Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By aslan
Didn't like this very much surprisingly. Felt flat and messy. Overload of cg some of which was below par. Enterprise looked good though. Three weeks later and little of it sticks in my mind.
By PaulILMFan
Just saw again at home in 4K UHD. VFX still stands up very well & looks utterly stunning :D I think it deserves the 2017 VFX Oscar for the complex but seamless work.

Still hope we get another with this cast but its not looking promising as this movie made $200m less than STID despite being better received.
By ShaneP
PaulILMFan wrote:Just saw again at home in 4K UHD. VFX still stands up very well & looks utterly stunning :D I think it deserves the 2017 VFX Oscar for the complex but seamless work.

Still hope we get another with this cast but its not looking promising as this movie made $200m less than STID despite being better received.

It is a great looking film and was enjoyable. I assume you are kidding around about the Oscar because it didn't make the Ten cut:

“Arrival”
“The BFG”
“Captain America: Civil War”
“Deepwater Horizon”
“Doctor Strange”
“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”
“The Jungle Book”
“Kubo and the Two Strings”
“Passengers”
“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”

Of those, I think The Jungle Book will win. It has previous multi-time winners in Legato and Andy Jones, it has bountiful character animation, and it just had all around excellent work.
By PaulILMFan
Jungle Book looked like a bad computer game to me way too fake looking made the SW prequels looks state of the art!

Rogue One out of that list had the best overall work although I did not care for the film at all apart from Vader!!!

The BFG had some terrible VFX work on the characters looked very fake to me as well due to some of the awkward movements!

Deepwater Horizon was another I felt the VFX were pretty average.

Passengers was not very VFX heavy either not sure how it even made the cut! Most of the average looking space work was seen before as well apart from the zero g swimming pool sequence.

Too late now but Beyond had a lot of complex & seamless work should have made the cut & won but as always box office talks to the academy voters so low box office = no oscar!
By ninja turtle
Among the movies nominated that i have seen, i think the best work is in " Deepwater Horizon" and "Rogue One". I have seen only youtube clips of BFG, and it looked to me the worst WETA animation to date. Jungle Book is very overrated, but i think it will win .
By vfx fan
I was bummed that Warcraft didn't make the cut. Boring-ass movie, but man, the orcs were breathtaking, certainly better than anything in The BFG, which I thought was mostly boring, despite having a fart joke that actually managed to make me laugh (kudos, because it's so hard to make fart jokes funny to people over 5).

I liked Passengers, partly because it was a space opera and partly because it upset SJWs...though if it weren't for the setting in that awesome-looking but horribly designed spaceship, I wouldn't have given two shits about the movie.
By ShaneP
I thought the work in The Jungle Book was terrific and very consistent considering multiple houses worked on it.

Rogue One was right up there and it also has previous winners in John Knoll and Hickel.

Star Trek's vfx was great too but it didn't make the cut so no go.

The BFG multiple giant shots fell apart at the end. When it was just the lone giant, the scenes were more effective. But the ending with all the giants looked no better than The Giant Slayer, that mess of a movie Bryan Singer directed a few years ago.

As a personal favorite, I would go with Deepwater, but there's no way that little movie is going to beat all of those giant spectacles. I liked The Jungle Book and thought the work was great and it also has the pedigree and the qualifications that usually mark an Oscar winner. That's my pick to win.