Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

The vfx in the trailer are top notch. The rest looks fun. But I think they need to move away from the JJ verse after this film. A trilogy is enough. Whatever timeline, classic or alt, the new Trek show is set in will tell us their intent going forward.
yeah, it is ... but it isn't supposed to go up till after the movie comes out. I hope nobody got in trouble ... BTW, I talked to Sean Hargreaves yesterday for an ICG interview in the Aug issue. Talked about lots of projects (only a little ILM), and he was very enthusiastic about BEYOND. He studied the original Jeffries design before tackling it, and wound up doing nearly all the Federation/Starfleet stuff in the film, including that great city in space thing.
I'm really concerned about this. A Chris Pine site doesn't just have the whole article up, it has the cover and the splash page and the editor's page, so that is all stuff that even I haven't seen! It's like somebody sent them a PDF of the issue, which only just got out of layout in the last week or ten days. So while trekcore is linking the mag's page, there isn't anything there, and if there was, it wouldn't have the pages and cover in mag format, so this is ... man, this is a cluster of mines.
I know the editor sent a request for removal to trekcore about 12 hours back, and he is trying to reach the pine twitter thing, but apparently the latter is in Beijing and doesn't have any way to ID or contact the user.

Trekcore seems to be ignoring as well, as I went to the site for the first time in many months last night to complain about this, and woke up just now to find the usual abusive crap and no removal of story.

I suppose I should be happy this happened the same day that the par/cbs 'fanfilm guidelines' came out, along with Fuller talking the new series with teased details. Those are much bigger talking points.
ShaneP wrote:Beam me up Paul! :D

You said the vfx look "stonkin". Is that a good thing? :P

Yes very sad about Anton. I too hope this is a great final film from him.
Yeah stonking is british for impressive!! sounds like they have gone for a more realistic ship lighting scheme & the new warp bubble VFX is the most complex warp since STMP :D
Yes I felt good about the vfx when it was known that Peter Chiang was suping it. Everything I've seen so far vfx-wise has looked pretty spectacular. Love the space city and the use of Dubai as background plates. :thumbup:
ShaneP wrote:Yes I felt good about the vfx when it was known that Peter Chiang was suping it. Everything I've seen so far vfx-wise has looked pretty spectacular. Love the space city and the use of Dubai as background plates. :thumbup:
3rd trailer & new TV spot dropped a little while ago looks better & better I get a real ST5 vibe from the kirk/spock/bones scenes as well which as that was one of my favourite TOS movies is a good thing!!
http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/06/star-t ... 3-arrives/
http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/06/new-st ... -teamwork/
Wish I'd known to ask about that stuff with the flaming FRANKLIN (sounds like a gay Sesame St character) surrounded by plumes of fire. It's like somebody looked at VOYAGER's opening credits and said, 'replace the nebula with pyro.' (me, I'd've said, replace the Voyager with pyro.)
Kmart wrote:Wish I'd known to ask about that stuff with the flaming FRANKLIN (sounds like a gay Sesame St character) surrounded by plumes of fire. It's like somebody looked at VOYAGER's opening credits and said, 'replace the nebula with pyro.' (me, I'd've said, replace the Voyager with pyro.)
Sounds like they were very cagey with VFX info if they did not tell you about it perhaps it was another vendor doing that part. Bones\Spock find a Vulcan mineral deposit or something probably what detonates & causes the ring of fire after being released from the Franklin in space no-one can hear you light the fire as all warriors are cold warriors :e_wink:
My intent had been to talk with Atomic Fiction as well as do the three DNeg interviews, but as it turned out, I had to make do with just the one interview with Peter. I did wind up getting an interview (way too late for this article) with the concep art/vfx art director guy Hargreaves, but that will be more of a career piece that just includes BEYOND rather than focusing on it, and will be in the August ICG.
It is strange but back when the first trailer and images dropped showing the alien girl in the white makeup I thought she looked and sounded like Rihanna.

And now, for the pop kids:

Rihanna sings "Trek me out"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MBXBMkcUNo

The inevitable Trek pop tune.

In space, no one can hear me scream.

I love the visuals but I HATE the idea of a pop tune slapped on the film. Not without precedent: The Beastie Boys and Sabotage. This song might actually be just during the end credits rather than in the film.
ShaneP wrote:It is strange but back when the first trailer and images dropped showing the alien girl in the white makeup I thought she looked and sounded like Rihanna.

And now, for the pop kids:

Rihanna sings "Trek me out"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MBXBMkcUNo

The inevitable Trek pop tune.

In space, no one can hear me scream.

I love the visuals but I HATE the idea of a pop tune slapped on the film. Not without precedent: The Beastie Boys and Sabotage. This song might actually be just during the end credits rather than in the film.
You seen this today the full music video including some brand new super flashy TOS era space VFX with a few brief shots of the Enterprise :eek: http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/06/rihann ... d-imagery/
I'm loving the vfx look for the film and even for this music video. The vfx for the film might be, for me at least, the best looking since the TOS era films. Have to wait and see but so far it looks terrific.

Just please film have a good story and characters to match.

BTW, the vfx for the video were done by The Mill.

8)
ShaneP wrote:I'm loving the vfx look for the film and even for this music video. The vfx for the film might be, for me at least, the best looking since the TOS era films. Have to wait and see but so far it looks terrific.

Just please film have a good story and characters to match.

BTW, the vfx for the video were done by The Mill.

8)
Trek 5 vibe again its same location they filmed the climax of the god thing erupting from the ground! Also this movie has a premiere on 7th July in Australia so we will know around then if its good or really good :wink:
ShaneP wrote:We will know soon then. :)
They released several new TV spots today Urban really nails it as McCoy in a good way...also Enterprise in spacedock looks a little STMPish but its within the Yorktown spaceport interior :)