Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By aslan
Didn't like this very much surprisingly. Felt flat and messy. Overload of cg some of which was below par. Enterprise looked good though. Three weeks later and little of it sticks in my mind.
By PaulILMFan
Just saw again at home in 4K UHD. VFX still stands up very well & looks utterly stunning :D I think it deserves the 2017 VFX Oscar for the complex but seamless work.

Still hope we get another with this cast but its not looking promising as this movie made $200m less than STID despite being better received.
By ShaneP
PaulILMFan wrote:Just saw again at home in 4K UHD. VFX still stands up very well & looks utterly stunning :D I think it deserves the 2017 VFX Oscar for the complex but seamless work.

Still hope we get another with this cast but its not looking promising as this movie made $200m less than STID despite being better received.

It is a great looking film and was enjoyable. I assume you are kidding around about the Oscar because it didn't make the Ten cut:

“Arrival”
“The BFG”
“Captain America: Civil War”
“Deepwater Horizon”
“Doctor Strange”
“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”
“The Jungle Book”
“Kubo and the Two Strings”
“Passengers”
“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”

Of those, I think The Jungle Book will win. It has previous multi-time winners in Legato and Andy Jones, it has bountiful character animation, and it just had all around excellent work.
By PaulILMFan
Jungle Book looked like a bad computer game to me way too fake looking made the SW prequels looks state of the art!

Rogue One out of that list had the best overall work although I did not care for the film at all apart from Vader!!!

The BFG had some terrible VFX work on the characters looked very fake to me as well due to some of the awkward movements!

Deepwater Horizon was another I felt the VFX were pretty average.

Passengers was not very VFX heavy either not sure how it even made the cut! Most of the average looking space work was seen before as well apart from the zero g swimming pool sequence.

Too late now but Beyond had a lot of complex & seamless work should have made the cut & won but as always box office talks to the academy voters so low box office = no oscar!
By ninja turtle
Among the movies nominated that i have seen, i think the best work is in " Deepwater Horizon" and "Rogue One". I have seen only youtube clips of BFG, and it looked to me the worst WETA animation to date. Jungle Book is very overrated, but i think it will win .
By vfx fan
I was bummed that Warcraft didn't make the cut. Boring-ass movie, but man, the orcs were breathtaking, certainly better than anything in The BFG, which I thought was mostly boring, despite having a fart joke that actually managed to make me laugh (kudos, because it's so hard to make fart jokes funny to people over 5).

I liked Passengers, partly because it was a space opera and partly because it upset SJWs...though if it weren't for the setting in that awesome-looking but horribly designed spaceship, I wouldn't have given two shits about the movie.
By ShaneP
I thought the work in The Jungle Book was terrific and very consistent considering multiple houses worked on it.

Rogue One was right up there and it also has previous winners in John Knoll and Hickel.

Star Trek's vfx was great too but it didn't make the cut so no go.

The BFG multiple giant shots fell apart at the end. When it was just the lone giant, the scenes were more effective. But the ending with all the giants looked no better than The Giant Slayer, that mess of a movie Bryan Singer directed a few years ago.

As a personal favorite, I would go with Deepwater, but there's no way that little movie is going to beat all of those giant spectacles. I liked The Jungle Book and thought the work was great and it also has the pedigree and the qualifications that usually mark an Oscar winner. That's my pick to win.
The fan reaction to recent reports, casting, klingon re-imagining, etc has been fervent. This isn't really new to Trek as fans have always had opinions about everything from casting, episodes, uniforms, you name it fans have complained about it.

But there's something about this recent show and fan's reactions to it that surprised me: the attacks on the diversity of the cast. Seriously, how can you complain about the diverse cast of Trek when it's always had women, aliens, ancient men inhabiting a woman's body, etc?

NOW you complain about diversity? :lol: What the heck? Are people just trying to find something to complain about or are there legit criticisms?
I will say the pithy response from the studio to these complaints isn't exactly going to persuade many to their side.

The new klingon look is different but is that a bad thing?

Interested to hear your thoughts, especially the resident Trek fans(Paul and Kmart), about this.

What are your thoughts about all of the recent hubbub?
My hopes are with THE ORVILLE.

My old TNG specs and treatments are all perfect for this show. Plus I've already come up with a seriously PUNNY title and newstory notion that works well with ORVILLE's TNG fascination.

I just don't know why both of these shows are dragging ass on processing press requests so badly. You'd think this was FIREFLY all over again at FOX -- I spent months getting nowhere with them back then too.

DISCOVERY ... just looks a little wrong to me. Don't get me wrong, TNG looked very wrong to me too (still does), so it isn't just a bias against this show in particular. I really don't like the foggy-window look of the exterior ship stuff, very much in the Abrams vein, which I loathe. It reminds me of the 'dingy mailing labels stuck on a model' look that early CG had, like VOYAGER, crossed with the live-action 'on Bigfoot's spaceship' ultra-diffused look used on Cylon basestar interiors in nuBSG, which frankly made me want to vomit. DISC's interiors are kind of all over the place too ... I just don't dig any of it based on brief glimpses.

Story-wise, I can't figure it either. I don't think I'll subscribe to CBS to get the episodes, but maybe the first hour will totally change my mind. Now TWIN PEAKS, this is worth every penny we're spending, we're rewatching the shows multiple times, we're blown away 1/2 the time, THAT is genuinely exciting (though THEY aren't allowing any press till after the season finishes airing ... )

EDIT ADDON: sorry I don't post more, but every time I go here and get the sign-in page, I get a 'this site is not secure/your password can be seen' type message on my computer. I finally realized I don't care if somebody hacks my password for this site ... if somebody else posted under my name, you guys would probably recognize the writing as being faux right away anyway!
Shane honestly I have zero interest in Discovery. It looks so bad to me on many levels & I still firmly believe re-using the McQuarrie concept art is a cheap way of reclaiming losses booked on STMP era aborted Trek TV series!! I just have no interest in it (or further Star Wars for that matter). The recent reveals make me stay away even more as well the Spock has a half step sister angle is just so bizarre no wonder Nick Meyer is working on his own thing right now & flying under the radar! Getting Jason Issacs to change his superb british voice into a generic & poor US one is another bizarre decision its clear to me they are winging it & just trying to get the episodes done ASAP now the money is pouring in. Nothing to stop CBS lowering the quality as its already paid for.

I want an ST4 with the current Beyond cast is all the Trek I desire (apart from 4K HDR scans of TOS movies 1-6 that is!!). I think the Berman era produced way too much Trek the movies with larger budgets are the only Trek I would ever pay to see again. Just give me an ST4 with same cast & crew as Beyond time travel galore Kirk meeting his Father (then no doubt having to decide to doom him again to save the universe as we know it etc etc).

But you know next few months are good for nostalgia fans like us & Kmart. So many decent things coming out within the next 2 months:
Terminator 2 3D theatrical & 4K HDR + Bluray home release
Close Encounters Of The 3rd Kind Theatrical re-release & 4K HDR + Bluray home release
ET Theatrical re-release + 4K HDR + Bluray home release
Ash vs Evil Dead Season 3
Stranger Things Season 2
Twin Peaks (remaining episodes)
Blade Runner 2049
Blade Runner Theatrical re-release & 4K HDR + Bluray home release

Ready Player One - That looks fantastic to me. Freddy Krueger & the DeLorean from BTTF plays a big part apparently along with Iron Giant. 2018 but well worth waiting for then Spielberg looks like he is moving onto Indy 5 finally.

All IMO worth your hard earned money. Discovery looks like a very cheaply produced TV series which is already in profit so corners are being cut. It just seems like the 4 decades ago promised Paramount TV station launch product and no more! Its so obvious CBS will use Netflix to get the show going then yank it if it sells well to launch their own TV channel!!
Thanks for the responses and insight guys. Trek seems to be suffering from too many competing visions now and no one person steering the ship.

I can't wait for the CE3K blu and the next season of Stranger Things.

I still love Stranger Thing's main theme. If there is a place in my brain that stores 80s nostalgia, then that theme hits it every
time.

Villeneuve is one of my favorite directors right now and BR 2049 I will see in the theater. I loved Sicario and Arrival so hopefully this one knocks it out of the park too. Big shoes to fill though.
ShaneP wrote:Thanks for the responses and insight guys. Trek seems to be suffering from too many competing visions now and no one person steering the ship.

I can't wait for the CE3K blu and the next season of Stranger Things.

I still love Stranger Thing's main theme. If there is a place in my brain that stores 80s nostalgia, then that theme hits it every
time.

Villeneuve is one of my favorite directors right now and BR 2049 I will see in the theater. I loved Sicario and Arrival so hopefully this one knocks it out of the park too. Big shoes to fill though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSpQ3G08k48

They also made a 5 notes special edition for $75.99 which plays the famous John Williams tune when you open it :D
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WMDDG6/?t ... ayforum-20

As for Blade Runner 2049 it was confirmed as an R Rating yesterday hopefully a good sign its a proper sci-fi not some watered down PG13 mishmash! Villeneuve also made a powerful movie called Prisoners go check that out its a strong drama about a difficult subject but very well made.

T2 3D Endo Skeleton arm version just for you Shane :wink: I know you are going to buy 10 of these suckers at that price :wink:
https://www.amazon.com/Terminator-Judgm ... nator+2+4k

As for Trek its obvious Meyer walked away when he could smell the BS coming down from CBS to do his own Trek project where he could control things. Discovery smells to me like a cheap corporate cash grab no doubt it will generate a lot of interest initially but then I think it will just fizzle out as its too generic & too PC just for the sake of being PC you can literally tick off all the PC friendly elements already! Diverse cast, Transgender relative of Spock (she-he is called Michael after all!), reusing imagery which is very similar to other recent trek projects etc etc :roll:
ShaneP wrote: What do you mean by reusing elements for Trek Discovery? Please don't tell me they are going the old recycling of vfx shots route like in days passed TNG and Trek VI and VII did. : :|
I meant that they reused some Ralph McQuarre concept art from the aborted pre STMP TV Series and that some the VFX work shown to date looks a lot like the style used in the current JJ movie series. I just see nothing new in any of this & was not onboard with the series regardless I feel they have made way too much Trek on TV! http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/wp-co ... prise2.jpg
Ah I see. Yeah the McQuarrie starship concepts were my least favorite of all of his Trek work. Loved the asteroid base stuff but not his starship designs for Trek.
I usually love his work elsewhere but not in this instance.

I watched Beyond last night. What a great movie. By far the most tv series like of the new Treks(and that's not a bad thing). You could really feel these actors getting into the rhythm of their roles finally. Too bad it is unlikely we will see another voyage with these folks. I really like this cast. Yorktown is completely Roddenberry-esque too. Space Utopiaaaa! :e_ugeek:
ShaneP wrote:Ah I see. Yeah the McQuarrie starship concepts were my least favorite of all of his Trek work. Loved the asteroid base stuff but not his starship designs for Trek.
I usually love his work elsewhere but not in this instance.

I watched Beyond last night. What a great movie. By far the most tv series like of the new Treks(and that's not a bad thing). You could really feel these actors getting into the rhythm of their roles finally. Too bad it is unlikely we will see another voyage with these folks. I really like this cast. Yorktown is completely Roddenberry-esque too. Space Utopiaaaa! :e_ugeek:
That McQuarrie starship design was dated in the 1970's it does not look any better today! Discovery to me is just a make it as cheap as possible then if its popular CBS can do what Disney are build their own streaming content channel (probably why Discovery is being made in the first place).

Yeah Beyond is a very solid movie. I loved seeing it in laser IMAX 3D last summer the Enterprise looked real :eek: VFX were stunning should have at least made the Oscar bake of! Still think we might get one more movie with this cast as Skydance just signed up for 4 more years of Paramount co-productions it would be beyond :wink: stupid to ditch this cast & backstory to spend even more money on a new set of characters & starship. I think ST4 will just be slightly lower budget to maintain healthy profit margins & lower the financial risk. Watch the 4K HDR scan Shane it showcases the movie even more :D

Perhaps Nick Meyer's secret Trek project is the ST4 screenplay :wink:
Nick Meyer writing a script for this new Trek would be awesome.

Another thing I really liked about this film is many of the vfx shots featured new angles and views we've never seen before(like the initial launch of Enterprise from Yorktown and the new warp travel).

It seemed like the filmmakers were keen on delivering a new take on the vfx as much as possible while still having some Trek elements.

And the chemistry of the cast and their characters, especially that of McCoy and Spock, was excellent.

Great stuff. :cheers:
ShaneP wrote:Nick Meyer writing a script for this new Trek would be awesome.

Another thing I really liked about this film is many of the vfx shots featured new angles and views we've never seen before(like the initial launch of Enterprise from Yorktown and the new warp travel).

It seemed like the filmmakers were keen on delivering a new take on the vfx as much as possible while still having some Trek elements.

And the chemistry of the cast and their characters, especially that of McCoy and Spock, was excellent.

Great stuff. :cheers:
VFX were great I agree even with filming in Canada & ditching ILM the budget was still $185M which is massive. No wonder it struggled to make any profit due to late summer release & terrible beastie boys focused trailer before TFA was a real dumb marketing move :cry: no surprise the box office was $200M less than STID :eek2: