Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By ShaneP
Just got back from this.

Amazing cinematography. The vfx were flawless I suppose because I didn't really notice any.

Loved how the filmmakers made the cold resonate on film. You could feel the winter in this movie.

Acting was terrific.

Was Tom Hardy and Domnhall Gleeson in every big movie this year? Dang.

Grade: A
By ShaneP
They were great. No complaints. That bison herd also comes at a crucial point in the story too.

I also assumed the wolves were CG too but the credits mentioned trainers and suppliers so I guess not.

There were also elk and a moose that I'm guessing(but not exactly sure) were CG also.

But they were all either shot in a way that wasn't excessive or showing off but just as a part of the wild environment.
By aslan
Thanks Shane. Glad you liked it. Trust your opinions and very much looking forward to seeing it.
By ShaneP
The wolves thing was weird because I was sure they had to be CG but, again, they mentioned wolf trainers and suppliers in the film. When you see the film you will maybe understand why I thought they had to be CG. They are asked to do something that I was just sure trained animals couldn't do.

I did have one nitpick: the shot of the horse and Glass flying over the cliff(the one in the trailers). It did look a bit off. Not terrible or awful. But just a bit off.

Forgot to mention they shot this in Montana, California, Alberta and Argentina.

It has to be the most beautifully shot wilderness film in years, if not ever. It has everything: blizzards, thunderstorms,aurora borealis, avalanches, etc. Oscar material quality.

I also hope the vfx is recognized come VES awards time. Deserving.

The ILM crew was pretty big. MPC, Cinesite, Image Engine, and others were also involved.
By TylerMirage
I've only heard good things about this. I think what I'm most anticipating is when both the bear and Leo are in the running for the Oscar, and the bear wins it.
YEAH! Represent! :D
By ShaneP
I've only heard good things about this. I think what I'm most anticipating is when both the bear and Leo are in the running for the Oscar, and the bear wins it.
YEAH! Represent! :D
Well, the Canadian rockies, especially in the Banff area, are unlike the American rockies so I'm thinking they wanted that more exotic look your rockies have than ours. And they succeeded.

It's really a damn good film. The bear attack is amazing and Leo did a great job selling it. Great work by ILM too. ILM's work on the attack should be represented at the VES. It's that good.
By The Cynic
I'm lucky enough to be a SAG-AFTRA member so I got a digital screener for the SAG Awards. I hate watching anything other than YouTube vids on my computer so I linked my pc to my tv. Unfortunately the image quality suffered a bit, but I absolutely agree with Shane that the cinematography was absolutely beautiful and the effects were flawless. I love how they are trying to keep the public guessing how they did the bear attack when the film has already been nominated for an Annie Award..
By TylerMirage
Well, the Canadian rockies, especially in the Banff area, are unlike the American rockies so I'm thinking they wanted that more exotic look your rockies have than ours. And they succeeded.
Ha ha, believe me, as an Albertan, I know. ;)
By ShaneP
Yeah I love that whole area from Montana's Glacier and Waterton all the way up to Banff and Jasper.

Awesome wilderness.
Well, I saw the movie, and yes, this is the kind of movie Oscar voters love: heavy-handed symbolism and art house shots of the sun behind the trees, and awkward or even downright goofy dream sequences of lost loves.

The bear attack was nothing short of amazing, though the shot (maybe two shots) of the wolves attacking the elk, not so much.

What else did ILM do beside the bear attack? Anyone know? Did they do any environment work or was that all MPC and Cinesite?

One thing I can't grasp is, although I loved the simplistic ambient music score, why were there two composers and countless more in the orchestra crew? It was the kind of music a kid could compose on a music keyboard without writing anything down.

Also saw 13 Hours today. More on that later...
I liked The Revenant , but i can see why some people don't and consider it only a collection of beautiful images. Di Caprio is good, but it is not his best performance( he was better in "Wolf of Wall Street", imho). Tom Hardy steals the show.

The bear is an amazing cg creation, the best creature work ILM has done in years. Maybe the best fur rendering ever? I'd like to know your opinions:). Nomination very well deserved, but the effects are sparse, so i don't think it will win.
I agree Ninja. The bear is amazingly real and right there. I was looking intently for anything that might give the game away and saw nothing. When the others roll the bear off him I wonder if that was cg too? It matches the fur rendering of the orangutan from dawn of apes, but does not exceed it in my opinion. Nothing wrong with total belivability though in either case.

If the large boars roaming through the village are cg I will be amazed again.
I liked The Revenant , but i can see why some people don't and consider it only a collection of beautiful images. Di Caprio is good, but it is not his best performance( he was better in "Wolf of Wall Street", imho). Tom Hardy steals the show.

The bear is an amazing cg creation, the best creature work ILM has done in years. Maybe the best fur rendering ever? I'd like to know your opinions:). Nomination very well deserved, but the effects are sparse, so i don't think it will win.
I agree with you about Tom Hardy. This is his best role yet in my opinion.

In the case of the vfx nomination, that is a win at some level already. Just that is was able to pull that off is credit to the artists and the companies and studio for pushing it.

Well deserved. But I too would be shocked if it won. I'm betting it is Mad Max that wins. I give it an edge over Episode 7.
Let me quote something:
"Alejandro González Iñárritu may want audiences to believe that the stunning visuals for 20th Century Fox’s The Revenant were captured entirely in-camera,..."
source: http://www.awn.com/news/cinesite-delive ... s-revenant

"Computer-generated imagery is part of the bear's story, which Shumway declined to fully divulge because of Iñárritu's wishes."
source: http://www.indystar.com/story/entertain ... /78606964/

Isn't Inarritus approach hypocritical? I mean using modern techniques but not wanting the audience to know as if cg is bad per se which a lot of people think.

First Mad Max and The Force Awakens "all practical approach" in their marketing, now Inarritu withholding the use of cgi in his latest film.
I wonder when the vfx industry will do something against it, 'cause I assume as an vfx artist this has to be frustrating and annoying., being the scapegoat when it comes to a film being bad, but not getting the respect when it's due.

This is a trend I hope will soon be over!

What's your opinion on that?
Let me quote something:
"Alejandro González Iñárritu may want audiences to believe that the stunning visuals for 20th Century Fox’s The Revenant were captured entirely in-camera,..."
source: http://www.awn.com/news/cinesite-delive ... s-revenant

"Computer-generated imagery is part of the bear's story, which Shumway declined to fully divulge because of Iñárritu's wishes."
source: http://www.indystar.com/story/entertain ... /78606964/

Isn't Inarritus approach hypocritical? I mean using modern techniques but not wanting the audience to know as if cg is bad per se which a lot of people think.

First Mad Max and The Force Awakens "all practical approach" in their marketing, now Inarritu withholding the use of cgi in his latest film.
I wonder when the vfx industry will do something against it, 'cause I assume as an vfx artist this has to be frustrating and annoying., being the scapegoat when it comes to a film being bad, but not getting the respect when it's due.

This is a trend I hope will soon be over!

What's your opinion on that?
My opinion is that until the vfx industry pulls their collective heads out and unionizes and gains the leverage that comes with it, it will not push back against these wishes by filmmakers and film studios.
The film studios hold all of the cards and the vfx industry seems uninterested in behaving like a mature industry with universally accepted standards and practices.
It will not change for the foreseeable future.