Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By vfx fan
I had high hopes that this would be the first good video game adaptation...but so far, it's got a 25% on Rotten Tomatoes, making it seem like it will be in line with the string of fantasy films starring Nicolas Cage or Jeff Bridges.
By ShaneP
I figured critics would savage it. Fantasy films and genre pictures are for the most part. This movie's appeal was going to come from genre fans and fans of the game. That's where its success will be measured. If it doesn't work for them too, well then it's not a success.

I'm rooting for it though.
By TylerMirage
I had high hopes that this would be the first good video game adaptation...but so far, it's got a 25% on Rotten Tomatoes, making it seem like it will be in line with the string of fantasy films starring Nicolas Cage or Jeff Bridges.
If I had a nickel for every time that I gave a sh** about Rotten Tomatoes, I'd be flat-broke.
I figured critics would savage it. Fantasy films and genre pictures are for the most part. This movie's appeal was going to come from genre fans and fans of the game. That's where its success will be measured. If it doesn't work for them too, well then it's not a success.

I'm rooting for it though.
Same. I really don't care how well it does critically (I mean, it'd be super if it wasn't completely trashed). It'll be a big VFX-fest and push the bar for animation, which is all I'm personally expecting/looking forward to.
By ninja turtle
I saw it and in my opinion the scale, the magnitude and the complexity of the vfx work in this movie are astonishing and unprecedented not only for ILM but also for every other company. It's insane.
By ShaneP
I saw it and in my opinion the scale, the magnitude and the complexity of the vfx work in this movie are astonishing and unprecedented not only for ILM but also for every other company. It's insane.
Wow cool. So were you a Warcraft game fan going in? How did it do as far as adaptations go?
By ninja turtle
Wow cool. So were you a Warcraft game fan going in? How did it do as far as adaptations go?
Never played Warcraft , really not a fan. But i highly admire Blizzard cinematics. The movie's narrative is a bit messy and it jumps from scene to scene too frantically. It's too fast paced and the carachters are not well developed,but it's not the disaster many crtics say. But i went to see it primarily for ILM VFX and i wasn't disappointed at all in that regard.
By ShaneP
Never played Warcraft , really not a fan. But i highly admire Blizzard cinematics. The movie's narrative is a bit messy and it jumps from scene to scene too frantically. It's too fast paced and the carachters are not well developed,but it's not the disaster many crtics say. But i went to see it primarily for ILM VFX and i wasn't disappointed at all in that regard.
Ah yes. I've read elsewhere that the narrative jumps from point to point pretty quickly. But I am glad you liked the film overall considering you weren't already a fan of the game yet enjoyed the film.