Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By Mr.VFX
I was hoping a long time for a collaboration between Ridley Scott and ILM.
And now: ILM is part of THE MARTIAN.
No idea what they've done but the whole film is looking fantastic.
It's worth watching and finally it feels really good to see a great Ridley Scott film again!

Here are the credits (it's complete - they just mention the names):
  • Visual Effects by Industrial Light & Magic
    Mohen Leo
    Cynthia Crimmins
    Nina Fallon
    John Galloway
    Timothy Trimmings
    Oliver Askew
    Benjamin Charles
    Frank Dumont
    David Kirchner
    Scott Pritchard
    Claudio Bassi
    Carlos Conceicao
    Sam Hanover
    Gordon Marshall
    Hantong Tang
    Conor Byrne
    Sonia Contreras
    Rosie Keane
    Luca Mignardi
    Kristofer Whitford
By ShaneP
Was the film in 3D? Some of those London ILMers are paint and roto artists. Maybe they did a sequence in stereo?
By Mr.VFX
Was the film in 3D? Some of those London ILMers are paint and roto artists. Maybe they did a sequence in stereo?
The film was in 3D. Often, I have my problems with 3D but here it was perfect!
Gorgeous Mars-vistas, beautiful depth, cristal clear images but never synthetic.

Four companies were mentioned in the credits for stereoscopic post-alignment and 3-D conversion:
Dimension X, Onsight, Prime Focus and Stereo-D.

So even, I'm pretty sure ILM's work has been in 3D their job wasn't 3D conversion but their own visual effects sequences.
By ShaneP
Ah I see. So it wasn't stereo conversion then. I guess we will just have to wait until this film gets more coverage to find out what they did.
By PaulILMFan
Good film saw it earlier today in London.

VFX are flawless & long cuts none of this modern MTV style quick cut rubbish its all about long masters & slow cutting in the entire movie allowing the scenes to flow along with the acting.

The actual movie is Apollo13/Cast Away/Robinson Crusoe On Mars/Gravity but in a good way :D

If you like serious sci-fi with a little humour but shot in a 1970-80s style then I think you will like the film its decent, solid & entertaining from start to finish IMO

Yet again in 2015 we have a studio movie which is way better than it has any right to be as in recent years quality has nosedived this film is another sign someone in Hollywood noticed (or is could be Ridley is powerful enough to get his own way behind the scenes!).

Production values are very high the seams between CGI, physical models & sets are blended very well here. Cannot believe the budget was only $108m that's an insane number for the 2001 discovery style ship sets & epic Martian landscapes :wink:
By ShaneP
Wow, roughly a $100 million film is a good achievement for a modern big Hollywood movie.

I've heard this is Ridley Scott rejenuvinated.
By PaulILMFan
Wow, roughly a $100 million film is a good achievement for a modern big Hollywood movie.

I think it is (finally!) now Alien: Paradise Lost seems like worth waiting 2 years for & Blade Runner 2 in 2017-8 (Ridley is only directing but as he is on a roll he confirmed a few days ago that Harrison
Spoiler: show
(is a replicant all along)
By ShaneP

I think it is (finally!) now Alien: Paradise Lost seems like worth waiting 2 years for & Blade Runner 2 in 2017-8 (Ridley is only directing but as he is on a roll he confirmed a few days ago that Harrison
Yeah, I can't wait for Prometheus 2 and Blade Runner 2. Wait, isn't he just producing BR2? Man, I wish he would just direct it.
By tvaziri

Wait, we're doing spoiler alerts for 33 year old films?!
By ninja turtle
Tomorrow my 30 years full media blackout for Gone with the Wind will finally end. I hope the movie will be good.
By ShaneP
Tomorrow my 30 years full media blackout for Gone with the Wind will finally end. I hope the movie will be good.
I hope this doesn't ruin it for you, but the film is a romanticized look at the Southern plantation culture and a clear example of the Lost Cause narrative prevalent in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Oh, and the North wins.

:P

#GWTWspoilersbutfranklymydearIdon'tgiveadamn
By PaulILMFan

Wait, we're doing spoiler alerts for 33 year old films?!
Not everyone going into Blade Runner 2 will know this will they :wink:
By ninja turtle

I hope this doesn't ruin it for you, but the film is a romanticized look at the Southern plantation culture and a clear example of the Lost Cause narrative prevalent in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Oh, and the North wins.

:P

#GWTWspoilersbutfranklymydearIdon'tgiveadamn
These are pretty soft spoilers, Shane!

Tomorrow is the great day, and i should resist, but i really can't: Does the female lead die at the end? Tell me, please!
By ShaneP
Does Scarlet die?

Yes. A Yankee drone flies over and shoots a missile at the house, destroying it and all the occupants.
By Kmart
Putting both the TARA and the BOOM in Tara ra boom dee-A ... 'eh?
By ShaneP
Caught this show yesterday. Excellent film. Vfx were flawless. Deserves Oscar noms for vfx and cinematography at a minimum. Terrific. My favorite Scott theatrical release since Gladiator(KoH's director's cut is a tremendous film but it's a director's cut not theatrical).

4.5/5
By ShaneP
The latest Cinefex mentions ILM London came on the show late in post and did around 20-30 shots, mostly featuring Matt Damon's breath when it's ice cold on the base post-explosion. They also did some vegetation removal from some of the desert shots to make things appear more martian.
They also did wire and rig removal on Matt Damon at the end of the film when he is reunited with his crew aboard their vessel in space.
By aslan
What a joyous ride this film is. Far better than I anticipated. Felt tears of pride welling up at one point.

Very good vfx.