Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By ninja turtle
I especially love the close-up shot: it looks really great.

And in the Wired article, Cary Phillips says that Warcraft is the most amazing work ILM has done in the last 20 years.
By splinebender
Really proud of the work on Warcraft. Wish it was hitting theaters sooner than it is. Hey Ninja Turtle, I animated that Space Cowboys shot!
By malducin
Well at least it's a boost that the studio thinks it's Summer blockbuster material instead of a more quite March release. I do like the lit version better, because you can see his face much better. Hopefully we'll get a trailer by Christamas.
By bigj1968
I genuinely cannot believe how beautifully rendered the Orc is.I asked my daughter and girlfriend if they thought it was make up or cg, both said make up, says it all,you can look on those images and actually believe the Orc was real.love it
Jon
By ShaneP
I genuinely cannot believe how beautifully rendered the Orc is.I asked my daughter and girlfriend if they thought it was make up or cg, both said make up, says it all,you can look on those images and actually believe the Orc was real.love it
Jon
They do look like beautifully sculpted maquettes or models.
By ninja turtle
Really proud of the work on Warcraft. Wish it was hitting theaters sooner than it is. Hey Ninja Turtle, I animated that Space Cowboys shot!

I love that sequence from Space Cowboys,Splinebender: it's beautifully rendered and animated. In fact, when i saw the movie for the first time, i thought they were real persons in spacesuits!

About Warcraft, i'm expecting groundbreaking work from you, guys :thumbup:
By ShaneP
Wired has a short interview with director Duncan Jones and has some mentions about ILM's work:

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/warcraft-d ... nes-intel/

Jeff White and Jason Smith were on the set with Bill Westenhoffer, and they used extensive mocap.
Some nice tidbits there. I still don't know why they're waiting so long to release it though. This article mentions there are 50 shots left to final. That means they might actually be finished by now. So we have to wait with this thing in the can for nearly an entire year?

Damn you Star Wars! :P
By AspiringLagrangian
We shall see how well the Orcs hold up in daylight scenes or when interacting with real humans, OR when they move! Static photorealistic CG renders aren't exactly uncommon nowadays. I remember how incredibly realistic Azog the Pale Orc looked when they revealed a screenshot of him for the first time, and was wowed by it. Alas, he looked obviously CGI in the actual movies, especially when interacting with real things. Then again, Azog, I heard, was a rush job. Their main VFX focus in the Hobbit movies was Smaug, and him being the most convincing (the only convincing) CG dragon ever to roar on the big screen clearly proved that. Besides, WETA at the time seemed more keen on pushing the limits of VFX with Planet of the Apes series.
Last edited by AspiringLagrangian on Fri May 29, 2015 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ShaneP
We shall see how well the Orcs hold up in daylight scenes or when interacting with real humans, OR when they move! Static photorealistic CG renders aren't exactly uncommon nowadays. I remember how incredibly realistic Azog the Pale Orc looked when they revealed a screenshot of him for the first time, and was wowed by it. Alas, he looked obviously CGI in the actual movies, especially when interacting with real things. Then again, Azog, I heard, was a rush job. Their main VFX focus in the Hobbit movies was Smaug, and him being the most convincing (the only convincing) CG dragon ever to roar on the big screen clearly proofed that. Besides, WETA at the time seemed more keen on pushing the limits of VFX with Planet of the Apes series.
Welcome to the ILMfan boards. I agree with Azog. The animation is where these things succeed or fail. However, in Hal(and ILM) We Trust!
By malducin
Well I felt the same about Planet of the Apes, I liked the secondary characters better, Koba and the orangutan, and on the Hobbit films, Azog's second in command.

The only bad thing about the film being pushed to the Summer is that any trailer might not come till very late this year. Can't wait to see what Hal and co. have cooked up.
By ninja turtle
There is a shortened bootleg version of the Comic-Con footage on the web(only the part with the orcs) . I saw it and i can say that, right now, i'm bit disappointed from what is shown : the quality of the images si pretty bad so it's not the best way to judge it, but it looks like a Blizzard cinematic, nothing groundbreaking or amazingly photorealistic. The mo-cap makes the orcs look like they are moving underwater, it dosen't look fluid . I'm pretty sure that the movie will be glorious and the cgi mindblowing on june 2016, but for now it dosen't look so.
By ShaneP
There is a shortened bootleg version of the Comic-Con footage on the web(only the part with the orcs) . I saw it and i can say that, right now, i'm bit disappointed from what is shown : the quality of the images si pretty bad so it's not the best way to judge it, but it looks like a Blizzard cinematic, nothing groundbreaking or amazingly photorealistic. The mo-cap makes the orcs look like they are moving underwater, it dosen't look fluid . I'm pretty sure that the movie will be glorious and the cgi mindblowing on june 2016, but for now it dosen't look so.

ninja, do you really think the film will look like a Blizzard cinematic?

This is not a shot at you personally ninja, but if the quality of the images in the bootleg is pretty bad then you can't really judge it at all.
By ninja turtle

This is not a shot at you personally ninja, but if the quality of the images in the bootleg is pretty bad then you can't really judge it at all.
Yes i know, i acted like one of those people on internet bashing the CGI on movies, without knowing what they are talking about: i apologize for this. But i have great expectations for this movie and i don't want to be disappointed: not only because the vfx are done by ILM, but also because the supervisors are some of ILM artists i admire the most.
By AspiringLagrangian

Yes i know, i acted like one of those people on internet bashing the CGI on movies, without knowing what they are talking about: i apologize for this. But i have great expectations for this movie and i don't want to be disappointed: not only because the vfx are done by ILM, but also because the supervisors are some of ILM artists i admire the most.
Subject: First look at Warcraft orcs!

I suggest you take a gander at this comparison between a still captured from the potato cam footage and the high-resolution still of Orgrim from the same shot. Please open image in new tab and zoom-in to appreciate the astronomical difference.
Potato version: Image
Original Still (High Res version) : Image

That is certainly better than any ILM's recent mo-cap efforts like Hulk or Ninja Turtles.
By AspiringLagrangian
Is that top image representative of the image quality of the bootleg?
Most of it is even blurrier than that shot....

here's another one:
Image....

the best 'clearest' shot, though, is probably this

Do note that the green lighting is casted by the opening dimensional portal.