Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By ShaneP
It will be interesting to see another facility tackle this new universe. I really liked their work on Interstellar and look forward to this. 8)
By vfx fan
Well, my concern is that STAR TREK is cursed. Whereas most people believe that the odd-number films suck, I rather believe that it is the ones ILM didn't work on were the ones that sucked balls, even though some of them had high-quality fx work (Nemesis, which coincidentally was the movie that proved the even-numbered TREKS could suck, too).
By Kmart
I thought ILM did well on KHAN, but then on the third movie they started DESIGNING things, and boy, I didn't like too much of that (outside of the BirdOfPrey) AT ALL. StarWarsification of TREK starts right there. The only three trek movies I love are ones that ILM either just executed orders on or didn't do at all: the first, second and fifth. (technically ILM devised the Genesis tape pretty much under their own steam, but in terms of the ships, they worked from Paramount designs on KHAN.)
By ShaneP
I'm not concerned about Dnegs work on this Trek as long as it's at the Dneg Interstellar level and not the Justin Lin/Dneg/Fast and Furious one.
By Jedi
The stuff they did for the sixth Fast and Furious (the last one Justin Lin directed) is pretty damn good. All of the airplane stuff at the end is very well done. Is there some spotty shot design in there? Yeah, sure, but the work was executed quite well.

At least Michael Giacchino is back to write the music. I would have started a riot if not.
By PaulILMFan
Apart from STMP & STV any other Trek movie without ILM has failed miserably creatively :e_sad: so they need to break that curse here I wonder what they are doing about the ILM digital Enterprise model or are ILM rendering that I wonder as it would be costly to recreate in CG.

I guessed ILM would not be involved when Paramount moved it to film in Canada & rushed it forward to make the 50th anniversary :roll: (both budget saving moves to increase studio profitability).
By Kmart
I thought Canada would have confirmed ILM being back ... didn't they just set up an office up there for TOMORROWLAND, or am I thinking of another US company?

I'm very excited to think about what this stuff is going to look like this time out, I hope they really clean up the look of things.
By ShaneP
Kmart wrote:I thought Canada would have confirmed ILM being back ... didn't they just set up an office up there for TOMORROWLAND, or am I thinking of another US company?

I'm very excited to think about what this stuff is going to look like this time out, I hope they really clean up the look of things.

ILM has been in Vancouver for a few years. But virtually every other big vfx studio is as well now. DNeg just opened a facility there. Since JJ won't be behind the chair I expect the look of the film might change a bit.
By PaulILMFan
A projectionist already saw the 2K trailer (01:25 long) few hours ago said the VFX are unfinished he did not like it at all & even posted 3 shots from it including one of the CG Enterprise in space which looks horrible.

I'm getting a Star Trek 5 vibe from it :eek: No ILM (that we know of), lower budget, more action less story. The 3 pics are here on his public twitter feed :roll:

It contains 3 mild spoilers so do not click if you do not want to spoil the trailer when its attached to all TFA non IMAX prints in a few days!
https://twitter.com/CaptainChaotika
By Kmart
I'd love to get a trek5 vibe again, but it ain't possible without the original big three, casting-wise.

VFX-wise, DNeg is certainly a better bet than Ferren was, I would be surprised if the final VFX disappoint at all (and that's coming from somebody who was not impressed with a lot of the ILM ship stuff in these last two, which seems awfully gauzy at times, even when there isn't a ton of crap flying at the camera.)

The only trek trailer that ever blew me away was the one for KHAN, and despite a certain crudity to it, I still rewatch that periodically. I do have higher hopes for this one than the previous two, but that's because I'm hoping Abrams is seriously absent in all ways (have not seen anything from him that I enjoyed, though I suppose SW is a possible, if not likely.)
By PaulILMFan
Kmart wrote:I'd love to get a trek5 vibe again, but it ain't possible without the original big three, casting-wise.

VFX-wise, DNeg is certainly a better bet than Ferren was, I would be surprised if the final VFX disappoint at all (and that's coming from somebody who was not impressed with a lot of the ILM ship stuff in these last two, which seems awfully gauzy at times, even when there isn't a ton of crap flying at the camera.)

The only trek trailer that ever blew me away was the one for KHAN, and despite a certain crudity to it, I still rewatch that periodically. I do have higher hopes for this one than the previous two, but that's because I'm hoping Abrams is seriously absent in all ways (have not seen anything from him that I enjoyed, though I suppose SW is a possible, if not likely.)
I hope your right but beasty boys trailer song is not a good sign to me & the face makeup looks very low budget :oops:

IMO ST6 teaser with Christopher Plummer voiceover was still the best even if it did just recap the franchise at that point in time :)
By ShaneP
If you're going to run a teaser in front of a SW movie, you better bring the goods, especially if you're Star Trek, or you will be mercilessly mocked.

They better bring it.
By PaulILMFan
ShaneP wrote:If you're going to run a teaser in front of a SW movie, you better bring the goods, especially if you're Star Trek, or you will be mercilessly mocked.

They better bring it.
Just saw the trailer in german. It contains way too many spoilers shame its attached to all TFA prints (except IMAX). Less is more this trailer just lets lose a ridiculous amount of spoiler material. VFX also look very ropey & low budget at this early stage I hope they are not final shots.

It actually has a minor ST5 vibe about it due to some of the onscreen elements :wink:

Not sure Paramount brought the goods here Shane they brought something for teens & mindless action fans & a few TOS elements but also way too many spoilers the biggest one will be debated about until the movie is released :wink:

Simon Pegg is also all over the trailer not bad considering he said he was in less not more I guess if your writing the movie you can do that & get away with it :roll:
By PaulILMFan
ninja turtle wrote:I saw the bootleg trailer in german: the way it is edited makes it terrible, laughable and insulting. It looks like Fast and Furious 8.
Like I said earlier it has a ST5 rushed production vibe to me as in fast n furious to make the 50th anniversary release date :eek: Reckon the budget is a good $50m lower than STID to help profit margins. These films are never going to do much more than $500m worldwide Star Wars is always looking over their shoulder....STID had a chance to increase the fanbase but blew it big time!

Spoiler: show
Destroying the Enterprise & making it mainly alien planet bound is another bad budget reducing sign to me it saves a lot of money not shooting Enterprise scenes & sets & the 4 month location shoot = most likely just over 1.5 hours long (to save more money I guess!).