Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

ShaneP wrote:Judging by the films grosses, I would say it better come this weekend Kmart. ;)

It is a fun adventure and was worth seeing on the big screen. And I did like the small touches like
Spoiler: show
the USS Franklin and the Trek V era OS crew photograph
Kmart its unlikely to survive after this weekend on the premium biggest screens so its your last chance I think!

Shane I loved the shot where you see
Spoiler: show
the enterprise crew members running through the saucer windows trying to reach the lifepods before the ship entered the atmosphere!
so much stunning detail I have to see it again this weekend in Imax 3D on the biggest screen I can find in London :)
By Kmart
Anybody do the Barco thing?

I'm going to have to pay full to see the movie, the replacement TWOK disk came, but without the 'movie money.' Figures.
By Kmart
There's this three-panel screen process called Barco Beyond that has been used on a few other vfx films in recent years, and they used it on BEYOND too (though Lin didn't sound too enthusiastic about it.) For the most part, they blow up the image so you've got a cropped top and bottom, which doesn't sound ideal, but some folks say certain scenes in Yorktown are very spectacular when presented this way. I don't think there is a theater that has this within a few hundred miles of here, so I don't know if anybody is going to nibble on that kind of presentation or not.
By ShaneP
Wow never heard of it. So it's kind of like an IMAX?

I doubt I have anything in the vicinity although there might be one in Vegas.

edit: just checked and there are currently only about 30 Escape theaters worldwide. Closest one is in Cathedral City, CA. I used to live right next door in Palm Desert. Guess I will have to wait til it expands beyond CA.
By Kmart
My understanding is that is is more like 3-panel Cinerama than Imax, because it is w-i-d-e ... but the seams are pretty obvious.
It would probably be near-ideal for showing BRAINSTORM, though.
By ShaneP
Oh okay. Yeah they used to have a ride like that at Disneyland where it flew over scenic spots. I think it was the original Soarin ride.

But yes, it would fit Brainstorm perfectly. Barco Escape's page suggests they're going to try and expand to 100 theaters very shortly so hopefully I will get one at least in Vegas in the next few years.

Doesn't sound like it would work for every type of film though. I hope it works. We need something new to shake things up and 3D seems to have fallen off.
By PaulILMFan
Saw it in 3D laser Imax earlier in London. :omg: some real jaw dropping moments such a vivid, clear looking picture. Some of the Enterprise VFX & Yorktown were stunning in 3D IMAX you could almost reach out & touch the Enterprise hull in space :eek: shame the box office has tumbled 61% this is going to be the lowest grossing movie in the series by far but does not deserve to be its a very solid entry & so much better experience in 3D IMAX.
By ShaneP
I really don't know why it's underperforming so much. The story and visuals are all solid. This might mark the end of the NuTrek universe on the big screen.
By PaulILMFan
ShaneP wrote:I really don't know why it's underperforming so much. The story and visuals are all solid. This might mark the end of the NuTrek universe on the big screen.
Yeah its not looking good for anymore big screen Treks at this rate sadly :cry: That Trek TV series looks hopeless judging by the visuals of the new ship (direct ripoff from the aborted 1970s TV series I wonder how much other source material they are going to repurpose for this!).
By Kmart
Regarding the TV thing, I think this is a matter of choice rather than just trying to use an existing thing, that they LIKE the McQ illustration (god knows why) and wanted it this way.

I probably would have liked TNG better if David Gerrold hadn't taken that particular Probert E-D sketch to GR, because MAYBE it wouldn't have wound up with those shortened and reshortened nacelles and front-heavy look with the huge goofy dish.

Considering some of the folks on this show, I'd expect better taste, but then again, we don't know where they're going with this. Since they're already in the green on this series, I think this is guaranteed a couple seasons, just like TNG, regardless of quality, but honestly I was expecting a serious winner to emerge, and now I'm not sure that is forthcoming. I am figuring a less-than-heroic captain or lead will be a part of things, given how recent series seem to be about bad guys.

I'd embrace the chasing down of a renegade capt and starship, but that doesn't fit the literal-minded description of DISCOVERY (though I suppose if it is a process of revealing something underhanded about Fed and SF, that IS a form of discovery.)

Then again, I'm the guy who always wants his trek taking place right after TUC and GEN, because I like the look and the retro-paranoid feel of SFS and TUC ('sir, that's a subject I don't think you should be discussing in public' is a line that seems SO away from TREK trademark optimism, yet it resonates so well for me.)

I'll probably see BEYOND tomorrow after getting my oil changed. Even though my wife is a huge Elba fan, she flat-out will not go see the movie, having been burned by the misuse of Cumberbatch last time, back when I didn't want to go (but went anyway, though we both happily skipped the 09 in theaters and still think we didn't miss a thing.) I'm really expecting to like but not love it, which will put it at least a bit above any Trek after 1989 (only like TUC well after the fact and FC has never spoken to me - I only really enjoyed it on blu-ray, and still skipped past a lot of Cochrane stuff.)
By ShaneP
Some of the stuff I've read on the CBS site about Trek Online and the post-TNG/DS9 timeline is really lackluster. Alliances to defeat yet another Borgish type enemy, inner plotting, etc.

As much as I enjoyed TNG and even 09 Trek, it really hasn't been the same since Roddenberry's passing in 91.

Kmart, when you say you'd like them to explore the era between TUC and SFS, what is SFS?

I also changed the name of this thread. I think this forum is fine with an "all things Trek thread" considering ILM's extensive history with the film series and what the future might bring.

mini-rant:
PaulILMfan, I'm with you on the new Discovery ship design. It is a flying hubcap in space. And as much as I love McQuarie's work for Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica, his work for Star Trek I find doesn't fit. Beyond the star fleet base in an asteroid, which I still think is a cool visual, I don't care much for his starship stuff.

I won't even get into the way the studio handles Trek fans. The major problem with all of this is ownership: the studio(s) have always short changed Trek and its fans. It's sad. You want to know what's even sadder? That Mickey Mouse is handling their stewardship of Star Wars and interaction with their fan base than CBS and Paramount has with Trek.

end mini-rant
By Kmart
SFS is SEARCH FOR SPOCK. Probably should have said SFS through GEN

I'm no fan of McQ's take either, or this interpretation of same. I think the original Ken Adam sketch showed a lot of promise (needed nacelle work), but McQ turned it from something sporty to a ww2 clunker that looks like it should have black smoke coming out of the engines, and a catapult to launch the shuttlecraft (TITANS was going to be pretty shuttlecraft-heavy in its first incarnation, though the Kaufman treatment done after the writers left doesn't really reflect that as I recall.)
@ Kmart would not surprise me if Paramount-CBS are still trying to book the loses from the aborted 1970's TV series so insist on re-using some of the better concepts/ideas. I would not surprised either if 1 or 2 of those scripts were re-used as well.

Beyond is sinking fast @ the box office its looking unlikely this crew gets another big budget movie sadly. Beyond just has not connected with the mainstream it will be gone within a month from all theatres at the rate its sinking now.
By Kmart
Still haven't even seen BEYOND yet, had three articles all come due a week early, so between the day job and these three, I've not done anything else lately. Will try for it tomorrow.
By Kmart
Absolutely dug the movie! The things I thought would be awful weren't, and all the good stuff was better than I expected. Movie looked dark/mushy, which I know it isn't, so expect will love it even more on blu-ray.

Most people would think I'm joking, but you folks know me well enough to realize I'm not being facetious when I say this is the most fun I've had with seeing a trek movie in a theater since FINAL FRONTIER in 1989. Lin, Jung and Pegg did this one right.
Kmart wrote:Absolutely dug the movie! The things I thought would be awful weren't, and all the good stuff was better than I expected. Movie looked dark/mushy, which I know it isn't, so expect will love it even more on blu-ray.

Most people would think I'm joking, but you folks know me well enough to realize I'm not being facetious when I say this is the most fun I've had with seeing a trek movie in a theater since FINAL FRONTIER in 1989. Lin, Jung and Pegg did this one right.
Glad you liked it for sure it had a minor ST5 vibe to it as well. The crew in forest scenes especially. What did you think of the Yorktown & Enterprise VFX?

Looks like this movie is failing hard at the box office though not sure we will get a ST4 anytime soon with this crew.

The original story Orci was going to direct would have been Shatner-Nimoy team up to & reverse-close the Kelvin Trek timeline & save millions of lives on Vulcan by doing so :eek: but Nimoy would be conflicted by if he should save his race or let the universe unfold as it did post Kelvin incident :eek2: would have made one hell of a cinematic story I guess but one which will probably never be told now.
By Kmart
Just got back from seeing it 2nd time, better theater, could see what was going on better.

Was very impressed with YORKTOWN and ship CG, just wish some of the shots had held longer. Really liked that they used very wide shots in space scenes as well as beauty passes.