Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By ShaneP
Very cool. Check it out. Seems to still be a work in progress but interesting.

VFX sup on Doctor Strange is Richard Bluff.

The Great Wall is suped by Samir Hoon and appears to be an exclusively Singaporean project. :cheers:

The Martian's vfx sup is Mohen leo

Give it a look see. Very 8)

Now keep it updated ILM!

There's a great section with ILM' supes, vfx, animation, as well as art directors and producers.

Here's a list(this will obviously evolve and change as people move on, leave, people join, etc.)

Vfx supervisors:
Dennis Muren
John Knoll
Tim Alexander
Richard Bluff
Jeff Capogreco
Grady Cofer
Dave Dally
Lindy DeQuattro
Russell Earl
Scott Farrar
Bill George
Roger Guyett
Hayden Landis
Mohen Leo
Pablo Helman
Craig Hammack
Samir Hoon
Mike Mulholland
Eddie Pasquarello
Phillipe Rebours
Dan Seddon
Jason Smith
Jason Snell
Ben Snow
Nigel Sumner
Jeff White

Animation supes:
Scott Benza
Marc Chu
Michael Eames
Tim Harrington
Hal Hickel
Paul Kavanaugh
Kevin Martel
Glen McIntosh
Rick O'Connor
Kim Ooi
Steve Rawlins
Jance Rubinchik
David Shirk
Matt Shumway
Delio Tramontozzi
Last edited by ShaneP on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By ShaneP
It's possible or it could be an omission. Not sure about him and Lindy DeQuattro. And some of these bios seem a bit dated so it's possible he wasn't even an vfx supervisor on The Revenant when they wrote these up. ILM has been working on it for about a year and some of the bios mention "this Summers [insert films]" when referring to 2014 releases.
Maybe they had these in the can and didn't update them or create new ones? Hard to say.

edit:

ILM….Pat Tubach is Pat Tobacco? WTH?! :lol:
By ShaneP
vfx fan wrote:They also don't list TMNT 2 as one of their projects.

Oh, and Jeff White's name is missing, too. :-?

Oops. That was my error. He's there in their listings. I just missed him. I also had Hayden Landis as an animation supe too. Fixed that. And added Delio Tramontozzi in animation.

Also, where is Maia Kayser? She was just at the SIGGRAPH ILM panel a month ago for Tomorrowland?

I think they've missed some stuff. I noticed they added James Clyne as an AD this afternoon so it seems to be a work in progress.

And beyond TMNT 2 they've missed Scorsese's Silence too. There's a few omissions. They could also add Valerian too as a new bit.

They need to make sure they update it often. Don't let it fall in a rut like last time.
By ninja turtle
Great, Shane! I like the fact that they listed the animation supervisors and vfx supervisors for the upcoming projects.I hope they will upgrade the list with some of the R&D guys. And what happened to Lindy Dequattro?
By ShaneP
ninja turtle wrote:Great, Shane! I like the fact that they listed the animation supervisors and vfx supervisors for the upcoming projects.I hope they will upgrade the list with some of the R&D guys. And what happened to Lindy Dequattro?

Not sure. I'm really perplexed why so few women are vfx supervisors. I really am. There are plenty of women in vfx overall it seems. Look at all the women vfx producers. Is the creative side of vfx too much of a boy's club? I'm not suggesting there should be a quota or anything like that. It just seems…noticeable.
ILM is still adding crew photos to their Key Talent page. Looks like some even have new mugshots.

edit: Okay, DeQuattro is up now. I don't know about Rich McBride. What about Art Director Dan Wheaton? Not there.

edit: Credits through this Summer's biggest releases also now up! :cheers:
By ShaneP
Okay more new additions in the key talent of ILM's site:

Weta veteran producer Hannah Bianchini joins ILM's ranks as a vfx producer. She goes back to the LOTR films.

Mara Bryan joins ILM London. She goes way back to Framestore's earliest days and was a vfx supervisor and producer for years. She was recently at Serkis' Imaginarium Studios and DNeg as a bidding producer before joining ILM this Summer.
By ninja turtle
ShaneP wrote:Not sure. I'm really perplexed why so few women are vfx supervisors. I really am. There are plenty of women in vfx overall it seems. Look at all the women vfx producers. Is the creative side of vfx too much of a boy's club? I'm not suggesting there should be a quota or anything like that. It just seems…noticeable.

Maybe in management or production positions, they have more time for the family? Honestly, i have no idea...

Glad they included Lindy DeQuattro in the "Key Talents" list. I hope some of the tech guys, like Cary Phillips, won't be overlooked.
By ShaneP
Congrats to Phillippe Rebours on landing the ILM vfx supervisory gig on Valerian.

ILM updated their site and included that and Nina Turtles 2.

Still missing Deepwater Horizon and Silence though.
By ShaneP
ILM needs to add Maia Keyser as an animation supe on their Key Talent section.

And what about David Vickery in London and Dan Wheaton and Rich McBride?

Also need to update their credits listing.
By ShaneP
They're making progress on updating credits for films this year.

ILM could, just could, possibly, put their crew photos of all the films they've worked on up on their website.

Would be a nice addition.

Maybe...