniel guy. As if anyone wants to hear from him. ;)