Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By aslan
There is a teaser for the trailer online. Jeez I'm so back and forth on this. It's always been a vfx interest only film for me and some of them look great but some look awful, and I think it's the directorial choices that is the problem. Some real Stephen Sommers type shot design in there.
By ShaneP
Oh hell don't say it's that bad. I'm going to wait until I can see it clearly and officially. I'm just going to wait til Friday when it officially comes out.

But, shot design is a big deal. It's really everything(or damn close to it).

So when you say Sommers it conjures images in my head of characters and objects flying, zipping, and camera zip zagging as well as some quick cuts and animation betraying the technique.

For example, compare Gore Verbinski's Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl with Sommer's Van Helsing(I'm trying to pick films relatively close in release time so technological advances doesn't unfairly handicap one). One filmmaker knows how to frame and compose vfx shots to great advantage. The other…just okay.
By aslan
Perfect example Shane and I completely agree.

Look, I don't want to cast judgement based on fifteen seconds of footage. We all know trailers lack context, and I am viewing it on a phone!!. But when you feel yourself literally cringe, well...

You are so right, shot design is everything. I don't understand why some directors still persist in presenting shots that were ineffective and played out years ago. It's as if they work in a vacuum and don't watch other films.
By ShaneP
Yeah I gave in already and watched the teaser. :P

I assume what you're referring to is the 15 second teaser for the trailer.

Yeah, not impressed. Very lackluster looking. I hate to be down on this film but I didn't see one single awe-inspiring image.

That said, I'm still watching the full trailer and hopefully it's convincing enough to get me to the theater.

But yes, you were spot on with the Sommers reference.
By ninja turtle
Are you referring to the guy jumping on the back of the eagle? that's over the top, with the fake-looking mountains backdrop! i wouldn't go too far comparing it to Sommers work , but it reminds me a bit the artificial look of the The Hobbit movies. I hope the trailer itself will be much better.
By aslan
Well Ninja, that's one of the bad shots. The one that really made me wince was the orcs running towards camera in the snow, low angle shot, and the lead cartoon orc lands his foot on the camera lens.

I am hoping for the best but I think it may turn out to be a mixed bag.
By ninja turtle
Yes,Aslan, that shot in the snow looks off, but it's also very brief(maybe less than a second?). Hard to judge. What worries me the most is that scene with all the humans in front of the castle: they look superimposed, like they were shot in another place and badly composited in those shots. But i have faith in the project, since the top ILM artists worked on it for almost two years, and Jones is capable director.
By ShaneP
"sigh"

I really don't know what to say.
Then don't. :P

I'm right with you though on this one.

The exact opposite reaction from TFA's trailers and even The Revenant's.
By ninja turtle
The carchter animation looks solid, imho. I was even blown away by the female orc in the river : some of the best cg i have ever seen. I hated mostly the enviroment work, very videogamish, and some of the comps(also that shot of the orc throwing the horse! ).
By ShaneP
Oh the female orc in the river is amazing. There's some really astounding stuff in the trailer.

But there's also some stuff that….I just want to wait and see this thing on the big screen and see it all in context. Right now it's just blathering about pixels.
By ShaneP
Okay, instituting a #NeverTooLateMediaBlackout for this film.

I'm going to take my positive thoughts on the female orc in the river and the hero shots of the orcs and go black on this.

Go ILM and Duncan Jones!
By TylerMirage
Hot dang, some of those close-ups are phenomenal!

Go for it, Shane! Do the blackout! I wish I had the strength to do that with trailers (and even reviews and opinions of movies once they're out). Stick with what you liked about it and live your life that way. :thumbup:
By ShaneP
:omg: Especially the last clip. You are right. The orcs do look absolutely amazing. Sitting up there having a conversation…the movement feels right. That is next level stuff right there.

edit: There is something I can't quite put to words about those characters on the hillside. They should be absolutely ridiculous. But they look so damn real. You can see the breeze causing their clothing to flap and hair to move. I'm going to see this I've decided.

Knock us out ILM! 8)