Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By ShaneP
Barbara Robertson at Studio Daily talks to Rob Bredow about Solo, the Oscar nomination for the film, and now being head of ILM:

http://www.studiodaily.com/2019/02/osca ... ars-story/

He and his family moved to London for a year while they shot the film and his oldest daughter missed and entire year of high school! :eek: Talk about dedication!(by the way, that would have been a dream of mine when I was in high school. Parent gets a SW gig and being able to miss school because of it).
Finally got around to seeing it. I have no horse in the Star Wars race; I don't care about Disney and/or Rian Johnson and/or Kathleen "ruining" the franchise or not.

Alden was absolutely perfect as a young Han Solo. Was he 100% physically identical to Harrison? No, of course not. And he doesn't need to be. His attitude, swagger, speech pattern was more than enough.

And FX-wise, very impressed. Probably the most impressed I've been of this new batch of Star Wars movies.
I love the different things that Bredow did for the film. The vfx appear absolutely integrated throughout. And that explosion when they drop that fuel cargo in the mountains(based on plates and still shot in the Dolomites)? That's actual underwater pyro. Well deserved Oscar nominated film.
I love the different things that Bredow did for the film. The vfx appear absolutely integrated throughout. And that explosion when they drop that fuel cargo in the mountains(based on plates and still shot in the Dolomites)? That's actual underwater pyro. Well deserved Oscar nominated film.
I saw that BTS for that on the Blu-Ray. It's crazy how the industry can not only think of doing something like that to achieve a certain effect, but actually go through with it. :lol: Even if it's then enhanced and altered so much (because, duh, they can't just use an unedited underwater fishtank explosion), it's still cool that they use that as a base.
I saw that BTS for that on the Blu-Ray. It's crazy how the industry can not only think of doing something like that to achieve a certain effect, but actually go through with it. :lol: Even if it's then enhanced and altered so much (because, duh, they can't just use an unedited underwater fishtank explosion), it's still cool that they use that as a base.
Are you sure? I swore I saw a flying guppy in there.