Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By aslan
...and most likely most other vfx awards for this year.

There is no need to list the reasons why, they are pretty self evident.

I obviously wanted a SW win but it's not going to happen. Every year there is that one stand out film that does something unique or beautiful to separate it from the crowd, and it doesn't hurt that they are academy bait prestige pictures either. And Hugo* aside, they have all been deserving winners. The problem is that ILM aren't getting them :(

* Can I just state again, for the record, how much I fucking LOATHE Hugo. I hate it with the burning inferno of an exploding star. It is shit and I will bear no good word said in it's favour. It has not one redeeming feature. Transformers 2 is a better film. So there.
By ShaneP
Well you can't just walk in, especially after article after article just yesterday stating that ILM will win for TFA posits the opposite outcome, and not give your reasons why it will win. Self-evident is not enough.

Give your reasons.

Are you saying The Walk is vfx Oscar bait?

I've heard very good things about the last half hour. Atomic Fiction :thumb up:

Here's one of these posts I mentioned. I honestly don't know why this is coming up now. It's only September. Is it boredom for these bloggers? I don't know.

http://www.awardsdaily.com/blog/2015/09 ... -showdown/
By The Cynic
See MAN ON WIRE, the Oscar-winning documentary on Phillipe Petit's Twin Towers highwire feat before THE WALK. Very entertaining..

Re:HUGO.. I think a wonderfully crafted film honoring George Melies (who basically invented visual effects for film) directed by Scorsese has many redeeming qualities..To each his own..
By aslan
Well that told me :D

Yes I feel it's oscar bait in the manner of a Gravity, artistic and well told, using vfx for a specific attention grabing purpose, whilst completely essential to the story.

The vfx work has tremendous quality to it, and combined with the 3d it offers that must see experience.

It is an amazing recreation of the world trade center, which justifiably carries enormous emotional resonance, which will be the thing that tips it towards academy voters.

I dont think any of this is a bad thing by the way. Except for Hugo.

Yeah, atomic fiction are a fave of mine too.
By ShaneP
See MAN ON WIRE, the Oscar-winning documentary on Phillipe Petit's Twin Towers highwire feat before THE WALK. Very entertaining..

Re:HUGO.. I think a wonderfully crafted film honoring George Melies (who basically invented visual effects for film) directed by Scorsese has many redeeming qualities..To each his own..

That's a great doc. Petit is nuts.

aslan, that is fair. You think it is a well made film all around and not a vfx spectacle. The former are the kinds of films that should win vfx Oscars, IMHO. But, I understand the WOW factor too. I live both.

Rodeo Fx deserves props for their work in the film as apparently it is exceptional. I know now why ILM uses them as vendors. Run by ILM alum too.
By ninja turtle
I hope that the bake-off voters won't forget the amazingly photorealistic work in "Humanandroid", in favor of more over-hyped movies.

This is my final 5 list for the Oscar:

1)Star Wars-The Force Awakens

2)Avengers:Age of Ultron

3)Tomorrowland

4) Mad Max: Fury Road( i don't think it deserves a spot, but it is so over-hyped...)

5)Humanandroid

While i love the work ILM did in "Jurassic World, i'm pretty sure the Academy members will consider dinosaurs a "been there, done that" thing in Vfx field. The Revenant , The Martian or The Walk has chances too, of course, but i didn't see them, so i can't say anything bad or good about them.
By vfx fan
I actually think FURIOUS 7 has a pretty good shot, too. Weta's CG Paul Walker was quite seamless in most shots. And the fact that these particular fx were used in a subtle way out of necessity to complete the story could work in its favor.
By ShaneP
Furious 7 is also popular too. I think what could tip any of these films is nominations in multiple technical categories as well as a Best Picture nomination.
By ShaneP
So it appears the Walk is a flop?

Maybe it won't even get a nomination?

Maybe I'm a big mouthed moron who is constantly wrong?
It flopped? It could still snag a nomination. We would have to consult Dr. Todd and his Predictinator for the odds.
By Mr.VFX
I had the chance to interview Zemeckis and Gordon-Levitt in Berlin.
I talked about the movie in general but also about visual effects.
My part is in german, but the interviews are english:
https://youtu.be/H9JqGLyscO4

Here my opinion about THE WALK and the VFX-Oscar:
I think it deserves a nomination. I don't think it will win.
By ShaneP
I hope that the bake-off voters won't forget the amazingly photorealistic work in "Humanandroid", in favor of more over-hyped movies.

5)Humanandroid
What is this movie?
By ninja turtle
I was referring to the last Neil Blomkamp's movie, Chappie. They chanched the title in "Human-android" but maybe in some countries is still called "Chappie"? I Don't know. BTW, the movie itself is not completeley successful, but the vfx are seamless. The title carachter,a robot called Chappie, is one of the most photorealistic cg work i have seen recently. The movie bombed at the box office , so i don't think it has great chances to get a nod( it was also released very early, this year).
By aslan
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Have not seen it yet but the work does look great. I really like image engine as a vfx house.

Not a good restaraunt though.
By ShaneP
I was referring to the last Neil Blomkamp's movie, Chappie. They chanched the title in "Human-android" but maybe in some countries is still called "Chappie"? I Don't know. BTW, the movie itself is not completeley successful, but the vfx are seamless. The title carachter,a robot called Chappie, is one of the most photorealistic cg work i have seen recently. The movie bombed at the box office , so i don't think it has great chances to get a nod( it was also released very early, this year).
Oh yes. Yeah here in North America it was still called Chappie.

Terrific work though by Image Engine(once again after their terrific work on D9). I agree that probably should be a strong contender for at least the final bake-off if not a full nod. I'm still waiting to see all of the films through this year before I pick my five.

Another film that had tremendous robotic vfx was Ex Machina. DNeg did brilliant work on that. That had to have some very time consuming match move and paint and roto work.
By The Cynic
Ditto on EX MACHINA. Fantastic film. Effects were great but were basically only for the one character. One of my favorite movies of the year..
Last edited by The Cynic on Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.