Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

Star Trek 5 parallels are amazing :eek:

Western in space (as per Justin Lin quote yesterday)
Troubled pre-production phase
No ILM
Budget issues
Most of the movie is set on the alien planet apparently

No footage whatsoever shown @ Cinemacon last night leading many In the film industry to speculate the movie is in trouble as its only a few months away from the release date. They announced yesterday the movie is using the Barco 3 screen format & will require additional VFX work for that. Wonder if ILM will provide some last minute VFX work?

Paramount never learn do they!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind ... -be-882334
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/disp ... fullsize=1
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/disp ... fullsize=1
I'm so glad you brought it up up PaulILMFan. The resemblance at this point is striking. But, I love Trek and want to give any new film a chance so I was hesitant to be the first to bag on it based on my initial impressions.

But yes, they cast an entire role very late(hence my new thread title for Aghdashloo), did extensive reshoots, no ILM, trying to venture outside the overarching Klingon/Federation/Romulan/Vulcan world and bringing in new aliens.

It sounds like Trek 5 or even Trek Resurrection.

I hope not.
ShaneP wrote:I'm so glad you brought it up up PaulILMFan. The resemblance at this point is striking. But, I love Trek and want to give any new film a chance so I was hesitant to be the first to bag on it based on my initial impressions.

But yes, they cast an entire role very late(hence my new thread title for Aghdashloo), did extensive reshoots, no ILM, trying to venture outside the overarching Klingon/Federation/Romulan/Vulcan world and bringing in new aliens.

It sounds like Trek 5 or even Trek Resurrection.

I hope not.
The western in space quote from the director yesterday was the thing which gave me the biggest ST5 vibe as that's how CFQ described ST5 back in 1989 & even though it has its character moments & look how the VFX turned out on that one :eek:

STB is mainly set on the alien planet how much can they cram into that location I wonder also the trailer scenes of Scotty jumping from the escape pod gave me the Yosemite vibe from ST5 again!
Do you think they will roast marshmallows over the fire in this one too? :D

As for the vfx, I'm not worried about those with this one. This isn't like going from ILM to Ferren and Assoc. on Trek 5. This is ILM to DNeg, a fair handoff. But yes, the western in space and the whole other bunch of issues that have popped up with this one have me a bit concerned. I hope for the best.
Except for Lin's vocal support for AXANAR (which suggests to me a kneejerk reaction rather than a considered response, because no one in their right mind would be saying the AXANAR attempt to bypass copyright and all that to do their own STAR TREK is ethical or legal or in any way a good thing), I'm guardedly interested in this one.

Which is a good thing, since I just got an assignment to cover it. The combination of a director who did a couple good eps of TRUE DETECTIVE with a cowriter who worked on BIG LOVE and BANSHEE seems like a decent way to jolt things, while they still have Pegg to trek things up. It can't be as bad as the 09 one, and I'm hoping it is better than INTO DARKNESS, where Kirk isn't really Kirk, he has no gravitas, he's really just CumberBitch in his scenes with SupposedToBeKhan.
Kmart wrote:Except for Lin's vocal support for AXANAR (which suggests to me a kneejerk reaction rather than a considered response, because no one in their right mind would be saying the AXANAR attempt to bypass copyright and all that to do their own STAR TREK is ethical or legal or in any way a good thing), I'm guardedly interested in this one.

Which is a good thing, since I just got an assignment to cover it. The combination of a director who did a couple good eps of TRUE DETECTIVE with a cowriter who worked on BIG LOVE and BANSHEE seems like a decent way to jolt things, while they still have Pegg to trek things up. It can't be as bad as the 09 one, and I'm hoping it is better than INTO DARKNESS, where Kirk isn't really Kirk, he has no gravitas, he's really just CumberBitch in his scenes with SupposedToBeKhan.
Look forward to reading about how they handle the Enterprise is it ILM's model or did they have to build a new one!

It sounds like the Enterprise is going to be different at the end of the movie after getting deconstructed as per Justin Lin's quote!

Also trailer is now coming in Mid May @ a Paramount fan event apparently (US only I bet!).
http://collider.com/star-trek-beyond-ne ... fan-event/
ShaneP wrote:How many times are they going to destroy and rebuild those damn ships?
I know its such a weak story cop-out TSFS ILM handled it really well though but at the time the trailer gave it all away :roll: I think cost comes into it as well budget wise its expensive to show these hero models onscreen for long shots to get the lighting right is time consuming plus those Enterprise sets cost a lot of time/money to run.

I think STB will have minimal Enterprise exterior/interior shots somehow if most of the movie is on the alien planet.

Slightly off topic the new Trek TV series 1 is set post Undiscovered Country era which means they could (although its unlikely get the remaining TOS actors back!).
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/13/ ... generation
PostTUC is pretty much the most interesting era for me, because you still have the frontier feel of TOS. I came up with a whole miniseries idea that would have been directly after GEN's E-B opening, and I think that has gotten discussed before, so naturally I'm jazzed about this. Would like to be a fly in the trek writer's room (but would love to be a whole person at the table with them a helluva lot more!)
I agree. The post-Klingon/Federation detente period raises many unexplored story possibilities. I'm glad they're sidestepping the JJ-verse for this period as it deserves to be explored more.

Wasn't the original pitch several years ago for a Trek-Federation Academy series going to cover roughly the same era? This was around the 90s when these rumors surfaced.

I'm looking forward to checking it out at some point in some way(Isn't this going to be a streaming show or something?).
If anyone from here goes to the Trek event @ Paramount tomorrow I hope (NDA permitting) they post their thoughts on what is shown. The lack of info so far is intriguing/puzzling I know post productions schedules are tight nowadays but its 2 months away & we know virtually nothing except its mainly set on Planet Canada & the Enterprise gets destroyed so they get a new ship at the end (presumably!).
I did get an invite (probably because they didn't get me on the phone with DNeg early enough for my ICG story and wanted to make up for that), but that'd be a long way to go for what might not be much of anything (though I do have hope for the movie.) Plus I gotta figure there are deserving fans who ARE in the neighborhood and are desperate to go, so I asked Par PR to give it to one of them.

It all turned out good, looks like I will still cover Dneg, just for another mag, assuming Chiang gets on the phone with me in the next 72hrs.

Now if it had been a chance to see what was going on with the new Trek series, that I would have been all over in a hot minute.
Kmart wrote:Now if it had been a chance to see what was going on with the new Trek series, that I would have been all over in a hot minute.

But you did see the pictures of the crew(s) though just out right? Sounds like perhaps an anthology or multi-timeline storyline. Meyer also co-writing the entire first season too. 8)
Wasn't crazy about the artwork on the promo, too JJ-endcredits-like to me, and the idea that there are easter eggs in that promo suggests both post UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY and post 09 (klingon planet and possibly Romulus going bye-bye), but I've also heard the theory that the segmented Starfleet arrowhead suggests 7 DAYS IN MAY kinds of intrigue within Starfleet (which I'm always up for seeing more of.)

Gotta admit, the little bit of the theme music pinging in did really 'get' me, a presence I haven't felt since ... (oops, wrong franchise.)

Would love the idea of several different storylines on various ships if it leads into a grand unified plotline, sort of THE STAND or ATLAS SHRUGGED version of a Trek story. I've probably mentioned more than once that I had notes for a post-TUC post-GENprologue miniseries about the Enterprise-B after Kirk's 'death' that really plumbed the retro70s paranoia feel of SFS ("I don't think you want to be discussing this situation in public, sir") and TUC, a story where the ship has had its registry burned off and so it has to earn back its wings, as do Harriman and a few others. I imagined it as a 6 or 8 hr story taking place on several starships as well as Earth and Vulcan, that way you could have had capt sulu as well.

It seems to me that the best way to have your cake and eat it too with trek is to keep basic dramatic tenets (the ones GR suspended on TNG) of interpersonal conflict while still showing the yearning for the 'boldly go' aspect. You don't have to always go hog-wild on the 'strange new worlds' so long as you have the expression to do it, and put that up against the baddies with their self-interests. (If you were to apply this to INTO DARKNESS, it would probably have involved destroying a world like the one seen at the beginning of the movie and pinning it on the klingons in order to foster a new war ... hey, that's not bad at all!)
the stuff about JJ & Lin making the lawsuit against AXANAR go away is boiling my blood! They're not being nice to a fan, they're being nice to the bad guy!

Trailer didn't impress beyond a few nice shots, but I've been mistaken about trailers before.